Land Warfare Hall, IWM, Duxford, Cambridgeshire, England

Sabrejet

Original WW2 gear so kids can hold it and try it on to see how it felt. (I checked the M1...rear seam/swivel loop...nothing special!)

post-8022-1341169326.jpgpost-8022-1341169338.jpg

General Apathy
Missed this one...M4A1 "Grizzly".

post-8022-1341175465.jpg

Hi Ian, love the shot you got of this one above, but just sort of wondered why the plastic sheeting was still over the vehicles if it was open and joe public was freely walking around.

the other point that has me pondering is Monty's caravan being so ' custom built ' and different to nearly all the other vehicles then used by the regular army that it must have been instantly considered something out of the ordinary and a value target by any German aircraft.

Thanks for the photo's ;)

ken

Hi Ian, love the shot you got of this one above, but just sort of wondered why the plastic sheeting was still over the vehicles if it was open and joe public was freely walking around.

the other point that has me pondering is Monty's caravan being so ' custom built ' and different to nearly all the other vehicles then used by the regular army that it must have been instantly considered something out of the ordinary and a value target by any German aircraft.

ken

kind of like standing on a hill waving a flag yelling "here I am"

Jack's Son

"Honest John" tactical nuclear missile.

Which begs the question: Does the UK process in its arsenal tactical nuclear weapons?

"Honest John" tactical nuclear missile.

Which begs the question: Does the UK process in its arsenal tactical nuclear weapons?

That's "classified" JS. If I told you I'd have to.....(you know the rest!) ;)

ken

Ken...the reason for the plastic sheeting on this vehicle (plus a few others) is water leakage! The horrendous rainstorms of the previous week got in through some of the roof panels. It's a precautionary measure.

Re Monty's caravan, it actually once belonged to an Italian general. Monty's troops "liberated" it during the desert campaign and it was subsequently modified for use by him as his mobile HQ / living quarters.

By way of an "extra", this RAF "FOLLOW ME" Jeep could be seen buzzing up and down the flight line at Duxford.

post-8022-1341213909.jpgpost-8022-1341213923.jpg

General Apathy
By way of an "extra", this RAF "FOLLOW ME" Jeep could be seen buzzing up and down the flight line at Duxford.

post-8022-1341213909.jpg

Hi Ian, the ' follow me ' Jeep must have been visiting from Europe for the weekend, the strangely laid out plate on the left does not appear to be a British registration, not certain but possibly Dutch or French maybe. :think:

ken

Hi Ian, the ' follow me ' Jeep must have been visiting from Europe for the weekend, the strangely laid out plate on the left does not appear to be a British registration, not certain but possibly Dutch or French maybe. :think:

ken

Entirely possible Ken. "Flying Legends" is pan-European in that it attracts visitors from France, Belgium, Netherlands and Germany etc.

AAF_Collection

ken

Hi Ken,

I'm pretty certain that's a post war British military registration plate. Interesting that the one on the back doesn't match the one on the front.

Matt.