WWI US Air Service Pilot Hard Flight Helmet

militbuff

I just picked up a very nice group of items named to a WWI Pilot by the name of Albert Marion Green. This was his flight helmet and I can't seem to locate any infomation inside the helmet on whether it was US or French made? I tried to read the buttons and they appear to say NY but I can't make out the maker. I'm not sure if he went overseas or not. If anyone could shed any info on the make of this helmet, it would be much appreciated! Dan

post-1945-1342655516.jpg

post-1945-1342655809.jpg

It does look a lot like the French Roold flight helmet as shown at http://www.militaryheadgear.com/items/10323 but is not identical.

I agree that it is a French helmet made by Roold. They also shipped helmets to England and Italy.

BTW, I believe the correct name for your pilot was: Alfred Marion Green. Born 16 April, 1893 and raised in Centreville, MD. He died in 1947.

Cliff

I agree that it is a French helmet made by Roold. They also shipped helmets to England and Italy.

BTW, I believe the correct name for your pilot was: Alfred Marion Green. Born 16 April, 1893 and raised in Centreville, MD. He died in 1947.

Cliff

Cliff, many thanks for all of your assistance! I went on to Ancestry.com in a fit of desperation (14 free days!) and I actually found the following:

Name: Alfred Marion Green

Race: white

Address: Centerville, Queen Annes Co.

Birth Place: Centerville, Md.

Birth Date: 16 Apr 1893

Comment: ERC 7/25/17 pvt 1c, School of Mil Aero Cornell Univ 8/25/17; Av Sec Sig C Selfridge Field Mich. 10/30/17; Hq Det Flying Cadets Gerstner Field La. 12/15/17, Hon disch 2/10/18, ORC 2/11/18 2 lt Av Sec Sig C, Gerstner Field La.; Hazlehurst Field N.Y. 4/5/18; 352 Aero Sq 7/30/18; Aero Gen Sup Dep Garden City N.Y. 11/5/18; 1 Res Wg Hazlehurst Field N.Y. 11/15/18, Hon disch 1/9/19

Just out of curiosity, why would he be issued a French Roold Helmet if he didn't go overseas? It appears that once he got his wings, he stayed in the US at the 352nd Aero Squadron, among other places.

Dan

Cliff

Cliff, many thanks for all of your assistance! I went on to Ancestry.com in a fit of desperation (14 free days!) and I actually found the following:

Name: Alfred Marion Green

Race: white

Address: Centerville, Queen Annes Co.

Birth Place: Centerville, Md.

Birth Date: 16 Apr 1893

Comment: ERC 7/25/17 pvt 1c, School of Mil Aero Cornell Univ 8/25/17; Av Sec Sig C Selfridge Field Mich. 10/30/17; Hq Det Flying Cadets Gerstner Field La. 12/15/17, Hon disch 2/10/18, ORC 2/11/18 2 lt Av Sec Sig C, Gerstner Field La.; Hazlehurst Field N.Y. 4/5/18; 352 Aero Sq 7/30/18; Aero Gen Sup Dep Garden City N.Y. 11/5/18; 1 Res Wg Hazlehurst Field N.Y. 11/15/18, Hon disch 1/9/19

Just out of curiosity, why would he be issued a French Roold Helmet if he didn't go overseas? It appears that once he got his wings, he stayed in the US at the 352nd Aero Squadron, among other places.

Dan

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone... :think:

I found one nearly identical (including the brim) on page 102 of Military Collectibles by Joe Lyndhurst. He says it is a WWI private purchase helmet - the one in his book was worn by a German pilot.