Why are real USN helmets difficult to find?

Salvage Sailor

Screamingeagles101

Not hard to find at all haha, just sold the blue one though

USER BANNED FOR MAKING FAKE HELMETS (LIKE THIS ONE)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not know if this one would be Hollywood caliber but this is one of my ww2 Navy Chaplain helmets with Minimal wear.

This would have been a Single Person Use helmet. Im sure Chaps kept this in his stateroom or office, not tossed in someblocker or deck rack like all the rest.

Marty

Dean I never get tired of seeing this helmet.

Marty

Thanks Marty

Its that net that I fall in love with every time I see it

- Dean

I have this Vietnam era navy Chaplains helmet. It was probably reissued to other Chaplains with rotation changes but it is pretty beat up.

Marty

Well, ya know I already like this one Marty!

BILL THE PATCH

Posted Image

Here’s 3 in my rusty helmet garage stash.

Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice picture kammo, I like the not to rusty captains helmet.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Burning Hazard

Question for our vets, were there any instances of putting paint primer on the M1 helmet to prevent/reduce rusting? I remember someone mentioning paint primers being used on ships, then eventually being scraped off due to toxicity.

Pat

Question for our vets, were there any instances of putting paint primer on the M1 helmet to prevent/reduce rusting? I remember someone mentioning paint primers being used on ships, then eventually being scraped off due to toxicity.

Pat

. Well, yes. They were usually sanded/ wire brushed first ( thats why so many Navy helmets are smooth). Then primed with what ever primer was in use at the time (, Red Lead, White Lead, Zink Chromate, which was actually for aluminum, so didnt really work that well, or this green stuff from the 1990s that I dont recall the name of. Then, they got a coat of paint. They were not always completely stripped, often, just the fins and rusty spots got cleaned up, then primed and painted.

If we bothered to paint new ones right out of the box, no, we didnt bother to prime them, just paint over the factory OD.