Japanese - American Soldier Named WWII M1 Helmet liner

USMC-RECON0321

USMC-RECON0321

I picked up this helmet liner recently on a trade / sale deal. It came with a 442nd patch and photo. I believe this to be a WWII Japanese American Soldier named helmet liner. The liner has the green coated “A” washers inside and made by IMP. The Name painted on the front, “Okayama” only comes back with 3 NARA records found (so far), One out of Arizona and two out of Hawaii. Enlistment dates of 1941, 1943 and 1944. The bad new is, I have no further information to go on, so not sure if I’ll be able to figure out for sure who’s helmet liner this actually belonged to.

The picture is signed “To Hirano, Pal Jimmy My boy” and date taken on the back as March 2nd 1948 and signed 4/8/48 on the front?? So not even sure if this picture belongs to the helmet owner?

post-33000-1342156508.jpg

post-33000-1342156521.jpg

post-33000-1342156534.jpg

TheGermanCollector

Here's more info

I bought it near pearl harbor from an older shop owner who had the liner near the back of his shop the rest came with it .

USMC-RECON0321
Here's more info

I bought it near pearl harbor from an older shop owner who had the liner near the back of his shop the rest came with it .

Hey, small world!! So I guess we could say that narrows it down to the two names in Hawaii. What do you think of the picture, do you think it's Okayama or not related per say to the liner? Being dated 1948, wasn't the 442nd deactivated in 1946?

Troy

TheGermanCollector

To be honest I have no idea. I asked if he had any more military items and he brought the items out. I would assume it could be related.

USMC-RECON0321
To be honest I have no idea. I asked if he had any more military items and he brought the items out. I would assume it could be related.

We may never know, but all are great in their own right!!

Thanks

I agree with Franklin45. This is a v ery unusual example of Japanese-American soldiers. The pictures really help to lend credence to the whole story.

A Signal Corps soldier of Japanese descent serving in 1948 in Germany ? note what looks like the name Heidelberg a city in the zone of U.S. Occuaption, unless their was a Photographers sutdion by the name of Heidelberg in Honolulu, You know like maybe Morris Heidelberg the Photographer :lol: to bad we do not see or know the rank of this guy even some ribbons would be helpful, but we cannot see any. The helmet may be his and was keep by him after he got out, but not necessarily worn when he was in the 442 RCT, if this guy was in fact in the 442, mnd you it is a good possiblity he will be a vet of the 442 but this type of name markings on liners was very common in any unit you can find in WWII, and into the 80s, of course this being a WWII liner we can say it was from the WWII period post war period, whit this guy in the photo wearing it post war.

While the Iding of this guy will be difficult if he was never in the 442 and say his older brother did ( thus the used Patch)with this guy in the photoBUT serving post war on Occupation duty in Germany which is what I suspect, BUT he may be the one that did indeed serve in the 442 in WWII, and continued to serve after the war, as you know many Nisei served in the Army after the war as fully intergrated soldiers, inexample, 442 combat Infantry Vets were very prominate throughout the Korean War.

Heres but one of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroshi_H._Mi...ra#World_War_II

Since the guy in the photo is Signal Corps maybe he can found in the 442 Rosters in one of the HQ company Regiment, or Battalions, even in the other units of Nisei that made up the 442 RCT, this would be units that would be obvious to look at first, if was was a Signal Corps man down on the Company leval, then it would be impossible to Id unless the Company rosters are broken down by platoons then he might show up in a Rifle HQ platoon, but Company rosters are seldom broken down this way I have found.

I don't know if there was a "Morris Heidelberg Photography" in Honolulu but the name Heidelberg was very big in Mississippi once. One of the biggest if not the biggest Hotel's in Mississippi was the Hotel Heidelberg in Jackson. There was also a Heidelberg Photography but I don't know if it was located in Jackson, about an hour north of Hattiesburg or in Hattiesburg itself. I don't know if this soldier was in the 442 or not but I bet he did train at Camp Shelby, located at Hattiesburg, Mississippi and I would bet this photo was made in Mississippi.

Darby

USMC-RECON0321

Great information guys. Much research to do on this!! I just hope the photo isn't leading us down the wrong path and dates? Just saying, when "TheGermanCollector" purchased this set of stuff in Hawaii the shop owner wasn't real clear if it was a grouping of stuff from the same family or just misc items purchased at one time.

Maybe GermanCollector can tell us what kind of store or shop this was that he found it all in?

Troy

But it's the 1948 dates on the Photo that preclude a WWII training era one, It looks to like the IKE is being worn right ? Check the rosters of the 442, I know some members have them or remember where they seen them.

USMC-RECON0321

I see what you are saying. A picture taken after the war and leaving the 442nd.

A quick search of the 442nd though shows it was disbanded in 1946?? Unless I read that wrong. Also we still don't know for sure the picture and patch have any real connection to the helmet, other than being purchased from the same shop at the same time. But maybe they do :dunno:

Troy

USMC-RECON0321

I wish I could stay connected to continue the follow up of this thread, but I have to leave town on training until Sunday night. Can't wait to get back and see what has turned up!

Have a great weekend guys!!

Troy

I see what you are saying. A picture taken after the war and leaving the 442nd.

A quick search of the 442nd though shows it was disbanded in 1946?? Unless I read that wrong. Also we still don't know for sure the picture and patch have any real connection to the helmet, other than being purchased from the same shop at the same time. But maybe they do :dunno:

Troy

The unit was deactivated in September 1946 in Hawaii, but was reactivated in 1947 as a part of the Hawaii Army Reserve, so If this guy was in the 442 it would be as a Reservist post war, but the wear of the OD Wool uniform, don't think wool uniforms were worn in Honolulu, my guess on the photo still would at the very least one taken in Heidelberg Germany while he was Occupation duty, the liner may be his or it was just an item thrown in with this small grouping, like the patch, with the only thing being related is they are all connected to differant EX GIs of Japanese descent from this area.

Here is a photo of a liner of a soldier in the 442nd, sold on ebay a few years ago. It came with a shell and from all respects looked to be a wartime combat helmet...the blue band distinguishes it from the photos that I have been able to find. Of course. all those have been black and white photos and the blue can be inconspicious.

post-3673-1342292097.jpg

Here is a liner (pictured without the shell) that I believe belonged to Woodrow Wakatsuki, a Lt. that worked with the marines in 1945 in the PTO as liason/translator, according to family comments...similar to Yoshida's helmet.

post-3673-1342292341.jpg

USMC-RECON...that's a great helmet liner--and together with a photo of the soldier makes it a very special grouping, congrats! :thumbsup:

USMC-RECON0321

Wow,, Great pictures and information guys! Of all the pictures posted I don't notice any with a number above the name, any ideas on that?

Thanks

Troy

Wow,, Great pictures and information guys! Of all the pictures posted I don't notice any with a number above the name, any ideas on that?

Thanks

Troy

Thats why I believe that this liner may be either unrelated to the 442nd RCT of WWII, or be completly unrelated to the 442nd RCT, or at the very least the 442nd Inf of the 1950s. The number above the name here can be a roster number,,, but this fahsion is more of a Basic training thing, if a Basic training liner who bought or how did it get to Hawaii ?