9th Inf. Rgt. "Manchus"

2ndInf.Div.

Manchu Warrior

This particular buckle looks to be from the Vietnam era. You will notice how dark it is and had the look of copper. The Manchu Mile buckle has a blackish background and a highlt polished edge and high points. This buckle is just like the one I received in Vietnam in 1969 while with the 4/9th Reg, 25th ID. I've added a picture of the new buckle so you can compare with the one above.

KUTF

The one you have looks just like the one that was given to me in Korea back in the mid 1990's. The one that Indexred has listed looks like the one my uncle received while in Korea back in 1968.

I am away from my references now, so cannot document, but my understanding is that the original manchu buckle was approved in the 1920s as a unit insignia. Thus, it was really an early form of DI. I had not heard of it being an award (though that does not surprise me), but it used to be (pre WW2 into Korea) a required part of the uniform for Manchus, just as a DI is today.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Here's both the Manchu unit crest and buckle being worn by yours truly, August 1982,Fort Wainwright. At that time the new BDUs were issued out in the 4th of the 9th Inf since May, but as per regulations of the day, OG 107 could still be worn, and in formation, so the summer of 82 seen both the old OG 107s and the new BDUs worn at the same time, I was just feeling in an OG 107 kinda mind that morning and donned them, who knows how long I could still wear them :lol: Also this is the first image I have posted of myself, more to follow in other forums, you all get to see my smiling face :rolleyes:

post-34986-0-48242800-1371405928.jpg

You call THAT a SMILE?

And where is the mustache?

I coudn't grow one well into my 30s :lol: Though they did make me shave, in fact it was in the very first days of Basic, when my DS got in my face, and said you shave that peach fuzz, you look like a Georgia peach, and I can see it in this Georgia morning sun :o

I understand they had a buckle for the Sam brown belts in the 30's-40's, but were there regular trouser buckles made in the 40's or did that pick up in the 50's? The Manchus site only had them from the 50's and up.

• 2 years later...
  • 6 years later...

Scanned a image of the 50s-60s buckle, a real nice minty example, it's from this small memoir I bought a ways back of a 4/9th Platoon Leader in Nam, 67-68  a 2nd then 1st Lt Ronald Beedy.

1st lt ronald b.beedy0002.jpg

• 1 month later...

Came across this early 1930s photo of the 9th Infantry's Color Guard at Fort Sam Houston Texas., check out the Manchu Garrison Belt Buckles. Interesting to note that they all are wearing White Gloves

9th ing.jpg

9th n.jpg

9yj.PNG

• 9 months later...

Here's the Webb Belt and Buckle being worn by a Platoon Mate of mine, don't know how Verboten this would of been, wearing Off Duty, who knows, maybe it was the only belt he had and never went to the Wainwright PX to get one to hold up his Civvy pants LOL

post.jpg