UASF Flight Helmet

bgoode

This is my grandfather-in-law's flight helmet. I was wondering if any of you can give me more information about it. Also, is it possible to restore it? It was stored in the garage in a box, and the mice completely destroyed the foam inside. Thanks.

Front:

post-95058-1342496723.jpg

Back:

post-95058-1342496716.jpg

Inside:

post-95058-1342496892.jpg

manayunkman
WOW.........That's a job!

All I can do is wish you "GOOD LUCK" :thumbsup: with the project!!

Well JS that sure put a positive spin on it. :crying:

I would sure love to see a photo of the top of the helmet.

Can't figure out how the red tape transformed.

M

Yes, it can be repaired, depending on how much money you are wanting to put into it and how original you want it. I know guys that do this kind of thing for a hobby. You are talking a few hundred dollars. PM me if you are serious.

That looks like a "Bill Jack" helmet. The two black blocks on the sides look like snap on oxygen mask hook ups! Very nice. What did he fly in? The inside looks pretty good to me....not really chewed up at all. Are you sure the foam just didn't break down. It is very common for the foam to either turn to dust or turn to gum. If the inner styrofoam liner is intact, the only thing wrong is that the custom liner has come apart, and it is very common the see these helmets that way. I wouldn't hesitate to grab that off a table at a show. Nice piece!

Thanks for the help everybody, and sorry for the dyslexia in the title.

I would sure love to see a photo of the top of the helmet.

Can't figure out how the red tape transformed.

I do not have the helmet currently, it is at my wife's grandmother's, along with his uniform. I will be there this weekend and can get more pictures then.

That looks like a "Bill Jack" helmet. The two black blocks on the sides look like snap on oxygen mask hook ups! Very nice. What did he fly in? The inside looks pretty good to me....not really chewed up at all. Are you sure the foam just didn't break down. It is very common for the foam to either turn to dust or turn to gum. If the inner styrofoam liner is intact, the only thing wrong is that the custom liner has come apart, and it is very common the see these helmets that way. I wouldn't hesitate to grab that off a table at a show. Nice piece!

He flew B-29s, B-47s, and B-52s, but I do not know what he was flying when he wore this helmet. When we pulled it out of the box, the styrofoam was crumbled up and pretty much fell out, so I assumed it was from mice. The canvas liner that was inside of that seems to be in decent shape.

When we pulled it out of the box, the Styrofoam was crumbled up and pretty much fell out, so I assumed it was from mice. The canvas liner that was inside of that seems to be in decent shape.

If the canvas was OK, it might not have been mice or anything like that. Motorcycle racing helmets from the 60's and 70's used similar material for absorbing impacts. There are now 'Vintage Classes' at motocross events where people race old restored motocross motorcycles, and many wear vintage safety gear from that era - Some people have tried to go back and find old racing helmets to wear for these events only to find the Styrofoam has turned to a crumbled mess. Ozone and other things in the air break down the foam sometimes.