Little Miss Texas.

patches

Those photos of the young lady launching the USS Texas are incredibly clear. The dresses and the hats are a fashion historian's dream!

Claudia.jpg

Jack's Son

They are fine pictures. I found another thread of a SAW picture on the forum today that was nicely, done for the period.

Those times had their challenges, but today, they look minuscule in comparison.

m1ashooter

The picture is great and timely. The USS Texas is in the fight of her life. She keeps springing leaks and has been closed for almost two weeks as they attempt to plug them and pump her out.

The picture is great and timely. The USS Texas is in the fight of her life. She keeps springing leaks and has been closed for almost two weeks as they attempt to plug them and pump her out.

Right M1, I was not aware of this, this is the latest as of Sunday 1 July.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/ar...ide-3677684.php

bronxboymike

This is a shame. The USS Texas is the sister ship of the USS New York which was sunk at Bikini Atoll, so she's always been of interest to me. Hopefully someone in Texas will step up to the plate and find a way to save this gallant ship. If they could manage to raise $250 Million to build the George W. Bush Presidential Library, I'm sure they could use the same skills to get corporate funding and private donations to properly preserve and care for the ship.

Salvage Sailor
This is a shame. The USS Texas is the sister ship of the USS New York which was sunk at Bikini Atoll, so she's always been of interest to me. Hopefully someone in Texas will step up to the plate and find a way to save this gallant ship. If they could manage to raise $250 Million to build the George W. Bush Presidential Library, I'm sure they could use the same skills to get corporate funding and private donations to properly preserve and care for the ship.

For reference, here's a seldom seen photo of the Salvage/Rescue Tug USS ATR-40 at Bikini Atoll during "Operation Crossroads," washing down the battleship USS New York (BB-34), one of the target ships, after the atomic bomb test. The wash down was done using water from the contaminated lagoon.

US Navy photo via the US Naval Institute.

ATR_40_washing_down.jpg

For reference, here's a seldom seen photo of the Salvage/Rescue Tug USS ATR-40 at Bikini Atoll during "Operation Crossroads," washing down the battleship USS New York (BB-34), one of the target ships, after the atomic bomb test. The wash down was done using water from the contaminated lagoon.

US Navy photo via the US Naval Institute.

GEE WIZ, I sure hope the crewman aboard the tug didn,t all get radiation exposure and die early deaths from this use of the water from the lagoon, would that be possible ? getting exposure some how from the contaminated water ?

GEE WIZ, I sure hope the crewman aboard the tug didn,t all get radiation exposure and die early deaths from this use of the water from the lagoon, would that be possible ? getting exposure some how from the contaminated water ?

Definitely.

• 1 month later...

Okay, while looking at this topic I started, I noticed the link to Little Miss Texas is gone, it goes to a page with Andy Griffith, and that's swell, but it don't pertain to the subject of the Texas being christened in 1912, so If you want to view the original photos and story, type Dont Mess With Texas in the search window and the original page of the Texas and the little girl will be able to be clicked on. here it is again, but if it goes to another topic down the line just type the info in the search window for the USS Texas archive link.

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/05/dont-mess-texas-may-18-1912

• 1 month later...

Our historcal group in Houston is toying with the idea of trying to hit up big corprate sponsors to help save the Texas.

It's a wondeful ship and was involved in the barrage at Normandy, Iwo Jima and Okinawa.

Shame she is rusting away. Me and my dad spent the night on her several years ago.

Quite a treat!

display5.jpg

dadbunk.jpg

Our historcal group in Houston is toying with the idea of trying to hit up big corprate sponsors to help save the Texas.

It's a wondeful ship and was involved in the barrage at Normandy, Iwo Jima and Okinawa.

Shame she is rusting away. Me and my dad spent the night on her several years ago.

Quite a treat!

display5.jpg

dadbunk.jpg

Your Dad looks Snug As A Bug In A Rug, nice and cozy :D

My wife and I looked the Texas over when we were in Houston last month (only had 45 minutes as we got there at the end of the day). She's an amazing ship. They have dreams of building a dam behind her, putting her on blocks and pumping the water out, to make a permanent dry dock. I did my bit by giving them some donation money when were there...

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I don't know about this link Kev, talyor Swift shows up.?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

It was working last night when I bumped it up, will look around later to see if we can't get a more permanent link.

By the way, the first skipper of Texas, Albert W, Grant, was the Great Grandfather of my ex Girlfriend who lived in upper Manhattan, half Japanese she was, she was on her Father's side, of that Scots descent, the Clan Grant, he married a Japanese Girl in like 1951 or so, but he wasn't in the service, he was going to go Navy, an Aviator, but he was in a car accident or something I think in the summer of 1941, I think Texas A&M she once said, which zeroed him out for military service, he was a layman for the Episcopal Church in Japan, she said she thinks he was in the CIA, cause they were all over the Far East in the 50s and 60s, always where there was trouble, like in India in 63, like Sukarno in Indonesia in 65, in fact the reason he was in Japan in the first place was supposed he to go China but was cancelled because of Mao's victory, hmm just in time for Korean War :lol:.

Yeah so my girlfriend was older LOL. born in 53, and it was she that had some stuff about her Great Grandfather, including that photo, the original, of him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_W._Grant

She also had stuff on the USS Grant, like her Aunt was the one who christen her etc etc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Albert_W._Grant_(DD-649)

• 1 month later...

Seems difficult to find conclusive info about Texas. It would cost about the same, possibly less when all is said and done, to scrap the ship as it would be to dry dock her where she is, which is the only why to permanently repair the hull. Apparently money was approved by Texas in 2008 but it wasn't enough? There are a number of proposals for the dry docking and the shipe structure is suppose to strong enough to rest on supports. They are nearing the end of a round of structural repairs.

post-107405-0-76676800-1542338466_thumb.jpg

post-107405-0-03262200-1542338532_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

For anyone not aware of more recent news  the Texas appears to be having a bright and long future ahead of her with extensive restoration in dry dock and a new home. Preparations for which are well under way. Still tbd though the last I checked as far as a more trafficked location goes. 

• 11 months later...

Rewatching The Sand Pebbles and seen on it's wiki, that scenes were filmed onboard Texas in 1965 but where not shown for whatever reason and cut and that the footage now has been lost, lost a long time now.

We gather if it was shown it would of been in the very beginning of the movie as it seems Holman is leaving the battlewagon for his new duty in China, we assume Texas was subbing for another battlewagon, as Holman says he was on the Fleet Flagship, haven't ascertained what battlewagon was Fleet Flagship in 1926. Texas seems only to have been Fleet Flagship starting in very late 1926 early 1927, Holman arrives in China in the summer of 1926.