1943 and 1/2 Suspenders!

Baron3-6

Just wanted to post this for fun. Years ago at the SOS a fellow had a stack of these and I noticed this one oddball set. I was able to negotiate a much lower price, as these were not considered "collector worthy." They were used by some soldier as is, because his laundry tag is inked on both sides. There is a US and date on the 1936/"43" side, but it's very faded. B 9169 is the tag, with O 3358 crossed out.

I used them for several reenactments a few years ago, and when stitch Nazis would make remarks, I would simply tell them that they were the last batch made in 1943, and rather than let all the extra right-sides go to waste, they had to keep using them for the good of the war effort!! :lol:

In reality, a very talented QMC repairer took two messed up suspenders, cut them apart, and made a good set for re-issue. It wasn't a pretty set, but some GI wore it. He saved Uncle Sam at least $2.77 in 1945 money. :D

DSCN1741.jpg

Bravo!! "Stitch Nazis" :lol::lol:

As far as I'm concerned, gear like this is highly collectible. I've got a few pairs of the later model "big ring" '36s with shoulder straps which were made from recycled M1A1 Gas Mask Bag straps; they still bear the tailors' layout marks where they were lapped over to contour them to the torso for greater comfort in lugging the Gas Mask.

Really cool :w00t: Thanks for posting! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the M1936 (Modified) Suspenders which were made using salvaged parts from Gas Mask Carriers...

post-3226-1342977604.jpg

These tailor marks and remaining threads are on almost every component; here, a view of the underside...

post-3226-1342977906.jpg

On the shoulder pad section, you can see where it was once folded over:

post-3226-1342978068.jpg

Very nice! Nice to see that nothing was wasted....I mean there was a war on!

Yeah, you said it! :thumbsup:

According to Army records, a serious shortage of cotton and canvas duck fabrics began to be felt in 1943, and this gave birth to all these oddball put-togethers and multi-colored pieces that we modern screwball collectors like so much :lol:

Here's my set of transitional suspenders.

:w00t: :w00t: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What beauties...I've got a pair of those Hinson '42s with square strap tips too! They seem to be pretty rare.

Hi!

Here my Hinson 1942 suspenders. Unluckily not square tip straps, but definitely two tone and stone mint. One strap is khaki, one is light green. In the picture this is hardly noticeable but in person it looks better...

Fausto

post-8381-1343077498.jpg

Great items guys.

Fausto, I have exactly the same pair of transitional suspenders : same colors, same maker and same date.

Dealing with square tips, I have recently bought a M-1936 musette made in 1942 by the Langdon tent & awning Co. with square tips closing straps and thought they had been repaired... :pinch:

I will post pictures tomorrow, Laurent M.

Fausto:

1st class Suspenders!! ;) :w00t:

I have experimented, and sometimes if I use existing house or remote lighting rather than the camera's flash, the colors are more easily distinguishable.