Tom Lowe USMC Amtrak Driver Iwo Jima Survivor

manayunkman

I appreciate the all well wishes.

And I look forward to the day that this is all put to rest.

This is the 4th collection that has come and gone.

I have no doubt that I will bounce back.

Hunting this stuff down is in my blood.

Thanks again to all

Peter

I believe I would have paid the price just to keep the group together. It was one of the best Iwo Jima groupings that I have seen in a long time.

I also know from experience that people ooh and ahhh over groups like this, and become enraged at the mere hint of breaking it up...but are also unwilling to pay a fair value. When something has to be sold, the owner often has few options.

Isn't it sad that the term "fair value" gets thrown into a discussion of what is really priceless history being torn apart. I understand Peter got in a bind and had to take care of his family situation. But too often I see the next guy seeing nothing but profit and ignoring the history while tearing apart groupings. Absolutely heart breaking.

ludwigh1980

Saw the these items sale on ebay, totally understand when one needs the money, one needs the money. Many of the groupings that I have bought have been directly from the family, who it should be the most important to. Why, they needed the money, that life. A grouping goes to pieces, I almost went after the HBT's because I am uniform collector and place most of the groups importance on the uniform. Given another time of the year I might have tried to go after the whole thing but taxes draw near and it's not really what I collect. I sympathize with Manayunkman. If it was not for money most of these groups wouldn't even leave the family. You know how many people have given me their dear heirlooms because I was a history buff and a preserver of military history. Not very many at all. When I say I will give you a thous... for that, things tend to happen specifically when they call me.

History is not lost, it is just spread around a bit.

Terry in Colorado

• 1 year later...

I didn't even know this was being sold off last year or I'd've made a play to keep it together, as well. I guess you win some and you lose some

• 4 years later...
manayunkman

I look back at this wonderful group with the interesting father son story and truly regret ever selling it.

Kurt Barickman

Peter, I get what you are saying as I too regret selling some groups too. But at the end of the day, this stuff is really just stuff.

Kurt

• 1 year later...