Army Air Corp grouping ...for opinions

wagner

Hi Guys,

I recently picked this grouping up and wanted to get more info about where this Sgt. served.

Opinions on the ball-park value of the grouping will also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-wagner-

Vet-ArmyAirCorp-Placerville009.jpg

Vet-ArmyAirCorp-Placerville006.jpg

That's a very comprehensive grouping. Interesting to see the modification made to the service coat by the addition of those elastic (?) strips across the bi-swing back, presumably to keep it in shape? The 3rd/4th Air Forces were Stateside based during WW2 so there'll be no overseas deployments to research. The two HBT mechanics' caps are very desirable collectibles! Nice lot...well done!

manayunkman

Like Ian said your guy served in the USA. Very nice group. And yes the two baseball caps are very nice and so is the Jeep jacket. The early felt AAC patch is also nice. If you take out the Jeep Jacket and 2 baseball hats ( off hand I don't know their value ) what you have left over is worth 200.00. In my opinion.

Yes....I concur with what Manny said. The '41 jacket looks to be in very good shape...so often they're frayed at the collar and cuffs...and the caps are highly sought after, so there's a potentially nice little "earner" within the overall group, should you decide to split/ sell.

That's a very comprehensive grouping. Interesting to see the modification made to the service coat by the addition of those elastic (?) strips across the bi-swing back, presumably to keep it in shape? The 3rd/4th Air Forces were Stateside based during WW2 so there'll be no overseas deployments to research. The two HBT mechanics' caps are very desirable collectibles! Nice lot...well done!

Thanks for the info Sabrejet. :thumbsup:

One of the caps is stamped with Army Air Force inside and out. The other has no stamping. Wonder why?

Best of Quest,

-wagner-

Like Ian said your guy served in the USA. Very nice group. And yes the two baseball caps are very nice and so is the Jeep jacket. The early felt AAC patch is also nice. If you take out the Jeep Jacket and 2 baseball hats ( off hand I don't know their value ) what you have left over is worth 200.00. In my opinion.

Thank You Manny. :)

I would hate to split up an original grouping I got from the niece of the Vet.

Yes, The jeep jacket, along with everything else, is in very nice condition, even the gloves.

I just hate to split it up. Rather get less and let the next guy do it if necessary.

Anyone care to guess what an estimation of value on the whole grouping?

-wagner-

manayunkman
Thank You Manny. :)

I would hate to split up an original grouping I got from the niece of the Vet.

Yes, The jeep jacket, along with everything else, is in very nice condition, even the gloves.

I just hate to split it up. Rather get less and let the next guy do it if necessary.

Anyone care to guess what an estimation of value on the whole grouping?

-wagner-

I'm not suggesting you split it up. I'm just saying I don't know what the hats and jeep jacket are worth but I do know what the rest is worth.

As far as splitting it up I personally would not have a problem selling off one baseball hat. It does not harm the integrity of the group.

I wasn't actually advocating splitting the group, but it's an option that some collectors exercise. Re the marked/unmarked caps...I take it they are otherwise identical types? If sold in their own right, the USAAF marked one would be the most desirable...no question! (Though of course both are very collectible!) Even quality replicas can cost in excess of $50!

His pinwheel AAC HQ patch suggests an enlistment prior to or during 1939.

Here is a summary of the 3rd Air Force:

http://www.armyaircorpsmuseum.org/wwii_3rd_Air_Force.cfm

A bit more about the 4th Air Force.

Source link:

http://www.armyaircorpsmuseum.org/wwii_4th_Air_Force.cfm

"The 4th Air Force was constituted as Southwest Air District on October 19, 1940 and activated on December 18, 1940. It was redesignated 4th AF in early 1941.

The 4th AF provided air defense for the western U.S. until 1943, and training new units.

Constituted as Southwest Air District on 19 Oct 1 940. Activated on 18 Dec 1940. Redesignated Fourth AF early in 1941. Provided air defense for the western US until 1943, and at the same time trained new organizations. Later, was engaged primarily in training replacements for combat units. Assigned to Air Defense Command in Mar 1946 and to Continental Air Command in Dec 1948, being concerned chiefly with air defense until 1949 and with reserve and national guard activities thereafter.

Commands. IV Bomber: 1941-1944. IV Fighter: 1941-1944. IV Ground Air Support: 1941-1942.

Stations. March Field, Calif, 18 Dec 1940; Riverside, Calif, 16 Jan 1941; Hamilton Field, Calif, 7 Dec 1941; San Francisco, Calif, 5 Jan 1942; Hamilton Field, Calf, 19 Jun 1946-.

Commanders. Maj Gen Jacob E Fickel, 18 Dec 1940; Maj Gen George C Kenney, 2 Apr 1942; Maj Gen Barney McK Giles, 22 Jul 1942; Maj Gen William E Kepner, 18 Mar 1943; Maj Gen William E Lynd, 8 Jul 1943; Maj Gen James E Parker, 14 Jul 1944; Brig Gen Edward M Morris, 19 May 1945; Maj Gen Willis H Hale, 6 Jul 1945; Brig Gen Ned Schramm, 1 Nov 1947; Maj Gen John E Upston, 20 Jan 1948; Maj Gen Alvan C Kincaid, c. Sep 1950; Maj Gen William E Hall, 29 Jan 1951; Maj Gen Alfred A Kessler Jr, 8 Sep 1952; Maj Gen Robert B Landry, 4 Feb 1955-.

Campaigns. American Theater.

Decorations. None.

Insigne. Shield: Azure, a white star, charged with a red disc, all within a white winged annulet upheld by four golden yellow rays, radiating from base point, all within a border of the last. (Approved 1 Sep 1943. This insigne was superseded by another on 21 Mar 1957.)

Data from Air Force Combat Units of World War II By Maurer, Maurer, Published 1986"

412th Fighter Group

IV Bomber Command

IV Fighter Command

Los Angeles Fighter Wing

San Diego Fighter Wing

San Francisco Fighter Wing

Seattle Fighter Wing