"The Story of G.I. Joe" (1945)

Sabrejet

My favorite part of this movie is when they attack the town and bring in a 57mm M1 gun and it's obvious they are using live ammo.

Yes...they let go about 5 rounds in 30 seconds! :w00t: This is the start of that scene. The A/T gun is being towed by the Dodge.

post-8022-1342032273.jpg

The man's life read like a Greek tragedy, and hardly anyone in the public had a clue until many years later. If someone made a re-make of the movie today, I can assure you that it'd be a totally different movie, they'd focus on the horror that was his personal life (look what HBO did with the Hemmingway story recently, they really played fast and loose with the reality and made him seem like a lout even more than he probably was - which says a lot).

Pyle would probably have hated knowing anyone would focus on his private life in any movie, I think this is a film best left as the original version which mostly focuses on the GIs...

carthage light guard

It's a shame that the Indiana Department of Natural Resources decided to give up the Pyle Home and Museum due to budget cutbacks, but it looks like their friends group is making an effort to keep both open:

http://www.erniepyle.org

The website mentions a "nationwide fundraising campaign" to start in 2012. Hopefully they will have some luck in preserving the memory of this American hero.

Jeff

On the remake of this, (Maybe with a differant title or such) Thats why I stated WITHOUT the Standard Hollywood Bull Crap, in can be done, you just have to threaten the producers and directors, like this guy did at the photo on the bottom :lol:

But anyway I would like to see a remake a excellent remake simply because the original, while good for it's time is widly fictional in so many ways, it jumps all over the place, AND I don't like the idea of the name Waskow, the real name of this Captain, was changed to Walker, ( the Hollywood people said Army says it did it, the Army said Hollywood did it, who knows) Now one can say that it a movie that transends the individual and that the charactors stand for ALL the Combat Soldiers of the Army, and thats ok, but while it may have been ok for those days, ask anyone in those days if they know who Henry Waskow was, they'll say no, and thats the sad part of it all, YES if your making a a story that's about real men USE THE REAL MEN'S NAME, but it WAS it is far as I,m concered to NOW tell not only the real story of of Ernie Pyle, and no not just his personel life but the lives of the REAL Front line GI's he met and came to know, this inculding Captain Henry, T Waskow, B Company, 1st Battalion, 143rd Infantry Regiment, 36th Infantry Division, Texas Army National Guard.

post-34986-1342058387.jpg

I debated posting such a sad picture, but the eloquent words which accompanied it persuaded me.

post-8022-1342076927.jpg

"The figure in the photograph is clad in Army fatigues, boots and helmet, lying on his back in peaceful repose, folded hands holding a military cap. Except for a thin trickle of blood from the corner of his mouth, he could be asleep.

But he is not asleep; he is dead. And this is not just another fallen GI; it is Ernie Pyle, the most celebrated war correspondent of World War II.

As far as can be determined, the photograph has never been published. Sixty-three years after Pyle was killed by the Japanese, it has surfaced — surprising historians, reminding a forgetful world of a humble correspondent who artfully and ardently told the story of a war from the foxholes.

It's a striking and painful image, but Ernie Pyle wanted people to see and understand the sacrifices that soldiers had to make, so it's fitting, in a way, that this photo of his own death ... drives home the reality and the finality of that sacrifice." So said James E. Tobin, a professor at Miami University of Ohio.

I would like to believe Ernie would have want this photo published. It serves to underscore the message he was telling the world. :salute:

I would like to believe Ernie would have want this photo published. It serves to underscore the message he was telling the world.
I disagree. Pyle never wanted the story to be about him.

I disagree. Pyle never wanted the story to be about him.

I see your point, but the story didn't Start with him, nor did it End with him. Infact, the story is still going on, only as told by lesser correspondance, (not to start another story, just my opinion).

Here is a link to the memorial site on Ie~jima, Okinawa: http://en.okinawa2go.jp/is/OCVB1EN0020440903/show

The Japanese allow very few foreign memorials and seem to do so only when they feel the person or event is of great note. Besides these battlefields around the islands of particular note is the American cemetary in Naha. Sorry, Ian for going a bit off topic.

I debated posting such a sad picture, but the eloquent words which accompanied it persuaded me.

post-8022-1342076927.jpg

"The figure in the photograph is clad in Army fatigues, boots and helmet, lying on his back in peaceful repose, folded hands holding a military cap. Except for a thin trickle of blood from the corner of his mouth, he could be asleep.

But he is not asleep; he is dead. And this is not just another fallen GI; it is Ernie Pyle, the most celebrated war correspondent of World War II.

As far as can be determined, the photograph has never been published. Sixty-three years after Pyle was killed by the Japanese, it has surfaced — surprising historians, reminding a forgetful world of a humble correspondent who artfully and ardently told the story of a war from the foxholes.

It's a striking and painful image, but Ernie Pyle wanted people to see and understand the sacrifices that soldiers had to make, so it's fitting, in a way, that this photo of his own death ... drives home the reality and the finality of that sacrifice." So said James E. Tobin, a professor at Miami University of Ohio.

Wanted to add this additional Photo.

Caption: The photo provided by Richard Strasser shows the scene on April 20, 1945, two days after his death on Ie Shima, where correspondent Ernie Pyle was buried alongside several soldiers killed in combat on the tiny island off Okinawa--the kind of men Pyle had written about during four years of WWII battlefield reporting.

post-34986-1342118845.jpg

Here is a link to the memorial site on Ie~jima, Okinawa: http://en.okinawa2go.jp/is/OCVB1EN0020440903/show

The Japanese allow very few foreign memorials and seem to do so only when they feel the person or event is of great note. Besides these battlefields around the islands of particular note is the American cemetary in Naha. Sorry, Ian for going a bit off topic.

Have you been to Okinawa before?

Your statements are not entirely correct... The Division cemeteries are no longer on Okinawa. The remains were either reinterred at the Punch Bowl or sent home to their families for local burial. Pyle is buried at the Punch Bowl. The only US Military remains present on Okinawa are three sailors from Commodore Perry's expedition buried in a small "foreigners" cemetery in the Tomari Port area. There are several US memorials/monuments (on land & sea) on Okinawa (there are more present on Okinawa than at many other islands where Pacific War battles occurred...). Because of the large US Military presence on Okinawa these memorials/monuments are carefully looked after and maintained. The Cornerstone of Peace Memorial in Itoman honors and lists the names of all the known Allied, Japanese, and Okinawans killed during the battle. Besides the memorials/monuments in the Peace Park (which include a memorial to Kamikaze pilots) surrounding the Cornerstone of Peace Memorial, I would say throughout the island there are not a terribly disproportionate number of Japanese to US memorials. Though (and understandably so), there are many memorials/monuments scattered throughout the island in memory of the Okinawan civilians that were killed during the battle.

Your statements are not entirely correct... The Division cemeteries are no longer on Okinawa. The remains were either reinterred at the Punch Bowl or sent home to their families for local burial. Pyle is buried at the Punch Bowl. The only US Military remains present on Okinawa are three sailors from Commodore Perry's expedition buried in a small "foreigners" cemetery in the Tomari Port area. There are several US memorials/monuments (on land & sea) on Okinawa (there are more present on Okinawa than at many other islands where Pacific War battles occurred...). Because of the large US Military presence on Okinawa these memorials/monuments are carefully looked after and maintained. The Cornerstone of Peace Memorial in Itoman honors and lists the names of all the known Allied, Japanese, and Okinawans killed during the battle. Besides the memorials/monuments in the Peace Park (which include a memorial to Kamikaze pilots) surrounding the Cornerstone of Peace Memorial, I would say throughout the island there are not a terribly disproportionate number of Japanese to US memorials. Though (and understandably so), there are many memorials/monuments scattered throughout the island in memory of the Okinawan civilians that were killed during the battle.

In addendum: it goes without saying, but there are still US servicemen who were killed during the Battle of Okinawa and their remains have yet to be located and recovered. The three sailors from the Perry expedition are the only US Military remains on Okinawa currently buried in a formal cemetery.

Yes.

Your statements are not entirely correct... The Division cemeteries are no longer on Okinawa. The remains were either reinterred at the Punch Bowl or sent home to their families for local burial. Pyle is buried at the Punch Bowl. The only US Military remains present on Okinawa are three sailors from Commodore Perry's expedition buried in a small "foreigners" cemetery in the Tomari Port area.

So my statement actually was correct as I made it {http://www.interment.net/data/japan/international_cemetery.htm}

There are several US memorials/monuments (on land & sea) on Okinawa (there are more present on Okinawa than at many other islands where Pacific War battles occurred...). Because of the large US Military presence on Okinawa these memorials/monuments are carefully looked after and maintained. The Cornerstone of Peace Memorial in Itoman honors and lists the names of all the known Allied, Japanese, and Okinawans killed during the battle. Besides the memorials/monuments in the Peace Park (which include a memorial to Kamikaze pilots) surrounding the Cornerstone of Peace Memorial, I would say throughout the island there are not a terribly disproportionate number of Japanese to US memorials. Though (and understandably so), there are many memorials/monuments scattered throughout the island in memory of the Okinawan civilians that were killed during the battle.

As well as my statement about the monuments.

In addendum: it goes without saying, but there are still US servicemen who were killed during the Battle of Okinawa and their remains have yet to be located and recovered. The three sailors from the Perry expedition are the only US Military remains on Okinawa currently buried in a formal cemetery.

I posted this link a moment ago {http://www.interment.net/data/japan/international_cemetery.htm} which seems to include a few more than those three among those interred.

I posted this link a moment ago {http://www.interment.net/data/japan/international_cemetery.htm} which seems to include a few more than those three among those interred.
Points taken about the cemetery... I have been to that cemetery and should have worded my original response differently, but as this thread is about Ernie Pyle/WWII all of my comments refer to the Battle of Okinawa and not about the post war situation... My point being (and I should have originally worded this differently) there are no longer cemeteries on Okinawa of US servicemen that were killed during the 1945 battle... the only US servicemen buried on the island that predate 1945 are the sailors from the Perry expedition.

On the other points, well I guess we can agree to disagree...

Apologies for taking this thread slightly off-course, now back to discussing "The Story of GI Joe"!

The following paragraph is very revealing. Contemporary war movies are well-known for their "method acting" approach with, for example, Steven Spielberg putting his actors for "SPR", "BoB" and "Pacific" through their own rigorous "boot camps" under the auspices of ex-army drill instructors ahead of filming. Seems this approach goes right back to 1944!

The Army agreed to Wellman's request for 150 soldiers, then training in California for further deployment to the Pacific and all veterans of the Italian campaign, to use as extras during the six weeks of filming in late 1944. Their training continued when they were not filming to present the best image possible for the Army, although the War Department allowed them to grow beards for their roles. Wellman insisted that actual soldiers speak much of the "G.I." dialogue for authenticity. He also insisted that the Hollywood actors ("as few as possible") cast in the film were required to live and train with the assigned soldiers or they would not be hired.

Points taken about the cemetery... I have been to that cemetery and should have worded my original response differently, but as this thread is about Ernie Pyle/WWII all of my comments refer to the Battle of Okinawa and not about the post war situation... My point being (and I should have originally worded this differently) there are no longer cemeteries on Okinawa of US servicemen that were killed during the 1945 battle... the only US servicemen buried on the island that predate 1945 are the sailors from the Perry expedition.

On the other points, well I guess we can agree to disagree...

Apologies for taking this thread slightly off-course, now back to discussing "The Story of GI Joe"!

PM sent

history-buff1944
I think YOU look alot like Ernie Ian.

I think the Gent who played Maj Konigs in: Enemy At the Gates--could pass for Ernie Pyle.

Sorry, I meant to quote the post above this one ;-)

The following paragraph is very revealing. Contemporary war movies are well-known for their "method acting" approach with, for example, Steven Spielberg putting his actors for "SPR", "BoB" and "Pacific" through their own rigorous "boot camps" under the auspices of ex-army drill instructors ahead of filming. Seems this approach goes right back to 1944!

The Army agreed to Wellman's request for 150 soldiers, then training in California for further deployment to the Pacific and all veterans of the Italian campaign, to use as extras during the six weeks of filming in late 1944. Their training continued when they were not filming to present the best image possible for the Army, although the War Department allowed them to grow beards for their roles. Wellman insisted that actual soldiers speak much of the "G.I." dialogue for authenticity. He also insisted that the Hollywood actors ("as few as possible") cast in the film were required to live and train with the assigned soldiers or they would not be hired.

It looks like he was one of your Welsh guys: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_A._Wellman. Donner Lake where they filmed "Island In The Sky" would be another one of those harsh locations where the actors and crew probably had to endure more than with other directors. Wellman made some really great movies including "The Story of GI Joe". Thanks for the reminisce.

It looks like he was one of your Welsh guys: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_A._Wellman. Donner Lake where they filmed "Island In The Sky" would be another one of those harsh locations where the actors and crew probably had to endure more than with other directors. Wellman made some really great movies including "The Story of GI Joe". Thanks for the reminisce.

William A. Welshman! :lol:

• 2 years later...
ustpatcher1a

"YES if your making a a story that's about real men USE THE REAL MEN'S NAME, but it WAS it is far as I,m concered to NOW tell not only the real story of of Ernie Pyle, and no not just his personel life but the lives of the REAL Front line GI's he met and came to know, this inculding Captain Henry, T Waskow, B Company, 1st Battalion, 143rd Infantry Regiment, 36th Infantry Division, Texas Army National Guard."

Other films of that era used the real WW2 vets that were involved in the battlefield drama. "Go for Broke' and "The MEN" used real veterans in the films and as such gave audiences more history and what they were about in that time of their lives. I say 'Thank You' for that added special features.

I think YOU look alot like Ernie Ian.

Many moons ago when The Pacific was being put together in Melbourne i had a chat with one of the directors (name escapes me) and there was talk of Tim Roth being attached to an upcoming ww2 film about an Ernie Pile "styled" journalist.