Purple Heart # On Box Matches # On Medal

manayunkman

manayunkman

Here is a Purple Heart that came in a small CB grouping.

Anybody ever see one like this and would the number somehow be traceable to the recipient ?

post-51189-1341559022.jpg

His obituary,

Mr. Sharkey was born in County Roscomon, Ireland. He was the son of the late Dominic and the late Delia Sharkey of County Roscomon and Montclair.

He was a veteran of the U.S. Navy where he served in World War II in the Pacific Theater. He fought in five major invasions, including the Battle for Okinawa, earning many medals for his service.

He worked in the savings and loan business his entire career, the majority of the time as president of Monroe Savings and Loan, Newark. He served as chairman of the board for the New Jersey Savings and Loan League and also as president of the Federal Home Loan Bank Board of N.Y. He retired in 1982 as executive vice president of Nutley Savings and Loan after the merger with Monroe Savings and Loan.

Mr. Sharkey was a member of St. Cassian's Church, Montclair, where he was an alter boy, a parishioner for over 50 years and a member of the Holy Name Society. For the past 25 years he was a member of St. Matthew's Roman Catholic Church in East Stroudsburgh, Pa. His passions were golf, skiing and gardening. He was a member of Forest Hill Field Club, Bloomfield, for 35 years where he played golf with all his lifelong friends.

He was predeceased by his first wife Anne Marie Sharkey. He is survived by his wife, Violet Hope Jones Sharkey; his children, Cliff Jr. and his wife, Janet, Marianne and her husband John, Terry and his wife Linda, and Jim and his wife Lisa; four sisters, Madeline, Vera, Millie and Joan; 13 grandchildren and many nieces and nephews.

http://zellnerfamily.com/genealogy/getpers...590&tree=01

manayunkman

Austin,

I don't think it is the same guy. This guy is from Lebanon, Pa.

Know anything about him Charles Joseph Sharkey father is Arthur

Any help is appreciated.

M

Maybe I missed one, but this is the only Charles, Son of Arthur Sharkey I could find on Ancestry...living in Mississippi in the 1930 census...

sharkey2.jpg

I think this is your guy. It says he was a CM or capenter's mate. So he could of been a sea bee with that specialty. That rateing badge was used until 1948. So he must of went into the army in the Korea war? This should be a good research project for you!

post-2501-1341585896.jpg

Jason

Name: Charles Sharkey

Birth Date: 27 Dec 1920

Death Date: 28 Feb 1986

SSN:

Branch 1: NAVY

Enlistment Date 1: 10 Oct 1942

Release Date 1: 4 Jan 1946

Enlistment Date 2: 4 Dec 1950

Release Date 2: 7 Nov 1952

manayunkman
Maybe I missed one, but this is the only Charles, Son of Arthur Sharkey I could find on Ancestry...living in Mississippi in the 1930 census...

Yes that is the guy. His mothers name is Louise so that confirms it.

Thanks Dave.

M

manayunkman

SSN:

Navyman,

You hit the nail on the head. This is going to be someone else's project. I have to let this group go.

Sharkey's son in law told me he got wounded during an air raid.

Looks like a 20 mm gun with a KILL.

manayunkman

SSN:

Navyman,

You hit the nail on the head. This is going to be someone else's project. I have to let this group go.

Sharkey's son in law told me he got wounded during an air raid.

Looks like a 20 mm gun with a KILL.

post-51189-1341596560.jpg

manayunkman

Anyone have information about the medal coming in this box and having a matching numbered Heart ?

Is the number traceable to the recipient ?

Anyone have information about the medal coming in this box and having a matching numbered Heart ?

It looks like a early PH. I think that style is usually issued to army, but not 100% sure.

Jason

Yes, the number is traceable to the recipient...via the name tag on the blue box. ;) ;) (Sorry man, I couldn't resist!)

The actual answer is that some early ones are...like ones from early on in North Africa, if the numbers were written on the GO authorizing the award. I don't know about early Navy ones, but it might have been done on a unit-by-unit basis. Otherwise, there was no requirement for the names and award numbers to be kept together and most weren't (not like Soviet awards where all numbered awards are traceable to a certain recipient via archival records).

It looks like a cool group. Is that an Army DUC in the box with the PH?

Dave

manayunkman

Here is the group. There are more photos in one of the books. The destruction is from Los Negros Airfield

post-51189-1341602584.jpg

KASTAUFFER

It's an Army Purple Heart, with a very slight chance of it being traceable.

Kurt

KASTAUFFER

Is it an Army General Order? It would explain the Army medal. No number in the GO so it's not traceable.

Kurt

Kurt,

Perhaps the number was recorded in the man's 201file? That's the best "long-shot" I can think of.

Doubtful, though there are examples posted on here of the numbers being on the GOs and being handwritten on other pieces of paper too.

However, since this one has a very legit-looking name tape on it...I'd say it's his. I would be 100% confident of it if it was in my collection.

Dave

Jack's Son

Agreed Dave. The grouping is very convincing, and the name does seal the deal. While doing research, it is possible to add a bit of gravy to the find with a number appearing on some document.

KASTAUFFER

In the SWP quite a few Purple Hearts were awarded by Army hospitals to Navy and USMC personnel. That is what I figured it was when I saw the medal before he posted the document. Knowing If it's an Army GO will confirm my suspicion.

Kurt