Padding for a storage box

Alonzo

I recently had the curator and archivist from our museum in for a tour of my "Mini Museum". They had some very complimentary comments though did point out a few things to improve. I had my 1870's mess kit stored in an Allen-Bradley circuit board box which was padded with foam. They suggested an acid free cardboard storage box with no foam, further discussion revealed that a seal-able food storage plastic container would also work. I found some which are the right size though now need some kind of padding inside the box. I am trying the "Micro-Fiber" towels used for cleaning windows, counter, and furniture. I gave the towel next to the mess kit a light spray with WD-40. The package says the towels are highly absorbant...so I am wondering if they are the best choice.

Any thoughts!!!

The package says the towels are highly absorbant...so I am wondering if they are the best choice.

They are made of some kind of polymer, not good.

What 3rdeye suggested is better.

You are looking for something that is neutral pH.

You are looking for something that is neutral pH.

It seems this was the problem with the foam in the other boxes. Even the foam was turning color.

I usually wipe down all the mess gear with WD-40 once a year, not a heavy coat, just a bit of a rub to leave a light film. I also do the same on the firearms, even if they are not handled.

Not a lot of rust issues here...in Southern Alberta it can be very dry!!!!!!!!

Many use ren-wax on metal finnishes and I have heard the use of the absorbent packets in closed areas and gun safes.

Just to add some information;

The tag on the cloths states the following;

63% Bi-constituent fiber(80% Polyester 20% Nylon)

37% Polyester

I am thinking that I am safe with these, though I may have concern about color transference.