WWII Victory model 4" .38 special

Had a gun show today and with nothing better to do, I decided to sneak in and see what was stirring. I stopped by an old friends table. While talking to him, a guy showed up with a bag of bayonets and knives. We were digging through the bag and haggling prices when this little beauty walked up. I didn't have my glasses, so I couldn't see much of the detail. I thought it was a later model .38 in M3 holster as I couldn't see any proof marks or ordnance property marks. I thought it would make a good display gun for my early 80's aviator set-up as these are what we carried when I first got in.

When I got home and got my glasses on, things started to look better as I noticed the V in the serial number and then found the property mark on the top strap. I emailed Charlie Flick and he let me know that it was made in May 44, probably a Navy model. I am rather pleased, the holster really matches the pistol, so I figure it a double score.

fc1nk3.jpg

wkju3s.jpg

1i1ky0.jpg

Tonight, after getting it documented, it took it's place among it's new bretheren

24pc708.jpg

Now, just need to find a lanyard and get my Navy cartridge pouch back again.

Thanks for the Help Charlie

Visit my eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/crustyw4scorner/

35lyhcy.gif2d29461.gifixd2rm.gif

Love them Victory's. Nice grab, Hawk! How come things work out for you when you look at stuff without glasses? Usually that makes stuff happen in the seller's favor!!

Always interested in purchasing items pertaining to the 505 Parachute Infantry Regiment in WWII (82nd Airborne Div.). Please send me a PM if you have something.

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

I like your pistol display hawkdriver, do you have the dowels angled or straight in? I went to the show this afternoon but didn't see much I needed or wanted.

Collecting and learning since 1970

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2019.gif

Life Member, Disabled American Veterans
Member Dorsey-Liberty Post 14, American Legion

Great pick up, Hawkdriver! I really love that holster too. I have a pre-war (1922) version of this revolver and would love to have a Victory model. Congrats!

Kevin

Have you ever noticed that people who are brutally honest seem to take more pleasure from the brutality than from the honesty?

donation2010.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

Nice pre-safety version. You should be able to find a lanyard ring for it easily.

I would be interested in knowing how you were able to date the gun. You have a resource for that?

Thanks,

G2

Yes, my information came from our own member, Charlie Flick. He was quite helpful and informative and seems to have a soft spot for these pistols. Contact him and give him your number and he will tell you when and whom it was made for.

As for the lanyard ring, I found a guy on gunbroker.com selling them and had several.

I have a couple of those, one being almost identical. One is a 1942, 4" barrel in .38 spl & the other is a 1940, 5" barrel in .38 S&W.The pitting is most likely from living in the leather holster. Mine has some as well. I had a 3rd one, but sold it. Someone buggered it all up.

"I fear all we have done was to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve". Vice Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Number of defenseless people rounded up & exterminated in the 20th century because of gun control: 56 MILLION!

Hawk......Thanks for the close-ups! Overall the piece is in fine shape, and a great addition. Good luck with your bit of fine tuning!

Thanks, now it has put a bug in me to find a 1917 .45. Might as well collect the entire group now!

M1marksman, I also have a 5", but it has the British proof marks. Here they are together.

iw7v9x.jpg

Hawk I love it the holster does make it a double score your rite. I have wanted to add one of these to my collection for a while. Looked at one at the last SOS guy had a few nice one and plenty of knowledge about them wish I could remember his name. If you don't mind me asking what did you have to give for the rig? The dealer at the show wanted between 6 and 8 hundred depending on condition and model. But the last time I was looking at them was a couple years before and you could get a nice one for six hundred. So I was wondering if they have gone up in value or was it just dealer mark up at the SOS or both? Thanks for showing it to us I really like it and hope to pick one up myself soon. Just need to figure out what I should pay for one about what you just got here.

If you don't mind me asking what did you have to give for the rig? The dealer at the show wanted between 6 and 8 hundred depending on condition and model.

Normally, I wouldn't talk price, because if I ever decided to sell them, then folk will throw it back at you, "Well, you only paid X for it" but, I doubt I will ever get rid of these, so here goes.

The 4", I paid $375 for the pistol and holster, but that was a little bit of family and friends price as I got it from a fellow collector. He was originally asking $450 for it. I've had the 5" Brit marked for a little while and I paid $525 for it.

I hope that helps.

Thanks Hawkmfor sharing that with me I know how it is taking prices. But I had a feeling you where keeping these and it was worth asking. I don't really know anyone who's into these old revolvers who have bought one I could ask. Anyway I was thinking if I could get a nice one for 450 I would feel good about it. The one you just got with the holster I would pay that for any day I had the money. Good to know I can get one for that kind of money makes me feel better. Like your pistol a lot let me know how it shoots if you plan on taking her to the range. I know some of you guys don't shoot your collector guns but I'm the other guy that does.

I will shoot it at some time, but I rarely shoot my military pieces anymore. I just don't want to take the chance of blowing one up by accident. To many stories of splintered receivers and that would make me cry.

I have a small collection of early Colt DAs and they are all very soft shooters with cowboy-type loads. I worry some about the springs, they're hard to find for the M1892/94/96/01/03s, but the quality of the pre-to-early WWII pistols is just not to be found today and they are very solid sidearms.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Had a gun show today and with nothing better to do, I decided to sneak in and see what was stirring. I stopped by an old friends table. While talking to him, a guy showed up with a bag of bayonets and knives. We were digging through the bag and haggling prices when this little beauty walked up. I didn't have my glasses, so I couldn't see much of the detail. I thought it was a later model .38 in M3 holster as I couldn't see any proof marks or ordnance property marks. I thought it would make a good display gun for my early 80's aviator set-up as these are what we carried when I first got in.

When I got home and got my glasses on, things started to look better as I noticed the V in the serial number and then found the property mark on the top strap. I emailed Charlie Flick and he let me know that it was made in May 44, probably a Navy model. I am rather pleased, the holster really matches the pistol, so I figure it a double score.

fc1nk3.jpg

wkju3s.jpg

1i1ky0.jpg

Tonight, after getting it documented, it took it's place among it's new bretheren

24pc708.jpg

Now, just need to find a lanyard and get my Navy cartridge pouch back again.

Thanks for the Help Charlie

I'd really like to see/know more about that Beretta with the rack number. Maybe a new thread?

Thanks,

Kevin Williams

Hawk I understand what you mean about being scared to shoot them. I try only to buy one that I feel are still in good enough shape to fire. I try to find low pressure rounds to witch isn't always easy these days no +p rounds for sure. If you do decide to fire her I would like to know about accurate she is. Always wanted to know what kind of performance you could get out of these old pistols. Make sure you post a pic of the target after a few rounds off the bench. Thanks for showing it to me anyway

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.