Dad's DI and tags

hink441

My Dad gave me some more stuff the other day. I got one of his dog-tags and a DUI. I also got a artillery collar device and a Va NG service medal. I must say the Virginia medal is a very nice looking medal. His dog tags are interesting in that the Army mis-spelled Disciple. My Dad was a reserve Army Artillery Officer in 1961. I have been unable to find any info on the 442nd Field Artillery and was looking for info on this unit. Thanks for looking and any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris

post-50776-0-48849800-1400110230.jpg

Are you sure he was only in the Army from 1961 on ? I say this as this unit the 442nd Artillery was a Virginia National Guard unit, it was a new unit activated after WWII from assets of the 227th field Artillery Battalion which was in the 29th Infantry Division in WWII, the 227th was redisignated as the 442nd Field Artillery Battalion at Richmond on 2 July 1946, it was assigned around the same time became a part of Virigina's 176th Regimental Combat Team, this unit was disbanded in July 1959, the 442nd Artillery was inactivated a little earlier in June of that year. The Officers branch you have there, will despite the missle being on it, be the Branch insignia for Artillery, this was the Badge for this branch after 1957, it combind both Field Artilery and Anti Aircraft Artillery in to one big Branch, this has been talked about forever here on the forum, it will be very confusing :blink: so the branch indsignia is A-Ok, it is the time period and the component, Army National Guard as opposed to Army Reserve, that needs looking at.

I notice your Avatar, it is the Unit Crest of the 111th Artillery VANG, this was the unit the 442nd Artillery was consolidated with when it was disbaned, is there some conection with this unit to your Father ?

Are you sure he was only in the Army from 1961 on ? I say this as this unit the 442nd Artillery was a Virginia National Guard unit, it was a new unit activated after WWII from assets of the 227th field Artillery Battalion which was in the 29th Infantry Division in WWII, the 227th was redisignated as the 442nd Field Artillery Battalion at Richmond on 2 July 1946, it was assigned around the same time became a part of Virigina's 176th Regimental Combat Team, this unit was disbanded in July 1959, the 442nd Artillery was inactivated a little earlier in June of that year. The Officers branch you have there, will despite the missle being on it, be the Branch insignia for Artillery, this was the Badge for this branch after 1957, it combind both Field Artilery and Anti Aircraft Artillery in to one big Branch, this has been talked about forever here on the forum, it will be very confusing to novices :blink: so the branch indsignia is A-Ok, it is the time period and the component, Army National Guard as opposed to Army Reserve, that needs looking at.

Patches, Thanks for the info. That really makes sense. He was in the Va NG from 1956 until the late 1960s. He probably had this from his earlier time as an enlisted cannon-cocker. He was a graduate of the VA NG OCS academy in 1961. I thought a reserve commission and a NG commission would be the same. I guess they are not. :blink: Thanks for clearing that up!!

The 111th F/A DI was my Dad's. I have several of these from him and was puzzled when he gave me the 442nd DI. I had not previously known that he was part of this unit.

Chris

Patches, Thanks for the info. That really makes sense. He was in the Va NG from 1956 until the late 1960s. He probably had this from his earlier time as an enlisted cannon-cocker. He was a graduate of the VA NG OCS academy in 1961. I thought a reserve commission and a NG commission would be the same. I guess they are not. :blink: Thanks for clearing that up!!

The 111th F/A DI was my Dad's. I have several of these from him and was puzzled when he gave me the 442nd DI. I had not previously known that he was part of this unit.

Chris

And there you have it glad could help, he was in this unit as an enlistedman the 176th Regimental Combat Team VANG, see image of patch below, do you have any of these patches laying around / or do you remember seeing any when you were little ?

post-34986-1342148672.jpg

Thanks again Patches, I don't recall seeing that patch before. I will have to see if I can find one !!

Thanks again,

Chris

Thanks again Patches, I don't recall seeing that patch before. I will have to see if I can find one !!

Thanks again,

Chris

You know form what I seen searching for an Image of this patch, sites that I was directed to , to copy Image were ones that sell it, they ALL appear like the image I posted to be Repros, DONT GET ONE THATS A REPRO :lol:

The A/A Artillery collar brass is interesting. It looks to be "silver". Is that because its gilding has worn off or is it a "white gold" finish example which were popular for a brief time?

The A/A Artillery collar brass is interesting. It looks to be "silver". Is that because its gilding has worn off or is it a "white gold" finish example which were popular for a brief time?

The collar device looks to be silver plated over brass. The back side is marked with only a "1K" and has the shorter style posts. I think it was made with a silver looking finish for a white gold appearance. It does not appear to be polished heavily, but there is a little brass peeking out in the worn high areas. :thumbsup:

Chris