VFW Cap With Unknown Pins

VMI88

I picked up this VFW cap recently because of the unusual pins. I tried Googling "10 For Tim" but didn't come up with anything. Can anyone identify this pin or the one with the boxing glove? The third is obviously to commemorate reaching a recruiting goal.

Bill

post-265-1201216003.jpg

I did some snooping around and found a Timothy J. Murphy who was elected VFW Commander in 1955 -- maybe that "10 For Tim" relates to him? It fits your cap's time frame and has a shamrock to go with the name Murphy, etc. Don't know what the "10 signifies though..maybe a catchy election jingle.

Will

Laury Allison
I did some snooping around and found a Timothy J. Murphy who was elected VFW Commander in 1955 -- maybe that "10 For Tim" relates to him? It fits your cap's time frame and has a shamrock to go with the name Murphy, etc. Don't know what the "10 signifies though..maybe a catchy election jingle.

Will

Could have been a campaign to recruit new members??? think.gif You know...every member recruit 10 new members to raise numbers. Just a thought, but that could fit. "10 for Tim" makes for a catchy phrase that people would remember.

Laury

Bill,

I tried google books and found the following in the Proceedings of the 1957 National Encampment of the VFW:

"It is estimated that "10 for Tim" club members were responsible for signing up nearly one-quarter of the membership as they vied for the specially designed pins, for "opportunities" to own the Cadillac on the basis of one "opportunity" for each multiple of ten members signed up"

This was all of the snippet from the book that google will show - it sounds like an interesting campaign the VFW came up with to encourage members to recruit new members by giving them the chance to win a Cadillac.