Historically Significantly Dated Military Headstones

WaA257

Not to be morbid, but I have always been fascinated with the history present in cemeteries. I especially appreciate the graves of our military personal. It's amazing what you can find in a local cemetery in a small state like Delaware that is connected to major events in WWII. Here are a few, not to take away from any of our vets that gave their all, I just like the historical aspect of these connected to major incidents and battles:

post-12412-1341950361.jpg

post-12412-1341950377.jpg

Killed at 0400 on D-Day landing a Glider...

post-12412-1341950755.jpg

Exercise Tiger Caualty!

post-12412-1341950775.jpg

Victim of the Malmedy Massacre!

There were also several Delawareans in other battles including 2 killed on the U.S.S. Shaw at Pearl Harbor on 07 DEC 41 and another that was a Ranger killed at D-Day but they are buried elsewhere.....

Not to be morbid, but I have always been fascinated with the history present in cemeteries.

I do the same thing wherever I travel. I don't think it's morbid at all. Like you said there is a lot of history in cemeteries.

everforward

I have been making my own photo archive of 29th Division headstones, primarily from WW1 since they tend to be more descriptive about the unit the soldier served in.....I also look for soldiers with specialized tasks, such as a PFC attatched to an Airship Company or something similar.....stuff you don't find too often, even in a cemetery.

Schwitzgold's death

http://books.google.com/books?id=wLIgMYs4k...ved=0CGIQ6AEwCA

post-12412-1341950755.jpg

Exercise Tiger Caualty!

post-12412-1341950775.jpg

Victim of the Malmedy Massacre!

There were also several Delawareans in other battles including 2 killed on the U.S.S. Shaw at Pearl Harbor on 07 DEC 41 and another that was a Ranger killed at D-Day but they are buried elsewhere.....