My Vietnam Sniper Rifle and Equipment

11thcavsniper

11thcavsniper

I thought I would share a Photo of my Vietnam Sniper Rifle and Equipment. National Match M14, M84 Scope, Cheek Piece sent to me from my Dad, Starlight Scope rolled up in poncho, Jet Pilots Knife, Bandoleer, Canteen, Magazines, My Regular Boonie Hat and my Road March Red Clay Boonie Hat. I was issued this in Sept. 69 and issued an Art 1 Scope in Nov. 69. L.T.

post-32078-1341764235.jpg

11thcavsniper
Did the military do the work on the rifles or was it contracted out?

oldfireguy. I went to the 1st Air Cavalry Division Sniper School at Bien Hoa and I was issued the Match Grade Rifle then. Sorry, I can't tell you any History of where it was before that. L.T.

blitzkrieg gsd

You believe we gave away and or destroyed most of those wonderful rifles? Then just to figure out we would need them all these years later.

How far was she accurate with the scope set up you had on there? We just added a scope and the new style mount that the seals are using to our m14. Would like to know how far you felt good with it in the field. The guys in Afghanistan are taking a lot of long shots with them I know. But I haven't had a chance to talk with them about the distance yet.

Thanks L.T.

M-14 was a great platform during VN and is still a great platform to build off of. One of my favorites.

manayunkman

Awesome photo. The patch on your avatar is your Nam patch ?

Many thanks for your service.

11thcavsniper
Awesome photo. The patch on your avatar is your Nam patch ?

Many thanks for your service.

As a group {8 guys} in Sniper School we shot man size silhouettes at 300,600,and 900 meters. We averaged over 50% hits at 900 meters and 600 meters were a piece of cake. I worked in the Jungle and Rubber tree plantations so in actual use, my farthest shots were out to 500 meters and 250 meters with the starlight scope.

Yes, the avatar is my original patch that I had papa san sew up for me. I left 2 of them over there but lucky for me I had sent this one home.

Thanks guys for all of the kind comments. When I left VN I was told not to add the Sniper School Certificate on my dd214 for security reasons. I just got the Certificate added a month ago. Lucky again that I had sent the Certificate home to verify that I had earned it. L.T.

439th Signal Battalion

As a group {8 guys} in Sniper School we shot man size silhouettes at 300,600,and 900 meters. We averaged over 50% hits at 900 meters and 600 meters were a piece of cake. I worked in the Jungle and Rubber tree plantations so in actual use, my farthest shots were out to 500 meters and 250 meters with the starlight scope.
Yes, the avatar is my original patch that I had papa san sew up for me. I left 2 of them over there but lucky for me I had sent this one home.

Thanks guys for all of the kind comments. When I left VN I was told not to add the Sniper School Certificate on my dd214 for security reasons. I just got the Certificate added a month ago. Lucky again that I had sent the Certificate home to verify that I had earned it. L.T.

11th Cav,

Great picture and information. Thank you for sharing.

Attached are a couple images of a friend of mine in Echo Company Recon, 3-7th Infantry, 199th LIB. Like you, he was issued an M14 with WWII vintage M84 scope after completing a Sniper School.

post-9906-0-01929600-1421264253.jpg

post-9906-0-78510100-1421264273.jpg

Beginning in late 1968, the 199th LIB began implementing its own sniper program, much like the other units that were in-country at that time.

The first Redcatcher candidates went down to Dong Tam with the 9th ID for training and then returned to the 199th where they set up a mini-course for other Brigade personnel at Camp Frenzell-Jones.

By mid-1969, the Redcatcher sniper school was turning out qualified personnel that were usually assigned to the battalion from which they had originally been assigned.

However, most of the sniper graduates were sent back to various rifle companies where they were rarely utilized in a traditional sniper role. Most were just another grunt with a cool rifle, although some were given specified roles in observation at firebases, walking behind the point, etc.

In the Echo Recon platoons and LRRP/Ranger detachments, the snipers were sent out with a spotter, RTO, machine gunner, and grenadier where they achieved decent results either by pulling the trigger or by calling in air and artillery.

http://signal439.tripod.com/redcatcher199l...n-platoons.html

Welcome Home.

Wonderful photo! Perhaps you will share more with us?

Thank you for keeping us safe? :thumbsup:

+1 on all three counts.

Tim

blitzkrieg gsd

LT I figured you wouldn't of had many shots out farther then 500meters in Nam. Just wanted to know if you guy s trained with targets out at 800-1000 yards. Dad was in Nam in the mid sixtys and never gave up his M14 he said he was planning on keeping it even after being told to give it up lol. He loved that rifle and still does out of the large gun collection we have I think if he was made to chose one to keep it wouldn't be mu ch of a choice to him.

11thcavsniper

11th Cav,

Great picture and information. Thank you for sharing.

Attached are a couple images of a friend of mine in Echo Company Recon, 3-7th Infantry, 199th LIB. Like you, he was issued an M14 with WWII vintage M84 scope after completing a Sniper School.

post-9906-0-40726500-1421264660.jpg

post-9906-0-49243700-1421264672.jpg

Beginning in late 1968, the 199th LIB began implementing its own sniper program, much like the other units that were in-country at that time.

The first Redcatcher candidates went down to Dong Tam with the 9th ID for training and then returned to the 199th where they set up a mini-course for other Brigade personnel at Camp Frenzell-Jones.

By mid-1969, the Redcatcher sniper school was turning out qualified personnel that were usually assigned to the battalion from which they had originally been assigned.

However, most of the sniper graduates were sent back to various rifle companies where they were rarely utilized in a traditional sniper role. Most were just another grunt with a cool rifle, although some were given specified roles in observation at firebases, walking behind the point, etc.

In the Echo Recon platoons and LRRP/Ranger detachments, the snipers were sent out with a spotter, RTO, machine gunner, and grenadier where they achieved decent results either by pulling the trigger or by calling in air and artillery.

http://signal439.tripod.com/redcatcher199l...n-platoons.html

Welcome Home.

439th, Thanks for the update on the 199th LIB and the 9th ID Snipers. Excellent photos of the Echo Recon Platoons. I don't have many photos. One of our missions was the 11th Cavs tried and true Hammer and Anvil Tactics. We were the anvil. It was very unnerving when you had a Platoon of a
Armor coming towards you flushing out anything between them and us. We had to make sure we had good cover in case they spotted them and opened up first. L.T.