How to mount medal in shadow box.

Third Herd

I got a shadow box base for the flag case with my Dad's casket flag. The patches and stripes I'll use loops of drafting tape on the back , the ribbons and collar brass I'll just stick them in the cardboard with some tape to hold them in place. How do you mount medals on that thick board? A nephew got his original medals, but I still don't want to harm these. Why can't it be easy like "his" Russian Guards Badge, with a screw back. He was in the 76th Division and in the Honor Guard for a Russian General and the Honor Guard was supposed to get the Guards Badge. The officers got their Guards Badges, but not the enlisted.

How do you mount medals on that thick board?

What I did for my father's box was to simply cut out a little slot the exact size of the pin back, and then put a tiny dab of silicone glue to hold it fast.

They laid flat and looked good - trick was in making the slot square to top & bottom of the case, and not too big.

In other words, I needed a ruler and a sharp knife.

Another method of attaching is to mark where the medal is to be placed and to drill/punch some small diameter holes level with where the brooch mount will be. Then, feed some thin, soft wire through the holes and around the brooch pin then out again to the back of the board. Then, both ends of the wire can be twisted together until you have the correct tension to hold the medal in place squarely and the method of attaching can't be seen from the front.

Whichever of these ways you use, be sure to ease the weight of the planchet OFF the ribbon, if the medal hangs.

I mount medals in rykers with a cloth or felt base. Pin the broach and then sew a few loops around the top of the suspension ring to take the weight off the ribbon

Thanks for the ideas, totally forgot about the weight of the medal on the ribbon. My WWII and newer medal are mounted on matte board by cutting a slit for the pin, put doubled over mylar tape through the pin and taping the ends to the back, but I store them flat.

• 4 months later...
ZeketheAwesome

When I mounted medals for a display for my grandfather, I did exactly what Brig did. I think that is the best way to display medals for a shadow box.