Case fighting knife

1canpara

Hi guys, first of all I'll say I'm really a helmet guy who only dabbles in knives when I see a neat one that will display well with a helmet in a display, so forgive my inexperience and lack of knife knowledge.

This is a pretty cool knife I just picked up because of the hand-carved inscription on the sheath. I don't know a lot about Case fighting knives so any info or opinions are very welcomed.

It's a bit rough, but the blade is marked Case near the hilt and the sheath is inscribed Adak and Kiska. Is there a possibility this was a FSSF knife or maybe another division that served in the Aleutians? Had the FSSF been issued the V42 yet or were Case knives issued to the FSSF around the time they were on Kiska?

Rick

post-9167-1341293221.jpg

post-9167-1341293245.jpg

post-9167-1341293263.jpg

post-9167-1341293289.jpg

post-9167-1341293313.jpg

post-9167-1341293330.jpg

The Force had the V42s by then but not uncommon to see a couple of knives carried or used.The V42 wasnt much of a utility knife.I have a small group from a 1st Ranger Bn man and he had both a 2nd pattern Fairborne and a Catterargus 225Q.

Nice knife no matter who carried it :thumbsup:

Great knife... I have been looking for a Case fighting knife in that style, and the markings on the sheath make it all the more interesting. In fact, you outbid me on this very knife. If you ever decide to get rid of it, please let me know. But I digress...

The V-42 was first issued in 1942, and the FSSF landed on Kiska in August 1943. I have attached a photo to this post which shows - what I believe to be - a V-42 on the boot of a FSSF soldier in the Aleutians. I do believe that the V-42s were being used by the FSSF by this time. While it is not impossible, I doubt that this Case is an FSSF knife.

I was after this knife not only because of my interest in edged weapons, but also because it had "Adak" as well as "Kiska" on the sheath. I do not believe that the FSSF was at Adak. Adak was an Army Airfield that was used by the USAAF and Navy.

-John

post-9280-1341332639.jpg

THis is a friend and a hell of a guy.Mike was a FSSF member.Was in the Aluetians and was on the assault of LaDefensa.His V42 was used in hand to hand combat numerous times and as he stated got him "through some tight spots on La Defensa"

THe other knife is one he picked up some place in Italy as he "needed a good side knife".He passed several years ago and was alsways a special day and an honor to visit him and talk to him about his days with the Force.

post-342-1341367193.jpg

Great knife... I have been looking for a Case fighting knife in that style, and the markings on the sheath make it all the more interesting. In fact, you outbid me on this very knife. If you ever decide to get rid of it, please let me know. But I digress...

The V-42 was first issued in 1942, and the FSSF landed on Kiska in August 1943. I have attached a photo to this post which shows - what I believe to be - a V-42 on the boot of a FSSF soldier in the Aleutians. I do believe that the V-42s were being used by the FSSF by this time. While it is not impossible, I doubt that this Case is an FSSF knife.

I was after this knife not only because of my interest in edged weapons, but also because it had "Adak" as well as "Kiska" on the sheath. I do not believe that the FSSF was at Adak. Adak was an Army Airfield that was used by the USAAF and Navy.

-John

Hi John, sorry to have scooped you on this knife, the really funny part of this is that it was a couple of my buddies who had it in their militaria shop in my very own town! I knew that when I bid on it, and I probably could have gone into their shop and made them a BIN offer, but in the spirit of eBay buying and selling I opted to just let the auction play out, especially seeing that there were no bids at all until the last few seconds. Anyway, I was glad to have won it as I have been putting together an FSSF display, and of course it's extremely hard to find original stuff, so I thought this would be a great addition for the display, even if it may not be an actual FSSF knife.

If I decide to part with it at some point, I'll let you know for sure :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the info guys, and Ron, that would have been a real honor to have known an actual FSSF veteran!

Regards,

Rick

Really interesting info. My guess is as good as anyone else's. I am happy the knife has a good home. Don't forget me if you ever want to part with it... Hey, you could sell it to me and start your V-42 fund :D I know where there is one in excellent shape for sale for the low, low price of $12,000.

I am really fascinated by the existence of the USMC contingent in the Aleutians. That theater of the war is absolutely enthralling and seems to be, unfortunately, overlooked.

Adak saw many infantrymen treading its muskeg as well as Air force and Naval personnel. Among others, the 17th Infantry Regt. stayed there in squad tents after the Attu battle while training for the assault on Kiska. The California National Guard unit, the 184th Infantry, which later was incorporated into the 7th Division, was there for the training. Operation COTTAGE, the code-name for the Kiska operation, would have been the first combat operation for the 184th. As we now know, there was ultimately no combat on Kiska, unless one includes the dreadful friendly-fire incidents and the victims of Japanese booby-traps. Of course, many Japanese were killed or wounded on Kiska by naval and aerial bombardment before the furtive evacuation.

The Canadian contingent of Operation COTTAGE trained on Adak as well. One of the important lessons from the Attu battle was that the infantry should learn how to walk on muskeg before fighting on it. The vast majority of US troops that fought on Attu three months before COTTAGE had shipped directly from California and never set foot on Alaska soil until they left their Higgins boats on the rocky Attu beaches. Consequently, there was very intensive infantry training on Adak as well as a practice landing and "field problems" on Adak's neighboring island of Great Sitkin.

After Kiska was assaulted on August 15th, 1943, and found abandoned, numerous personnel were stationed there who had already been on Adak; many of these were non-combat forces who nevertheless might want a good blade. The knife in question may never have been carried by an infantryman, but it still has important historical value. As we collectors often wish; if only it could talk!

Immediately prior to Operation COTTAGE, a journalist on Adak noted that most of the men in "Amphibious Training Force 9"--the euphemism for the Kiska assault force--had obtained civilian-made knives whenever, wherever, and however they could. (There were no M3 Trench Knives or even M1918 knives available in the Aleutians.) The only "officially" issued "fighting knives" for Operation COTTAGE were the V42s of the 1st SSF--which were indeed available by that time to the "Force Men." The private acquisitions, along with the Bowie-knife design of ATF9's shoulder patch, led to the nickname, "Corlett's Long Knives," and variations of such, for the units involved. The knives, the patch, and the nicknames were not officially sanctioned by the War Department.

Nice find. I envy the new owner.

I revisited my research materials regarding Operation COTTAGE this afternoon and determined that the 1st SSF did not spend any significant time on Adak. Upon arrival at one of Adak's harbors, it was determined by a small shore party that the original bivouac area was inadequate and the unit shipped instead to Amchitka Island. Their final training occurred there. The 1st and 3rd Regiments of the Force were part of the initial operation, spearheading the assault along with a contingent of Alaska Scouts in the early hours of August 15th, while the 2nd Regiment remained on Amchitka in full jump gear as ready reserve.

I neglected in my prior post to include the 87th Mountain Infantry Regiment, a component of the newly-authorized 10th Mountain Division. This regiment was among those training on Adak in late July and early August of 1943. It was the 87th that suffered the bulk of the friendly-fire casualties on Kiska during the first day and a half of the operation.