WW2 Fixed Bail USMC Helmet ?

manayunkman

Super-nice lid! The mis-matched components just add to its attraction as a "been there" used helmet.

manayunkman
That is just an all around great helmet set!! You may not have the snap in headband, but the next best thing (if not better in my book) is the double bar buckle headband.

Great one!!

Troy

I never noticed that about the buckle.

Thank you for pointing it out.

M

manayunkman
Early transitional Inland liner, the shell is nearly perfect ... and both have their original paint ;)

Even the liner's chinstrap seems to be an early one, in excellent condition ... great set indeed !!

Merci Etienne.

Vous etes tres gentil

manayunkman
Super-nice lid! The mis-matched components just add to its attraction as a "been there" used helmet.

Thanks Ian

manayunkman

So the USMC really didn't have an official helmet color ?

So this could be a USMC helmet ?

Any one know anything about Fogel ? He is from Pennsylvania.

Thanks to all

M

So the USMC really didn't have an official helmet color ?

So this could be a USMC helmet ?

Thanks to all

M

Yes, it could certainly be a Marine's helmet. The first two initials and spelled out last name is consistent with the way the USMC personnel marked their equipment. The helmet shell paint is original and the correct color for the period. Marine issue helmets were not painted a different color from the factory.

I found a J.E. Fogel in the Marine Corps Muster Roles for WWII. He served in the Marine Detachment on the USS Enterprise. Could this be your guy? Couldn't find a J.F. Fogel.

Corpsmancollector

Very nice set up Manny. I think everything has been said here about the various components, but all round a killer set. Thanks for posting.

Will

As Ron said, its a transitional Inland liner. Appears to have a nice rayon nape strap too, too bad it doesnt have the snap in sweatband though. Overall a killer helmet set with all the fixings.

Philip

Philip,

Did any of the transitional Inland liners actually come with a snap in sweatband? I know the snaps are on the sides for one, but I've seen several that nearly all have the early double wire sweatband. A couple of years ago I was lucky enought to acquire an early helmet that had a great USMC 1st tyep cover that also had an early Inland transitional liner (I will attempt to post picks later). It too had a double wire sweatband. M's helmet looks very little used and if any early transitional Inland liner would have its' original sweatband, it would M's I would think IMHO.

CG

Thanks to all

M

Hi Manny,

I searched through the USMC muster rolls and closest match I could find is John E Fogel (Enlisted 4/8/1942). He was from Minneapolis, but it's not to say he didn't wind up in PA. No Fogel's with the middle initial F (which I believe is what is written) whose name starts with J.

There is a John (NMI) Fogel that appears in the 1952 and 1953 muster rolls but no specifics on his home state.

In the event the cover was added, and this is in fact an Army helmet, there are two Fogel's with a first name who begins with J and middle initial F:

Joseph F Fogel

Enlisted - 2/11/1943

DOB - 1922

Residence State - California

Enlistment/Nativity State - Ohio

John F Fogel

Enlisted - 6/5/1941

DOB - 1916

Residence/Nativity/Enlistment State - Pennsylvania

the PA guy of course would seem to be a fit. He's from PA and enlisted early, which would corroborate with the early liner (not that someone who enlisted later would not have been issued an early liner also).

Edit: I just looked up the PA guy and he was a 1st LT in the 14th AAF, 308th BG, 375th BS. He died in 1967 and burried in Hecktown, PA. With the AAF connection, this helmet may not have been his. That, or the AAF connection could explain why the helmet is in such good condition as he would have rarely worn it.

Philip,

Did any of the transitional Inland liners actually come with a snap in sweatband? I know the snaps are on the sides for one, but I've seen several that nearly all have the early double wire sweatband. A couple of years ago I was lucky enought to acquire an early helmet that had a great USMC 1st tyep cover that also had an early Inland transitional liner (I will attempt to post picks later). It too had a double wire sweatband. M's helmet looks very little used and if any early transitional Inland liner would have its' original sweatband, it would M's I would think IMHO.

CG

No liners actually were manufactured and shipped with any sweatband, that would have been added later at the point of distribution. The sweatbands were made separately and by different contractors. The fact that there are snaps for the snap-in sweatbands indicates that was the original intent. I have also seen many that have early (double-wire) adjustable sweatbands instead of the snap-in variety. By the time the liners were manufcatured the adjustable sweatband was obviously beginning to be distributed. I'm sure many of these liners had original snap-in sweatbands that were later replaced with the adjustable type, how many or where and when they were changed would be impossible to tell.

manayunkman

As far as these transitional liners are concerned I just happen to have another one.

I posted it separately but will show the liner here.

It has the same configuration made by the same manufacturer.

Female snaps for a snap in liner and double bar buckle sweat band.

post-51189-1342630289.jpg

Both these Inland Transitional liners are pretty much exactly the same.

Not exactly ... look at the neckband suspension, the first one has the early feature, folded ends whereas the second does not ;)

The second one is a not only transitional but very uncommon, because the deletion of snaps seems to have been effective before the folded ends disappeared ... but there's some exceptions, leftover use ??

A great looking USMC Helmet Set you have got there, Very Nice indeed :thumbsup:

(Did you try to Research this Marine as of yet, Could be well worth it in Return if i was you i would.)

manayunkman
A great looking USMC Helmet Set you have got there, Very Nice indeed :thumbsup:

(Did you try to Research this Marine as of yet, Could be well worth it in Return if i was you i would.)

I'm not sure he is a Marine.

I do not remember if the cover came with the helmet or if I married them.

I have had the helmet since 1996.

Thanks

M