19th Century Wooden Belaying Pin!

I have been looking for a nice example for some time now, and I have finally been able to add one to the collection!

This is the large, 18" wooden style belaying pin, as used on the sailing ships of the old navy (and other larger vessels). For those that may not be familiar with these, the bottom portion of the pin was turned so as to fit in socket holes placed along the ships rail. The upper bottle portion of the pin protruded above the rail and was used to secure the halyards and other ships lines. Aside from their intended purpose, the heavy belaying pin was also used as a club, crushing many a skull by a member of a boarding party or ship's defender. (See: Gilkerson BOARDERS AWAY).

post-2801-1341861368.jpg

Jack's Son

I love these things!! They bring back the memories of the old movies, where the pirates grab them while they are fighting!!!

Besides that, they are beautiful reminders of tall ships!

Thanks for the comments! Here are a couple of pictures that I found online. One illustrates how the lines were attached to the pin, and another shows one on a period ship. :thumbsup:

post-2801-1342128295.jpg

post-2801-1342128347.jpg

• 11 years later...

Bringing this old thread back up. I love these old pins. Got this one about a year ago. Heavy brass, wish I knew some history on this heavy pin. image.jpg.4fd198d6f41e9c2311fe5350cf779ac9.jpg