Summer ebay buys

Garth Thompson

Garth Thompson

Ebay has been good to me so far this summer. I got these two very nicely patched Ikes for not a whole lot of money. I suspect it had to do with their crappy pictures and closing the auctions in the middle of the week.

#1 A MP Ike with bullion Allied Airborne, Berlin District and silver/gold MUC patches. The patches are all occupation german examples. High bid $163.00 plus postage.

post-83-1341511901.jpg

Garth Thompson

#2 modified 4 pocket to ike style with Med Air Force, AAC and Air Gunner wing all in Italian theater made bullion. High bid $250

post-83-1341512074.jpg

infinitig35
Ebay has been good to me so far this summer. I got these two very nicely patched Ikes for not a whole lot of money. I suspect it had to do with their crappy pictures and closing the auctions in the middle of the week.

#1 A MP Ike with bullion Allied Airborne, Berlin District and silver/gold MUC patches. The patches are all occupation german examples. High bid $163.00 plus postage.

Love it Garth, you have struck gold in thar eBay hills!

I was anxious to acquire the patch (see photo) to replace one I purchased for about $4 in an Army Surplus Store in Cincinnati say in the summer of 1978.

While my original find, was 100% original, it was stapled to a cardboard hanger in the store, came off of a uniform.

I think the patch I got from Akron, NY, is similar too, but not exactly the same. It has been too many years now since I sold it with my collection.

I scanned it a 600 lines/inch and using iPhoto I can magnify it and see a lot of detail you won't in this reduced size version which is a watered down screen-shot to fit the 150KB parameters of the forum.

I may have this wrong, but I think this was one of the American Forces Network stations in Japan, and I am thinking mine was circa the Korean War, this one may be of later vintage. AFN and AFR&TVS existed during World War II, it wasn't as formal as it is today. A local DJ who broadcasts regularly here in Richmond, Virginia was a member of the Korean based unit, this was during the Vietnam War. I sent him one of my duplicate AFKN patches and he wrote me a very nice letter and sent an autographed photograph. He said the one I sent him was like the one he wore in Korea.

Anyway I believe the Far East Network SSI patch shown here was for Japan, or maybe Okinawa as well. The map looks like the Japanese Islands. The old style microphone is a classic on many of these patches I have owned, and have seen over the years.

I think the one I now have ($50, wasn't cheap) looks like the Asian style of embroidery using very heavy threads, maybe rayon. The style is machine made but the lettering, detail and satins in the border look like a single-needle manual zig-zag machine, similar to the old Singer Monogram Machines, like the 107W102 models with foot controller and knee-knockers for varying the stitch width. The lettering is the give away, the letters are formed not with the typical programmed stitches that curve with the letter shape, but these are virtually parallel to one another.

If anyone has any dating information, or where it was worn, or who made it, I would be most grateful.

While I have this new (to me) patch which looks old to me, I still miss my Cincinnati patch for $4.

Tom

post-9136-1341804975.jpg

infinitig35
Love it Garth, you have struck gold in thar eBay hills!

I was anxious to acquire the patch (see photo) to replace one I purchased for about $4 in an Army Surplus Store in Cincinnati say in the summer of 1978.

While my original find, was 100% original, it was stapled to a cardboard hanger in the store, came off of a uniform.

I think the patch I got from Akron, NY, is similar too, but not exactly the same. It has been too many years now since I sold it with my collection.

I scanned it a 600 lines/inch and using iPhoto I can magnify it and see a lot of detail you won't in this reduced size version which is a watered down screen-shot to fit the 150KB parameters of the forum.

I may have this wrong, but I think this was one of the American Forces Network stations in Japan, and I am thinking mine was circa the Korean War, this one may be of later vintage. AFN and AFR&TVS existed during World War II, it wasn't as formal as it is today. A local DJ who broadcasts regularly here in Richmond, Virginia was a member of the Korean based unit, this was during the Vietnam War. I sent him one of my duplicate AFKN patches and he wrote me a very nice letter and sent an autographed photograph. He said the one I sent him was like the one he wore in Korea.

Anyway I believe the Far East Network SSI patch shown here was for Japan, or maybe Okinawa as well. The map looks like the Japanese Islands. The old style microphone is a classic on many of these patches I have owned, and have seen over the years.

I think the one I now have ($50, wasn't cheap) looks like the Asian style of embroidery using very heavy threads, maybe rayon. The style is machine made but the lettering, detail and satins in the border look like a single-needle manual zig-zag machine, similar to the old Singer Monogram Machines, like the 107W102 models with foot controller and knee-knockers for varying the stitch width. The lettering is the give away, the letters are formed not with the typical programmed stitches that curve with the letter shape, but these are virtually parallel to one another.

If anyone has any dating information, or where it was worn, or who made it, I would be most grateful.

While I have this new (to me) patch which looks old to me, I still miss my Cincinnati patch for $4.

Tom

post-9136-1341804975.jpg

For a lettering comparison I just run this through a drawing program to show how a lettering program might stitch out the same wording "FAR EAST NETWORK", again, this is just a screen-shot that fits the forum size limitations.

But if you follow each character and comare it to the lettering on the patch photo show you can see the difference.

Pictures say it best.

Tom

post-9136-1341806705.jpg