CBI Officer's Ike jacket

USMCRECON

Below are pics of the CBI pilot's Ike jacket I got off eBay a short while ago. It has sterling 1LT bars, DUIs, and pinback pilot's wings along with a really nice snap-on bullion CBI patch and AAF patch. It does have a name and what I think is a service number on the label inside the inner breast pocket (see second set of pics in subsequent post). It's in nice shape except for the one annoying moth bite or snag above the wings. Any comments, pro or con are welcome.

post-1107-1201130351.jpg

post-1107-1201130362.jpg

post-1107-1201130368.jpg

Here's the last two pictures, these show the snaps on one of the patches and the label with name/service number/date. The patch on the other side has identical backing material and snaps.

post-1107-1201131000.jpg

post-1107-1201131007.jpg

I was one of the fellas watching and biding on that particular piece. I have about 30 different uniforms of the CBI theater and can not ever seem to have enough. But even I have a ceiling price amount. Nice piece.

pmshindy

Thanks all. I only have 5 CBI uniforms (6 now, I guess). I like the CBI shield and all but one of mine have one variation or another of the bullion CBI shield (the other is a shirt with embroidered shield). This one didn't come cheap, to be sure.

I had loaded a bid into the automated bidding server that I subscribe to figuring that when the dust settled, it probably wouldn't be enough to take it. Then since I've been laying "relatively" low regarding acquisitions over the past few months, I decided to go back in and throw my entire stash $$ (and then some) into this one and, surprisingly, my wife didn't object.....too much. ;).

I was a little worried about the bullion patches until I got the jacket in my hands and had a chance to look them over in person. While I'm not an expert, they seem OK to me and nothing glows under blacklight, not even the thread used to sew the snaps on, and I'm pretty happy with it.

I haven't done anything yet in the way or research on the owner but it seems odd that he would have been a transport pilot in the CIB and would not have at least one Air Medal. I have the feeling something may be missing there. As soon as I can figure out how to do it, I need to find out what his actual entitlements were. I assume with name and service number it shouldn't be all that hard.

The ribbon bar does not seem to add up but it could be just missing as you say. AP ribbon with 3 bronze battle stars. The Unit my Uncle was associated with received 3 battle stars, Burma Campaign, China Defense and the last was for the China Offensive. He looks to have been in all of them. I am sure he was in the 10th AF out of India serving the Hump. There were several units that received the Unit Citation in the ATC.

He must have been in the ETO for some time before arriving in India and China hence the ETO ribbon.

The Bullion patches are real for sure and harder to copy and made to look used. Yours with the snaps on the back are even harder to copy.

I have several different patches with the snaps which are some of my favorite. I have posted some of them before.

For having the Wings, 3 battle stars and Unit Citation, you would think he would have Air Medal with 1 or 2 oak leaf clusters and a DFC to boot.

really nice example and will look great for years of enjoyment.

let me know what you find out on the flyer.

pmshindy

Yes a nice jacket.The ETO ribbon threw me a little too.Not that it was on there but no stars.I have seen stanger things on ribbons.Never know.I saw a nice 14th bullion jacket at a show and in amonst the ribbons was a navy good conduct(???)The ribbons were not the larger stlye Navy/USMC.The guy even had a little paper work with it and a named cap.

Yes a nice jacket.The ETO ribbon threw me a little too.Not that it was on there but no stars.I have seen stanger things on ribbons.Never know.I saw a nice 14th bullion jacket at a show and in amonst the ribbons was a navy good conduct(???)The ribbons were not the larger stlye Navy/USMC.The guy even had a little paper work with it and a named cap.

Doyer, USMC,

Their were many Air Force personnel that transfered from the ETO to the CBI since they did not start in China heavy till late 43 early 44.

Many served their tours over in Europe and still had the fight in them and transfered. I know a guy who piloted C-47's in N. Africa, dropping in the 82nd in to Sicily. This raid our own Navy shot down several of our planes full of paratroopers.

I think this is why their were stripes on the transport planes for D-Day. So our guys could tell that they were ours.

As for the Navy conduct ribbon, and the 14th AF, I am not sure. I do know that the Navy started the OSS and SACO, Sino-American Cooperative Organization, all precursors to the CIA. This was all apart of the Navy. Their were guys in my uncle's outfit, the 27th Troop Carrier Sq. of the 14th AF who on detached services helped these units with radar and radio work behind the enemy lines. All in cooperation with the Chinese. They also helped supply them and transport the troops. Some where along the way this guy my have helped the SACO thus receiving a good conduct ribbon from the Navy. My historian friend died last year so I no longer have my resource on such matters.

Does this jacket belong to an EM or officer?

Can you post pictures? and is it named. I would be interested to know what outfit he was associated with.

thank you,

pmshindy

• 1 year later...
Airborne-Hunter

The Saco group did have 14th AF connections, and there is a mention of the unit in a book written by a Saco member. Also not too long ago, a patch showed up, that had never been seen before and thanks to the USMF it has been identified as a Saco, 14th AF cooperative unit patch. It is quite possible that the above mentioned CBI Jacket could have been SACO related. If some one has photos it would be nice to see the Jacket that is in question. Best ABN :thumbsup: