USMC helmet

Justin

Hello guys im happy to post this one, this is a USMC helmet, fixed bales 1st type cover USMC insig on the front 100% origanal helmet, i was at my buddys house and i found this in his basement he said he was his grandads helmet from ww2, he knew nothing about it, besides that it was brough home from the war by John Powell hes grandad, He new i was into this kinda stuff so he told me to take it w00t.gif ..and that i did!! here ya go. w00t.gif

post-2305-1201381856.jpg

post-2305-1201381862.jpg

post-2305-1201381868.jpg

Greg Robinson

Nice helmet and camo cover but the Marine emblem is post WW2. Maybe the man served well past WW2.

Greg

Nice helmet and camo cover but the Marine emblem is post WW2. Maybe the man served well past WW2.

Greg

so maybe used in korea as well as ww2?

Justin,

Very nice friend you have there. thumbsup.gif I'm surprised he would give up a family keepsake so easily.

Yes he is very nice i was surprised to so was my dad when i brough it home :lol:

He can mean two things ;) haha

1. He means, that if he was your friend: He would keep it, because he likes it to much.

2. Or...why should anyone give their family items away.

:lol:

He doesnt know anything about ww2 or any US war, to him the helmet was worth less, so its more like i saved it from his basement :lol:

he might have givin it away to the Salvation army or Goodwill if you didnt take it

one man's junk is another man's treasure.

he might have givin it away to the Salvation army or Goodwill if you didnt take it

one man's junk is another man's treasure.

Man? lol it was 2 years ago, we were both 14 at the time :)

so maybe used in korea as well as ww2?

Justin,

Yes, the emblems were not applied to the covers until the 1950's. Perhaps your friend got the time period mixed up? Nice helmet though.

CB

Yes, the emblems were not applied to the covers until the 1950's. Perhaps your friend got the time period mixed up? Nice helmet though.

CB

Yes but the shell is a fixed bail are there are no slits in the cover he said hes grandba was in ww2, ill ask him next time i see him in school hehe :lol:

Yes but the shell is a fixed bail are there are no slits in the cover he said hes grandba was in ww2, ill ask him next time i see him in school hehe :lol:

fixed bail doesn't mean it wasn't still in circulation in Korea. find out when the man was born and you may know your answer. often times gear stays in circulation for years and years in the military, especially the Marine Corps. I know this from experience, my 50 cal machine gun in Iraq was dated maufactored 1943 and rebuilt 1969, I was using it in 2005

Greg Robinson
fixed bail doesn't mean it wasn't still in circulation in Korea. find out when the man was born and you may know your answer. often times gear stays in circulation for years and years in the military, especially the Marine Corps. I know this from experience, my 50 cal machine gun in Iraq was dated maufactored 1943 and rebuilt 1969, I was using it in 2005

I own a camo helmet cover....the so called "1st pattern" w/o foliage slits....that has a small Marine emblem that looks like it was stencilled, not inkstamped, and is the pre 1953 design. Could have been applied anytime from post WW2 thru the Korean War.

And I looked at an M1 helmet that had been purchased directly from a Marine who enlisted in 1944 and discharged sometime in the mid to late '50's. It was a fixed bail shell, Korean War liner, and 1953 dated cover. A very typical mixed vintage rig worn by the Marines. No way did they throw away a perfectly serviceable helmet shell just because the Army called them obsolete.

He doesnt know anything about ww2 or any US war, to him the helmet was worth less, so its more like i saved it from his basement :lol:

You mean you took advantage of his lack of knowledge?...........A fine friend!

I own a camo helmet cover....the so called "1st pattern" w/o foliage slits....that has a small Marine emblem that looks like it was stencilled, not inkstamped, and is the pre 1953 design. Could have been applied anytime from post WW2 thru the Korean War.

And I looked at an M1 helmet that had been purchased directly from a Marine who enlisted in 1944 and discharged sometime in the mid to late '50's. It was a fixed bail shell, Korean War liner, and 1953 dated cover. A very typical mixed vintage rig worn by the Marines. No way did they throw away a perfectly serviceable helmet shell just because the Army called them obsolete.

Amen---when I turned in my backpack to get the "new" ALICE pack in 1976 at Camp Geiger, it was stamped BOYD 1944 and was one of the better ones being turned in---USMC was never one to turn its back on something just cuz it had a little age on it....

Greg Robinson
Amen---when I turned in my backpack to get the "new" ALICE pack in 1976 at Camp Geiger, it was stamped BOYD 1944 and was one of the better ones being turned in---USMC was never one to turn its back on something just cuz it had a little age on it....

Those M1941 packs stayed in service from 1942 until the mid '70's. The ones made from 1944 until the end of production in the late '60's all looked the same but for the color canvas.

I bet that was BOYT instead of BOYD. Boyt Harness made a zillion of those during WW2.

You mean you took advantage of his lack of knowledge?...........A fine friend!

...um no.... i said wow i like this...so he said you can have it i said "really" and he said "Yes i dont care" thats not me taking advantage..thanks tho :rolleyes:

I always stop by the sick bay for old med corps items. Get blankets and such all the time from them. Old med corp dishware, blankets, etc. I was acting AG for all of IOBC and lugged around a tripod from WWII.