WW1 USMC Overseas Hat

cwnorma

All,

Today at the Lee County Gun Collectors Show in Ft Myers FL, I picked up a WW1 USMC 2nd Lieutenants Overseas hat.

This hat belonged to 2nd Lt Paul S. Taylor, 95th Company 6th Regiment.

It appears that Taylor may have been wounded, as a check of the Ancestry.com muster rolls has him dropping off the rolls in May 1918, and the next time he shows up is in Sept 1918 as "Sick in hospital." By October, he was transferred to a convalescent hospital in the US.

What I am trying to ascertain is was he wounded, or did he contract influenza?

Some of you guys are really good at digging up details, any help would be greatly appreciated.

post-594-1201397268.jpg

Very nice hat....this should get you started from the May rolls....5 Jun 1918 returned to duty from 1st Army Crops School. 14 Jun gassed and evac to SOS Hospital....I'll guess a number of Marines from his company got gassed on that day and they were sent to SOS hospital #26....I am thinking he must have been sent there initially...before you find him again in Aug 18 when he shows back up on the rolls sick in hospital. Dirk

Geez, this Florida trip is going really well for you isn't it. :lol: Very nice cover you found there Chris. I very much like the officer's piping. A great find, especially at a gun show, although, I have found my fair share of goodies at gun shows.

I can't complain. I'ts funny, when I left Texas, I only brought a limited about of money with me, because I figured I wouldn't find anything to buy, and what I brought would be plenty... Thank goodness for ATMs!

Chris

Geez, this Florida trip is going really well for you isn't it. :lol: Very nice cover you found there Chris. I very much like the officer's piping. A great find, especially at a gun show, although, I have found my fair share of goodies at gun shows.

great EGA, please post front and rear pics in the EGA Discussion forum

Brig,

It will have to wait till I get back to Texas, but I will.

Chris

teufelhunde.ret

Great looking pisscover, fantastic condition for its age... can't wait for the EGA pic's. Great find Chris! s/f Darrell

Chris,

We discussed it, but is the better half REALLY, REALLY ok with this? LOL Mine is giving me hell for taking $45 out of the Texas property fund!

John

John,

She is just glad I don't spend my money on strippers and booze! :lol:

Chris

Chris,

We discussed it, but is the better half REALLY, REALLY ok with this? LOL Mine is giving me hell for taking $45 out of the Texas property fund!

John