Grey Navy/Chaplain/REP 5 M1 helmet

jasonm

Bought this Navy M1 a few weeks ago due to what I thought I could see under the paint. The helmet has had many lives over the years and I am in the process of stripping the layers to show the history of the helmet. Any comments on the history and rarity of this helmet is appreciated. Thanks.

The helmet when it I got it home.

post-12853-1341431314.jpg

final pic........Still have to clean up some of the panel & uncover the cross on the back.

The front panel was painted on the OD shell. Then a light grey was painted over that layer and I believe thats when the Cahpains cross was applied. Finally, the current grey was painted over the entire shell.

I have tried to preserve the patina of the final layer while showing the "REP 5" -repair locker panel and the cross to show the many lives this M1 has had.

Opinions on this helmet are appreciated. Thanks. jason

post-12853-1341432262.jpg

ITALIANWARFRONT

Glad for your discovery but I would have NEVER done that, in my opinion you ruin the historic value of the helmet.

Just my opinion

Giorgio

Glad for your discovery but I would have NEVER done that, in my opinion you ruin the historic value of the helmet.

Just my opinion

Giorgio

I was on the fence about stripping it, due the varying opinions about stripping helmets. However, while uncovering the different layers of the helmet and showing the different markings I feel that I have uncovered the history of the helmet that may not have ever been known or seen. I have never altered a helmet and have always believed in keeping the helmet or any artifact in "as found" condition but I felt this helmet had a story to tell.

Thanks for the reply Giorgio.

History Man

Nice find! I think it is a stunner helmet now and it really does tell a story, I like it :thumbsup:

Philip

Thanks for all the replys. Hope to have this on cleaned up & finished soon. I'll post pics when it's completed. Take care. jason

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE: The helmet is finished. The border around the front cross has been cleaned up. Decided to leave some of the "mouse" grey to preserve the evidence of that layer pf paint. Finally, the rear cross was uncovered. This cross is very fragile. Too much stripper would take off the gold paint and too much scraping would remove all to the original OD. This layer was very thin so I decided to stop while I was ahead and not loose the gold of the cross.

Any info on what eras these layers would be from would be great. Thanks. jason

post-12853-1343491527.jpg

USMC-RECON0321

Jason,

Amazing work and in my opinion I think this makes the helmet a much more desirable piece!! There plenty of gray helmets out there, but to preserve original markings like those and bring them back to life... Top shelf!!

Job well done sir!!

Troy