Getting the information I need for repros of Grandpop's dogtags

Mr. Standfast

Mr. Standfast

I recently decided I wanted to have some repro dog tags made of the style my grandpop would have worn during WWII. First of all-- were all military personnel required to wear tags? I have noticed in the old photos that it seems like quite a few of the guys in pics did not wear them... I do not really have any photos in which I can tell if he is wearing any or not. At anyrate, I want to have a set made that would be exactly like the ones he would have worn if he did wear any. So this brings up the question, where do I get all the information that belongs on the tags? I would probably need his town of residence before service, Name, religion and, social security number. The social security number is what I wonder about. Now that he is passed away, I'm sure it would not hurt to have it on the tags. But I really don't know how I would find out what it was. I could substitute an imaginary one, but I would like to make these as real as possible. So what do you all think? Thanks!

The years that he was in and the service he was in would dictate what would be on the tags, Army tags changed during WW2 as to format and the tags themselves changed in the 60's. Social Security Numbers were not used until the late 60's before that one was issued a service number. For formats if you google repro dogtags you should be able to find info on the format for his time frame and all US servicemen were issued ID tags of one sort or another from WW1 to the present.

Mack

Mr. Standfast

Thanks for the information. He was in the service from 1941 till at least 1945, if not longer. He went from a private to a lieutenant by the wars end. He would have been US Army and was involved with communication. So what's the best way to find someone's service number?

He would have had 2 service numbers enlisted and officers had different formats. Officers started with a O and enlisted with a number. You can check the archives but many military records were lost in a fire.

Mack

DesertRatTom
How do I find the archives?

For what its worth, try The Military Records Depository in St. Louis, MO. As "Next-of-kin (the ...son, daughter, father, mother, brother or sister of the deceased veteran) must provide proof of death of the veteran, such as a copy of the death certificate, a letter from the funeral home or a published obituary." At Military Personnel Records, SF-180, http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-...rm-180.html#nok (last visited July 3, 2012). Being a grandson, linage should not be an issue, but... it's the Fed, and they are highly protective when it comes to records.

Hope it helps, and good luck.

Tom