Happy Birthday to the Warrant Officer Corps!!!!

hawkdriver

The official birthday of the Army Warrant Officer Corps is July 9, 1918, when an act of congress established the Army Mine Planter Service as part of the Coast Artillery Corps. The rank of warrant officer has a long history. For example, evidence suggests that Napoleon used warrant officers as communications links between his commissioned officers and the rank and file soldiers. The military grade of warrant officer dates back two centuries prior to Columbus, during the fledgling years of the British Navy. For the US Army, the lineage of the warrant officer can be traced back to 1896, specifically to the Headquarters Clerk (later designated the Army Field Clerk).

teufelhunde.ret

:bravo: To all Army Warrants :salute:

The USMC has had warranted officers since 1916 when the Commandant of the Marine Corps made a request to the Secretary of the Navy for the creation of two warrant grades, Marine Gunner and Quartermaster Clerk. Those appointed were to be selected from the non-commissioned officer ranks.

On 26 August 1916, Congress increased the Corps strength, which included adding the rank of Warrant Officer; 43 Marine Gunners and 41 Quartermaster Clerks would be appointed. On 22 May 1917, due to commissioned officer shortages, all but three of the appointees were commissioned as temporary second lieutenants. In 1918, the grade of Pay Clerk was added.

In June, 1926 Congress created the commissioned warrant grades of Chief Marine Gunner, Chief Quartermaster Clerk and Chief Pay Clerk. Requirements for promotion to chief warrant officer were six years of service as a warrant officer and an examination to qualify.

During World War II, Congress abolished the titles of Marine Gunner / Chief Marine Gunner, Quartermaster Clerk / Chief Quartermaster Clerk, and Pay Clerk / Chief Pay Clerk. Instead they would be designated Warrant Officer / Commissioned Warrant Officer. In 1943, all Marine warrant officer ranks were aligned with the other services. They were Warrant Officer and Commissioned Warrant Officer.

Thank you for the education gentlemen! Being a non-serving member, this question had never come to light. I'm a bit smarter then 3minutes ago.

CONGRATULATIONS to Warrent Officers of our Armed Forces! :bravo:

I'm a bit smarter then 3minutes ago.

If you were a hard bar commissioned officer, I would say that we warrants did our jobs today!

That is an old chart. The Army CW5 now looks like a quarter slot in a pop machine, a single black line the length of the bar.

The official birthday of the Army Warrant Officer Corps is July 9, 1918, when an act of congress established the Army Mine Planter Service as part of the Coast Artillery Corps. The rank of warrant officer has a long history. For example, evidence suggests that Napoleon used warrant officers as communications links between his commissioned officers and the rank and file soldiers. The military grade of warrant officer dates back two centuries prior to Columbus, during the fledgling years of the British Navy. For the US Army, the lineage of the warrant officer can be traced back to 1896, specifically to the Headquarters Clerk (later designated the Army Field Clerk).

The U.S. Navy has had warrant officer ranks since 1775.

That is an old chart. The Army CW5 now looks like a quarter slot in a pop machine, a single black line the length of the bar.

Roger that!

post-8022-1341931861.jpg

• 4 years later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC

I read the article where this information was copied from but I am looking for official documentation. Would you by any chance have the references for these orders? Thanks!

:bravo: To all Army Warrants :salute:

The USMC has had warranted officers since 1916 when the Commandant of the Marine Corps made a request to the Secretary of the Navy for the creation of two warrant grades, Marine Gunner and Quartermaster Clerk. Those appointed were to be selected from the non-commissioned officer ranks.

On 26 August 1916, Congress increased the Corps strength, which included adding the rank of Warrant Officer; 43 Marine Gunners and 41 Quartermaster Clerks would be appointed. On 22 May 1917, due to commissioned officer shortages, all but three of the appointees were commissioned as temporary second lieutenants. In 1918, the grade of Pay Clerk was added.

In June, 1926 Congress created the commissioned warrant grades of Chief Marine Gunner, Chief Quartermaster Clerk and Chief Pay Clerk. Requirements for promotion to chief warrant officer were six years of service as a warrant officer and an examination to qualify.

During World War II, Congress abolished the titles of Marine Gunner / Chief Marine Gunner, Quartermaster Clerk / Chief Quartermaster Clerk, and Pay Clerk / Chief Pay Clerk. Instead they would be designated Warrant Officer / Commissioned Warrant Officer. In 1943, all Marine warrant officer ranks were aligned with the other services. They were Warrant Officer and Commissioned Warrant Officer.

I was blessed during my company command to have a brilliant Warrant Officer in my motorpoool. Bless him and all the other Warrants that makes sense of the puzzles no one but they seem to understand and overcome!

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Teufelhunde.Ret.. disregard my last, I found the answer in Ranks and Grades 1775-1969 by the Historical Division. Thanks!

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Major Z,

I see you collect USA QM Corps items... I wonder if you have any USMC QM devices in your collection at all? Would love to see any if so! PM me sometime!

S/F
Sgt Maddox

I was blessed during my company command to have a brilliant Warrant Officer in my motorpoool. Bless him and all the other Warrants that makes sense of the puzzles no one but they seem to understand and overcome!

Thanks to all for the great information! As a retired USMC Chief Warrant Officer, I'm indebted!

SF
Chuck