M-167- A clipboard

Armourer

Hi,

I got a US army Signal corps OD clipboard, M-167-A. I tried to search it via internet, but couldn´t get any real information.

Is it a rare item or is it so common nobody cares about it? Was it used only by signal corps or other branches too?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I got a US army Signal corps OD clipboard, M-167-A. I tried to search it via internet, but couldn´t get any real information.

Is it a rare item or is it so common nobody cares about it? Was it used only by signal corps or other branches too?

Thanks in advance.

How about posting an image?

Useful though they are, clipboards tend not to set the world on fire, in my experience.

Useful though they are, clipboards tend not to set the world on fire, in my experience.

Wait just one minute Ian! I have had an extensive military clip board collection for over ten years now, and I must say I find your above statement most offensive to Clip board collectors! I haven't shown it here because of people, snobs really, that would do just as you have done. That is to say, "POO-POO" us as 2d class collectors!

When we, the USMCBCC, meet this Wednesday I'll be sure to show your post to EVERYONE! Don't be surprised if when word gets back to the UKMCBCC, someone will likely be around to shoot out your porch light!

And I used to think better of you!? :thumbdown:

So you're gradually ticking off every clipboard manufacturer's variant Mark? Don't keep your light under a bushel...please share them with those of us who need educating re this neglected area of militaria collecting. (That might then temp me to post my collection of USGI paper clips! ;) )

So you're gradually ticking off every clipboard manufacturer's variant Mark? Don't keep your light under a bushel...please share them with those of us who need educating re this neglected area of militaria collecting. (That might then temp me to post my collection of USGI paper clips! ;) )

Oh man!!!! You're collecting paper clips! Only in my dreams would I attempt THAT collecting field. But then we all know all the good ones were left in the UK and never brought back like so many clip boards. Lucky to live were you do! :thumbsup:

Oh...and to answer your question, YES, I'm ticking off every variant I can find, just like you are ticking off every Clip board collector that reads this!

Oh man!!!! You're collecting paper clips! Only in my dreams would I attempt THAT collecting field. But then we all know all the good ones were left in the UK and never brought back like so many clip boards. Lucky to live were you do! :thumbsup:

I've arranged them into a kind of "time-chain", if you will. The early ones are a much lighter shade of OD over stainless steel....mid chain they're OD brass and at the end OD zinc. I'm still on the look out for a box of original manganese ones (preferably un-opened) but there are so many fakes out there these days! Do let me know if you come across one please. Thanks! :thumbsup:

hawkdriver

You two jest and joke, but I do actually collect and pick these things for myself and a fellow collector. No field desk or map case is complete without these items. I would be proud to have his M-167 clip board

Jack's Son
You two jest and joke, but I do actually collect and pick these things for myself and a fellow collector. No field desk or map case is complete without these items. I would be proud to have his M-167 clip board

WAIT HAWK......Do you realize what you just said?? :fear: You would be PROUD to own his clip board" ?? :o ( :w00t: )

I've arranged them into a kind of "time-chain", if you will. The early ones are a much lighter shade of OD over stainless steel....mid chain they're OD brass and at the end OD zinc. I'm still on the look out for a box of original manganese ones (preferably un-opened) but there are so many fakes out there these days! Do let me know if you come across one please. Thanks! :thumbsup:

I have just a few from when I thought that was going to be my primary focus, but I have a fear of paper cuts and I personally feel the only REAL way to display them is in their natural environment, that being on a piece of G.I. paper.

I'll check them over and see what I have. They won't be cheap though as there weren't many of the Manganese ones made as Mangan was under Japanese occupation through out most of the war.

I also have some "backwards wound" zinc ones. And I had, sold it sometime ago, one that had an EXTRA wind around to it. Pretty rare stuff there, but of course you probably have Max "Clip" Steele's book on them? What a great book. I just cannot get over all the variations:

Left handed, right handed, Steel, zinc, Manganese, stainless, the ULTRA RARE Aluminium, OD ( so many shades) bare metal, front seam, rear seam, backwards spun, some EVEN have heat numbers! I have assembled a partial chart for years made. Just too much work though so I stopped collecting, but I still enjoy dreaming as I look through that book!

WOW! This has been fun Ian, bringing back all those memories I've forgotten about, so long ago. I'm going to have to pull out Max's book and maybe dig out whats left of the collection and start it back up?

Thanks again for your initial insult, it's made my week.

Off now to the antique store to see haw many dealers have Issue clips mixed in with that Civie crap they call Paper Clips!

Mark

Be careful Mark. It's well known that many dealers buy cheap Chinese-made ones in Wal-Mart, spray them OD and pass them off as genuine USGI. Can't trust anyone these days!! :o

Be careful Mark. It's well known that many dealers by cheap Chinese-made ones in Wal-Mart, spray them OD and pass them off as genuine USGI. Can't trust anyone these days!! :o

....I have the book! :thumbsup:

post-729-1341842289.png

This is my most prized possession...a prototype from 1897. Very rare. Last one I saw on eBay went for $5!! :w00t:

post-8022-1341842460.jpg

This is my most prized possession...a prototype from 1897. Very rare. Last one I saw on eBay went for $5!! :w00t:

post-8022-1341842460.jpg

NOT issue then....right!?

Hold it! If we're going to be discussing something in a serious light, let's call it by its proper name. It's not a "clip board". It's officially known as Holder, M-167-A. And there are variations to it as well.

book.JPG

h1.JPG

Robin! You've let the secret out! As a moderator I have....and will use my powers to delete your pics. That information is just too sensitive for our members to view!

And what's all this thumbing of noses about collecting stick pins? You elitists make me sick sometimes.

pins.JPG

Hold it! If we're going to be discussing something in a serious light, let's call it by its proper name. It's not a "clip board". It's officially known as Holder, M-167-A. And there are variations to it as well.

post-61-1341842850.jpg

post-61-1341842855.jpg

Just like the one I added to post #9.

Jack's Son
Be careful Mark. It's well known that many dealers buy cheap Chinese-made ones in Wal-Mart, spray them OD and pass them off as genuine USGI. Can't trust anyone these days!! :o

:crying: What's this world coming to??? :w00t: ( Or is that "TOO") OH well, just so much to worry about! :rolleyes: