1930's Cavalry uniform question

robinb

I've owned this uniform for many years. In fact, I got it from the original owners sister. My question is, what are the second pair of holes for on the collar? Did they wear DI's there in the 1930's? And if so, what DI's would he have worn as a member of HQ Co. 2nd Cav Division?

MVC_002S.JPG

They would most likely have been what today's collectors call "patch type" DUIs that resemble the 2nd Cavalry Division SSI.

Could also be a Brigade HQ Troop, or even a Regimental, Squadron HQ Troop ? the lack of a Regimental # not withstanding may have been just a varietion on this disc.

craig_pickrall

These aren't the best photos for clear detail but you can make out that one of three men in both photos have DI's. Even in the original photos in the magazine I can't get decent detail. The cavalry trousers and boots make for a very sharp uniform.

These photos are from LIFE Magazine dated 6/15/42.

post-5-1342126040.jpg

post-5-1342126051.jpg

post-5-1342126060.jpg

post-5-1342126071.jpg

Were the Patch type crest worn in the 1920s and 1930s ? I,m of the belief that these came out in late WWII-Post War.

They would not likeley have been patch type DIs, but regimental ones as for the 9th or 10th Cav.

CB

Were the Patch type crest worn in the 1920s and 1930s ? I,m of the belief that these came out in late WWII-Post War.

Correct. EVERY patch type 2nd Cav Div I have seen has been one of the mid/late 40's pinback types. I've never seen a screwback 2nd Cav Div patch type DUI or even a pinback example that I felt was pre WW2. I don't believe such a thing exists.

As previously stated, some sort of regimental DUIs would have been worn on this jacket.

They would not likeley have been patch type DIs, but regimental ones as for the 9th or 10th Cav.

CB

The poster said he got it from "the original owner's sister" and I assumed that when he said a "member of HQ Co. 2nd Cav Division" that it meant the original owner.

For KurtA-

post-943-1342140198.jpgpost-943-1342140215.jpg

The poster said he got it from "the original owner's sister" and I assumed that when he said a "member of HQ Co. 2nd Cav Division" that it meant the original owner.

For KurtA-

For me!!?! Cool! First I have ever seen and can't wait for you to send it to me!

For KurtA-

Very Good. A first for me as well, a screw back Patch Type Crest, where you pull this one out of atb? Your Campaign Hat ? :lol: These or this DI, is it yours ?

The dui's were moved to the lower lapels in 1941. Prior to that they were placed on the upper lapels above the US and Cav brass. This guy must have been in the service at least until that point. Is this a 1926 or 1940 service coat? There were a lot of regiments switched in and out of the 2nd Cav Division in the 1929-1942 period. Was the family African-American (to place him in either the 9th or 10th Cav)?

The dui's were moved to the lower lapels in 1941. Prior to that they were placed on the upper lapels above the US and Cav brass. This guy must have been in the service at least until that point. Is this a 1926 or 1940 service coat? There were a lot of regiments switched in and out of the 2nd Cav Division in the 1929-1942 period. Was the family African-American (to place him in either the 9th or 10th Cav)?

DIs were on the lower lapels since When ? I do know that prior to the M1926 coats DIs were worn on the choaker collars BEHIND the Branch Discs and U.S, Discs, after the itrodution of the M1926 coats then they were moved to the lower lapels, am I missing something ?

Here is a U.S. Cavalryman Circa 1933 a Trooper by the last name of Lyle Jones I believe he either wasa regular of the 6th Cavalry or a National Guardsman of the Iowa 113th Cavalry. note the DIs being on the lower lapels.

post-34986-1342147860.jpg

Nice coat. Love anything from the old 2nd Cav Div.

I'd imagine that it's a M1926, what with the garrison belt hanging with it. Also, is that patch the wool variety?

This should help ID him. I didn't remember that these trousers were marked like this. The jacket is dated 1937. I got 6 pair of breeches and 4 belts with the jacket. In the coat pocket is a postcard with Garold Galloway and addressed to Redmond, Oregon. Post marked in 1942. The leather garrison belt is dated 1938. Any dates in the trousers are from the late 1920's.

MVC_003S.JPG

And luckily enough, I just got these locally from one of my pickers about 3 weeks ago. I've had the jacket for 15 years or more. The lady I got it from said it was her brothers. She is caucasion.

MVC_005S.JPG

VolunteerArmoury
1126378[/url]']

Actually the DUIs were worn above the brass on the collar from 1926 and moved to the lower lapel below the branch insignia in 1928 then moving them to the shoulders as we currently wear them in 1947 upon adoption of the dual national & branch insignia like that of officers. I can't recall the policy but a reference to this is on page 516, first paragraph (1st full sentence even) of Mr. Bill Emerson's Encyclopedia of United States rmy Insignia and Uniforms.

Very Good. A first for me as well, a screw back Patch Type Crest, where you pull this one out of atb? Your Campaign Hat ? :lol: These or this DI, is it yours ?

I wasn't in the Army that long ago. I found this one at the old Greenbelt National Guard Armory militaria show in Maryland in the late 1970's. I have a pinback example, unhallmarked, that I think is one of the WW2 period types mentioned earlier in this thread. Somewhere I've seen images of 2nd Cav Div troops wearing the patch type during the first active period of the division's life in 1940-1942.

• 11 months later...

Here is another example of a patch Type crest being worn way before the late war early post war period.

The 4th Division being worn on the Garrision Cap by MG Lloyd R. Frendendall and another unknown/unnamed officer, probably a staffer when he was the GG of the 4th Division, circa spring/summer of 1941, Frendendall commanded the Ivy Division from October 1940 to August 1941.

post-34986-0-83104600-1372796316.jpg