ORIGINAL LAFAYETTE ESCADRILLE MEDAL

Belleauwood

Belleauwood

The general opinion is that members of the Lafayette Escadrille as well as those that flew in the Lafayette Flying Corps purchasd their own medals. To my knowledge, there is little or no verification that this is the case, but has been discussed with other collectors that have many years experience with Lafayette memorabilia.

The were two types of this broached medal. One was entitled "ESCADRILLE LAFAYETTE" , while the other is "LAFAYETTE FLYING CORPS". Both examples were made in Paris by the firm Lindauer Graveur. Both types have been observed belonging to the same flyer on more than one occasion. Due to the fact that both types have been observed in individual groupings of Lafayette Aviators, has prompted the thought that these medals were privately purchased. I think the scarcity of these medals, and the very few in known collections, contribute to the mystique of how these medal were secured by LFC pilots.

Any discussion that will shed light on this matter will be welcomed.

Dennis

post-3422-1342009718.jpg

Very rare medal, beautiful !

Lindauer is the name of the engraver (graveur), not the maker.

Edmond-Emile Lindauer (1869-1942) is the designer of several french medals and coins.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

YES...a beautiful and very rare medal indeed !!

Thanks for sharing !!

Vic

Corpsmancollector

Wow. Thank you for posting this Dennis, I didn't even know they existed until now.

Thanks,

Will

• 9 months later...
  • 8 years later...