Heroic DSC Battle of The Bulge Medal Group

tigerfan

These medals were all awarded posthumously to Lt. Eric F. Wood. Eric was with the 106th division and gave his all during the battle of the bulge. His medals and some loose insignia surfaced not long ago after having been put in storage almost 50 years ago. The items from storage were consigned to auction that also included antiques and other misc.. I would like to continue on and tell about Lt. Woods heroic actions during the very short time he was there but there is no way I would do him justice. There are several websites telling of his actions and the type of soldier he was. I have included three links at the bottom that I found interesting. The top link is an incredible read. The bottom "third" link has a 7 minute video and is very moving. When you have the time please view these links. I feel extremely honored to have these medals in my possession. And as long as I have them they won't be put back in to storage.

When I have time I will try and get some research about his awards. It is truely amazing that he has this many awards for only a few days time. Any comments are welcome.

http://www.freewebs.com/106thinfantry-part2/ericfwoodjr.htm

http://militarytimes.com/citations-medals-...cipientid=23078

http://wwwpopblogger.blogspot.com/2010/03/...ric-fisher.html

post-2609-1341099965.jpg

post-2609-1341099976.jpg

F 106 Pilot

This is and incredible group from a great American hero. Congratulations on the honor of being the caretaker of it. Ben

I have a great reference book showing the Belgian awards to Americans from WWII. Here is the page showing the awards posthumously for Lt. Wood.

post-2609-1341102781.jpg

Jack's Son

R,

This grouping is extremely beautiful, and I'm sure will research out to be fantastic. An EXCELLENT addition to your collection! :thumbsup:

A once in a life time addition to the collection !!! An outstanding group to an outstanding MAN ! Unreal ! :salute:

That grouping is INCREDIBLY impressive. I was literally reading about Wood's exploits in the 106th Div. History yesterday, along with an article Ernest N. DuPuy wrote about him. Mentions that he left behind a young son upon his death. Would love to know the story behind how these surfaced. WELL DONE!

BigJohn#3RD

I remember reading LT Erick Woods Citations at the indoor Swimming Pool dedicated to him at VFMA, many moons ago, when I was a Cadet. A few of the old soldiers there knew Erick Woods; not only was he an outstanding Cadet Leader and Student he was the Captain of the Swim Team and set many records of memory serves correctly. A truly outstanding young man and combat leader who left his mark on the Academy, the US Military and the people of Belgium. :salute:

Strength and Honor

De Oppresso Liber

John

Thanks for the comments. I forgot to mention in the first post that he went to VFMA. Also again, please view the links I have attached. Incredible story and a moving video.

Roger.You are Lucky Guy.That is a Great grouping and what a story.Congrats,Robert

Fantastic group to a brave soldier. I visited Meyerode and the memorial in the woods 30 years ago. We got directions from a local lady who said she was a little girl during the war and had seen Woods. The local people were still putting flowers at the marker. It was an incredible experience, and worth seeing if you tour the area.

At first I thought this was a joke.

Really incredible that such medals do show up.

I have read several articles on Lt. Wood and even been in the area where he "operated" (so to speak) a few times.

I truly am amazed!

For starters I thought these would have been in the collection of a museum or so.

Erwin

vicjoy1945

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That's an incredible story of one fighting man...what a fantastic tribute !!

Thanks for sharing !!

Vic

At first I thought this was a joke.

Really incredible that such medals do show up.

I have read several articles on Lt. Wood and even been in the area where he "operated" (so to speak) a few times.

I truly am amazed!

For starters I thought these would have been in the collection of a museum or so.

Erwin

I also thought these medals would have found there way to a museum type setting long ago. But for what ever reason, a family member put them in storage not seeing the light of day for almost 50 years. I figured that showing Lt. Woods awards here on the forum is a good start.