346th BOMB GROUP VET

BEAST

Tonight, I may be interviewing a B-29 pilot who flew with the 462nd Squadron, 346th Bomb Group. I have my basic questions (primarily focusing on his personal history) to ask, but are there any B-29 questions, that I should cover? Difference in flying a 29 versus a 24? That sort of thing.

The interview may or may not happened, mostly because he thinks he never really did anything during the war. He arrived in the Pacific on 6 AUgust 1945 and his group is not credited with flying any combat missions as a group. Some individual crews that arrived earlier did, but I don't believe his crew was one of those. He also did occupation duty afterwards.

Hopefully I will get his permission to video tape his recollections. The family is not too sure he will allow this.

Well, the interview went well. I got over an hour of video tape with him. He was very young (18) when he was drafted in 1943. He originally trained on B-24s but transitioned to B-29s before he left the states. I did ask him about his flying gear and the only thing that he remembered was sometimes carrying a .45 pistol and wearing khakis.

Very humble man whose military service almost killed him. He contracted TB while overseas, but was not treated for several months after he returned home. Fortunetly a civilian MD treated him after he was discharged with (then)recently discovered drugs.

I'm glad you took the time to talk to him. In this world of fast paced living not everyone would do that. I am planning on interviewing a veteran myself from the 100th ID. He gave me his uniforms just yesterday and he has a great memmory yet. I always start out an interview with some information on where they are from and where they where when they heard about Pearl Harbor. I have 5 interviews that I have done. I even made a copy of one for a 5th Marine Division, 28th Marine who went in on Iwo Jima. He wanted it left for the family after his death so they can learn what he went through. This family has no clue.

Hi Bones,

The interview went well. Have you ever had a vet request that his family NOT be given a copy of the interview? I interviewed a 106th Division/1st Cav vet and he requested that I not share the interview with his family.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am almost finished editing the interview and putting it on a DVD for the family. There was nothing earth shaking about the interview, but I had a good time speaking with him. Hopefully the family will like the DVD.

One important point to remember when you tape an interview, before starting, listen for any constant source of background noise. There was a ceiling fan on and I thought it was too high above the micraphone to be heard, but it just drones on throughout the tape! Unfortunetly, my software can not isolate and remove it, so I am up for suggestions or software recommendations.

Attaching a microphone to the subject would have helped also, as at times he was very soft spoken.

Also, watch your lighting. I was using the natural lighting from outside as at the beginning of the interview the room was lighted. After only a couple of hours, the room darkened and the video of the vet looks like he is now part of a witness protection program as you can no longer see his face! Once again, a good sofware editor might help, so I willing to listen to recommendations.