1950s Marine Corps Recon Research Test Unit MCTU 1

Bob Hudson

Marine Corps Test Unit #1 in the late 1950's evolved into the 1st Force Recon Company (and the 2nd FRC). Most of what's posted xame from a Marine who was assigned to MCTU #1 in 1954, was one of 20 Marines sent to Army jump and pioneer schools in 1956.  I had a couple of his original orders, some uniforms, jump wings and a 2nd Force Recon Company pin.  You can read about the MCTU here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Corps_...issance_Platoon and this Marine was involved in pretty much everything described there and there are some cool photos.

But for now:

1.jpg

2.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

BigJohn#3RD

FS,

Very sharp grouping, never heard of the Pioneer School, Maybe Pathfinder School and now Sapper School? Still very neat group from a plank holder of a very dedicated unit.

Regards,

John

I suspect he was still wearing this piece when his started with MCTU#1:

9.jpg

He did time as an Embassy Guard so perhaps this dates from that duty:

10.jpg

No name in this one but look at those service stripes (which don't even reflect his last four years).

11.jpg

He joined the Marines at age 16 - he'd earlier joined the Navy but they found out he was 14 and discharged him (I saw the discharge paper and have his Navy peacoat). He volunteered for the draft and that someone got him into the Marines, and when they found out his age, he was able to get parental permission to enlist according to his son.

Here's a couple of WWII Muster Roll entries for him:

garciaapr44.jpg

garciajuly45.jpg

He was born April 1927 and the above Muster Rolls shows him in a replacement battalion in April 1944, which means he must have in fact enlisted before April 44, before he turned 17. He made PFC by July 44, when he was 17.

FS,

Very sharp grouping, never heard of the Pioneer School, Maybe Pathfinder School and now Sapper School? Still very neat group from a plank holder of a very dedicated unit.

Regards,

John

No pioneer school - just a pioneer of the Marine recon system. The first CO of the 1st Force Recon Company wrote a book "Fortune Favors The Brave" and outlines what happened when the Test Unit phase ended:

garciabook1.jpg

garciabook2.jpg

garciabook3.jpg

garciabook4.jpg

garciabook5.jpg

• 7 years later...
Bob Hudson

Someone has emailed me copies of documents from another member of Marine Corps Test Unit 1 - Sgt. Lyle Root. He shows up on the set of orders I posted at the beginning of this thread.  Before being assigned to MCTU #1, Root was with Recon Co Hq Bn 3Rd Mar Div.

0.jpg

1.jpg

1a.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Bob Hudson

Sgt Root had served in the Recon Co Hq Bn 3Rd Mar Div with Lt. Joseph Z Taylor who became platoon commander for MCTU 1.  I found this document online that explains a little bit of the start of what really was a recon research and development unit, R&D. .

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 5.01.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 5.02.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 5.03.47 PM.png