Reenactment event: Mussolini Canal, January-February 1944

PFC Rossi

After the landings at Anzio, Italy, on January 22nd, 1944, Allied troops remained stuck from many weeks just after the beaches, along the artificial canal Mussolini and facing tough resistance.

On the left of the beachead were Commonwealth troops and on the right American troops, most notably the 504th PIR (Except H Co that was put on the left) and the FSSF; they were facing elements of the Aufklärungs-Abteilung 356 (renamed Division-Füsilier-Bataillon 356).

The following are some original period pictures and after them reenactment pictures thanks to the effort of the GGARG (Greatest Generation Airborne Reenactors Group) and Progetto900.

68188422.jpg

Uploaded with No_outside_hosting.us

504piratanzio.jpg

ukyirny.jpg

immaginesnl.jpg

77099413.jpg

022ug.jpg

022ug.jpg

26088037.jpg

cm04.jpg

cm05q.jpg

it was real fun taking part to this project! the location was great because we were in the not-always-so-sunny tuscany in an area plenty of abandoned old farmhouses.. hope pfc will soon posts other pics ('cause actully i'm not that good at uploading pics :-) )

Thanks everyone mates! And thanks to you to, BARman :lol:

I'll post some other pictures then, hope you'll enjoy them...this is real once-italian theater of war

54023835111213458729511.jpg

akkra2.jpg

akkra1.jpg

akra3.jpg

prig1.jpg

prig2.jpg

prig3.jpg

prig04.jpg

prig03.jpg

prig4.jpg

And a night raid... (These were shot using an original-period camera)

night2t.jpg

night1.jpg

nightv.jpg

dscn43982.jpg

dscn44023.jpg

Great pictures. I reenact the FSSF so i love MTO pictures, also love seeing the un-reenforced 42s. Dont see them often ;)

Thanks Forceman! We like to reenact these less known but still important and bloody battles; we've also done some Sicily and Salerno stuff.

rest52.jpg

rest5.jpg

rest2w.jpg

rest6.jpg

rest23.jpg

rest4d.jpg

rest3.jpg

Even General Mark Clark came visiting troops and chatting with soldiers!

generalmarkclarkvisitin.jpg

• 8 months later...
Garandomatic

More than a couple times I had to really look hard to tell which was an original shot and which was one of your group. Nice work.

More than a couple times I had to really look hard to tell which was an original shot and which was one of your group. Nice work.

This is the best compliment we could receive! Thank you!

I don't impress easily, but your group impressed me greatly. I agree that only the photography betrays which photos weren't actually taken in the '40s.

I've always been curious, when you do events like this on the sites of the real battles, has anyone ever come up who was there during WW2 and had a bad reaction, not knowing they were going to see this again? I know if you live around Normandy you should expect to see re-enactors from time to time, but I could imagine an older person going by and doing a double-take at the sight (especially considering how well your group pulled it off)...

I don't impress easily, but your group impressed me greatly. I agree that only the photography betrays which photos weren't actually taken in the '40s.

I've always been curious, when you do events like this on the sites of the real battles, has anyone ever come up who was there during WW2 and had a bad reaction, not knowing they were going to see this again? I know if you live around Normandy you should expect to see re-enactors from time to time, but I could imagine an older person going by and doing a double-take at the sight (especially considering how well your group pulled it off)...

Thank you very much; to answer you: no, that has never happened, not that I recall; but it happened more than once to meet some veterans or civilians during wartime that were positively interested in what we were doing.

And next week we'll go to free the city of Verona once again, just like it happened in April 1945...we'll post the pictures!