USMC helmet

Justin

...um no.... i said wow i like this...so he said you can have it i said "really" and he said "Yes i dont care" thats not me taking advantage..thanks tho :rolleyes:

some people dont care about history, it doesnt interest them as it does us, to us this helmet would be an awsum treasure to them its just an only steel helmet.

i was talking to my sisters partner last night and showed him the intercooler i put on my SUV, he didnt know what one was or how it worked, hes not real interested either, this is the same guy that was told by a mechanic his car was stuffed and would cost $$$ to fix (if only he knew what an oil change was, it would never have happened) he ended up giving us the car and we fixed it up, my brother drives it now, thats not us taking advantage of him, thats him not knowing or caring about his cars.

if this helmet was not given to justin, it would either do 2 things, rot away in a basement or go on ebay, on ebay i suspect there wouldnt be much history behind it, and someone would proberly get them selves that book shelf end they have always wanted and the seller would get abit of cash.

by the looks of it, it went to a good place where it will get well looked after.

my 2cents

It went to a good home. It now has someone that appreciates it for what it is. Maybe just try to find out a more about your friends Grandfather so that you can have a little write up with it when you display the helmet.

Its Korea all the way.

Enjoy it.

...um no.... i said wow i like this...so he said you can have it i said "really" and he said "Yes i dont care" thats not me taking advantage..thanks tho :rolleyes:

Did you explain what it was worth? If not........................................

Did you explain what it was worth? If not........................................

Steve

you mean monetary or sentimental.....obviously this person didn´t care about both.

I got for free(monetary) an award cross given to Otto Skorzeny.The owner give it to me because she knew i would take care of it properly!

30 years in my posetion and this item will die with me. Not all is about money. I have given old helmets away to starting collectors....the smile on their faces is beyond monetary value.....for me.

Niece helmet indeed. Try to find more data from the owner so you can honor it properly.

Karl

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....the same with collectors. People shake thier heads when they see what I collect. As for replacing old equipment, my Father was told to replace his "old" flight helmet, but never did. He had finaly found one that fit "just right" and was not going through all that again! Dave

Im sorry steve is this a problem to you??? would you rather me give it back so it can go back in the basement?..witch by the way is not a finished basement so the helmet would just rot down there..so hmmm sit in a cold dark basement or sit on a display stand in a collection

By the way hes father knows i have it,

It went to a good home. It now has someone that appreciates it for what it is. Maybe just try to find out a more about your friends Grandfather so that you can have a little write up with it when you display the helmet.

Its Korea all the way.

Enjoy it.

i keep being told ww2 by the family my buddy said maybe hes grandad was in ww2 and korea becuase he dad said he joined the army in 1940 when he was 19

We were wearing a combination of those steel pots and liners thru the Vietnam era... periodically changing the sweatbands and chinstraps when they broke. We repainted everything in the 70's for CG Inspections. It's very rare to find that untouched as issued from supply helmet. We cooked in them, shaved out of them, took bird baths, etc., etc. Nice lid kid... take care of it.

S/F,

Chuck

We were wearing a combination of those steel pots and liners thru the Vietnam era... periodically changing the sweatbands and chinstraps when they broke. We repainted everything in the 70's for CG Inspections. It's very rare to find that untouched as issued from supply helmet. We cooked in them, shaved out of them, took bird baths, etc., etc. Nice lid kid... take care of it.

S/F,

Chuck

I plan to thumbsup.gif , i'm a very serious collector

Justin,

Amen---when I turned in my backpack to get the "new" ALICE pack in 1976 at Camp Geiger, it was stamped BOYD 1944 and was one of the better ones being turned in---USMC was never one to turn its back on something just cuz it had a little age on it....

still isn't :rolleyes:

I own a camo helmet cover....the so called "1st pattern" w/o foliage slits....that has a small Marine emblem that looks like it was stencilled, not inkstamped, and is the pre 1953 design. Could have been applied anytime from post WW2 thru the Korean War.

And I looked at an M1 helmet that had been purchased directly from a Marine who enlisted in 1944 and discharged sometime in the mid to late '50's. It was a fixed bail shell, Korean War liner, and 1953 dated cover. A very typical mixed vintage rig worn by the Marines. No way did they throw away a perfectly serviceable helmet shell just because the Army called them obsolete.

This helmet cover is not dated

88thcollector

So, I guess if you are at a yard sale and find a great WW2 painted helmet for a buck, you will insist on giving them another thousand or so. It was a gift and there is no problem with that. Of course, if the kid's dad says ,"where is the old helmet," that may be an issue.

Steve

So, I guess if you are at a yard sale and find a great WW2 painted helmet for a buck, you will insist on giving them another thousand or so. It was a gift and there is no problem with that. Of course, if the kid's dad says ,"where is the old helmet," that may be an issue.

Steve

If it's just a yard sale, I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat. However, if it was my friend's yard sale, I would tell him that the helmet is very valuable, worth at least hundreds of dollars. If he still insists on selling it for a buck, or for a few bucks, I'll be glad to take it off his hands. Just my 2¢ worth.

Steve

MY buddys father knows i have it. I did not STEAL this helmet, i was given this helmet. Thank you.

I think the point's been made about the way it was acquired. Let's try to steer this thread back to the helmet itself.

It's a Great helmet, and would be a cherished addition to any US Collection. I've been searching one for years.

Whether you got it for free, or paid pennies for it at a flea market, if something isn't being well taken care of or duly appreciated by the current owner, and they're not opposed to you taking posession of it, then there's no problem. It's not like you lied to him and said it was worthless or anything. Need I bring up the navy cross at the yard sale story?

It's an amazing find, and you are now the caretaker of one of the nicest looking helmets ever worn by US Troops. Make sure you get as much of his story as you can, write it down, and keep it with the helmet.