NAME YOUR FAVORITE U.S. BATTLEWAGON!

DevilDan1900

Im a little partial to the USS Iowa

My father served as the turret 2 electricial from 1951 t0 1953 aboard Iowa. I have a couple of pieces of teak deck planking and some deck plugs from Iowa.

Steve Hesson

My father served as the turret 2 electricial from 1951 t0 1953 aboard Iowa. I have a couple of pieces of teak deck planking and some deck plugs from Iowa.

Steve Hesson

Very Cool Steve!!!!!

After NEW JERSEY BB-62 covered with her guns the withdrawl of French multi national forces from Beirut in the spring of '84, we joined up with USS CAMDEN, and headed west through the Med. We were invited by the French for a Port-of-call at Villefranche, between Monaco & Nice. - A good time was had by all, though it was tempered by the loss of Mike Gorchinski in Beirut, and of SH3 Bob Littlefield in Naples.

The loss of Bob Littlefield in Naples on our return from Beirut was initially regarded as an AWOL, and later as an unsolved mystery. Littlefield was by all accounts a good sailor, a petty officer, and not one prone to just "disappearing" by any means. At that time in Europe, there were militant organizations bent on dealing the U.S. a hurt. Not withstanding the fact that the Port of Naples was for centuries a rough place, period. I had occasion to speak personally with Littlefield's fiance and mother after returning from Beirut and Naples, along with speaking with some of his shipmates from his division on the New Jersey. There is little doubt in my mind that he met with, and was the victim of foul play. No one or organization has to the best of my knowledge ever taken responsinility for his disappearance - A good man, God Rest His Soul, and please comfort his loved ones in the light of his loss.

Here's myself, aka Sgt. Boghots, wearing the insignia of a RM3, though cross-rating to QM3, going on liberty in

Villefranche, France, in the spring of 1984 :

post-6057-1282976535.jpg

Paul

Lookin good Paul :thumbsup:

USS NORTH CAROLINA (BB-55) ~ the "Showboat"

I love this ship; I learned all about her as a 5th grade schoolgirl in 1959. This was the year that the North Carolina was announced to be scrapped. People across the state began to contribute to Save Our Ship (SOS). More than 700,000 schoolchildren contributed 1/3 of the $333,000 raised to purchase the ship from the Navy. My school, Fairview Heights, was one of many which achieved 100% participation in the fund-raising effort; these schools are recognized in a permanent display document aboard ship. Each child who donated received a pass to tour the ship when it opened for public view.

I remember all of this very well. All of us felt as though we owned a part of this magnificent ship, as we still do today. The North Carolina was moved to her present berth at Wilmington in 1961 and was dedicated to the 10,000 North Carolinians who lost their lives in service to their country in World War II. (Interestingly to me, although the ship is the most decorated in this war, she lost only 10 of her crew in this effort - NOT to minimize those individuals' loss.) I've visited the ship on a number of occasions and stand in awe of its beauty and history each time I get that first glimpse of her rising above the marshes of her berth.

Lynne

post-1405-1296231746.jpg

post-1405-1296231757.jpg

post-1405-1296231766.jpg

Manchu Warrior

I am sorry but I really could not resist adding my favorite US Battlewagon. Simply because it is sitting about three feet above my head and even though it takes up a lot of room it actually fits in my bathtub.

post-1412-1296232423.jpg

I am sorry but I really could not resist adding my favorite US Battlewagon. Simply because it is sitting about three feet above my head and even though it takes up a lot of room it actually fits in my bathtub.

bat_wag_001.JPG

What is IT? :think:

It is the "namesake" of the thread anyway :lol:

Manchu Warrior
What is IT? :think:

It is the "namesake" of the thread anyway :lol:

This ship is part of a series of toy ships made by a company named Deluxe Reading back in the 1960's early 70's. It actually takes batteries and rolls on the floor so it would not be a good thing to put in the bathtub. This is set of smaller ships that recently sold on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BATTLEWAGON-READING-TA...T-/120670717021

BB59 USS Massachusetts:

As my family members were all in the AAF or the Army, I never knew much about the Navy. I became interested in the Massachusetts when I spent a night aboard her with our son's Cub Scout Den several years ago and have been back many times. Somehow I always find something fascinating...

post-12350-1282962426.jpg

I'll second a vote for the Massachusetts. My great-uncle served on board her as a signalman after beign a plank-owner on U.S.S. Enterprise (CV-6) 1938-1942. I was able to visit it in the late '80s. Kind of cool to be able to walk & explore where a relative spent a bunch of WWII.

Tim

kyhistorian01

I'll have to go with the USS Nevada! My grandfather served on her from her commision though 1919. He was gun crew first on the smaller guns then on NO 3 turret. here is a photo from his collection of pics.

Robert

post-6492-1296529438.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'd have to second the vote for U.S.S. Washington as it's my home state also and I have a copy of her 1941-1946 cruise book. Signed to one of her officers; Lt. Hoyt Winfield Scott. To time a gun salute; "Load, If I warn't a gunner I wouldn't be here! Fire! From the back of his photo.

• 3 weeks later...

The USS Texas/San Marcos

h63506.jpg

h93700.jpg

USS Texas/San Marcos

USS Texas (1895-1911), later renamed San Marcos

USS Texas, a 6315-ton second-class battleship, was built at the Norfolk Navy Yard. Commissioned in August 1895, her initial service was spent along the U.S. east and Gulf coasts. During the Spanish-American War, she was active off Cuba and participated in the Battle of Santiago on 3 July 1898.

After the War, Texas continued her western Atlantic operations and was flagship of the Coast Squadron in 1902-05. In 1908, she became the station ship at Charleston, South Carolina. The ship was renamed San Marcos in February 1911. Struck from the Navy List the following October, she was sunk in gunnery tests in Chesapeake Bay.

This page features several views of USS Texas and provides links to others.

It ended its life as a target ship in the Chesapeake Bay, near Tangier Island. There is not much left of it now.

• 3 weeks later...

I was on a Hospital Ship, the Sanctuary, then a few Perry class frigates, and some sub tenders, but the Iowa class battleships were the creme of the crop. I was on the Iowa, the Wisconsin, but by far, the prettiest ship ever was/is the U.S.S. New Jersey. Just absolutely beautiful lines!

post-41963-1305334395.jpg

The one that never happened, BB-67, the USS Montana

Man, it sure would have been an awesome ship for sure!!! :crying:

Sgt. Boghots
I was on a Hospital Ship, the Sanctuary, then a few Perry class frigates, and some sub tenders, but the Iowa class battleships were the creme of the crop. I was on the Iowa, the Wisconsin, but by far, the prettiest ship ever was/is the U.S.S. New Jersey. Just absolutely beautiful lines!

Mner-Al,

"Big J" sure looks good there, I take it that picture is taken at here home in Camden ?

I served as a QM on BB-62 in Lebanon, and left the ship in Rota, Spain on the way home. - I will always have fond memories of my time as a Battleship Sailor. - The crew had all the pride of tin-can sailors, with just as much speed and a lot more punch.

Thanks for the posting :thumbsup:

Best regards,

Paul

RustyCanteen
My favorite would be the full scale mock-up of the U.S.S. Illinois

The Connecticut BB-18 was interesting too.

• 2 weeks later...
El Bibliotecario

As a soldier, my only naval experience was participating in an all expense paid trans-Atlantic luxury cruise about the USNS MAURICE ROSE...an experience which made me empathize with the African-American slave ship heritage.

post-2215-1306700211.jpg

Mine also does not qualify as a "battlewagon" But, she is still afloat and still here! Plus, her guns still work!

OK, maybe she is too small for this grouping! But, I can still walk her decks! Can't do that on any of those!

post-45001-1306986170.jpg

USS Slater (DE-766) in Albany, NY

• 2 years later...

My grandfather was the Captain of the battleship Massachusetts from September 27, 1943 until April 8, 1944, until he was promoted to Rear Admiral. As an Admiral in the Pacific in command of Battleship Division Four one of his flagships was the USS West Virginia which had been raised from the bottom at Pearl Harbor. A few years ago I went to Fall River, Ma. and went aboard the Massachusetts. The eeriest thing I did on that ship was get up to the bridge and sit in the Captains chair, knowing that my grandfather had sat in it like 40 years earlier. He retired in 1953 as a Vice Admiral with 43 years in the Navy. He was awarded 2 Navy Crosses, 5 Legion of Merit, 2 Silver Stars, 2 Bronze Stars (12 engagements) and Combat "V", Purple Heart and other various medlas from WW1 and WW2.