SERE uniform

ASMIC2971

Saw this at a shop around where I live. I have never seen anything like this and would like to get some opinions. The uniform itself is a Vietnam dated OG-107 short sleve version. It has been starched and still holds the starch.

Any opinions would be wounderful since I am thinking about buying this one.

Thanks in advance,

Drew

post-5665-1341085839.jpg

Steve Brannan

I'm sure you know that SERE stands for Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape. I was in the Navy in early 1969 and was sent to a one week SERE school near San Diego just prior to being sent to Vietnam. I remember that some of the instructors had been POWs in Korea. It was not a fun week. I don't recall the type uniforms the instructors wore but it could have been something like this.

If there is no other insignia on it I would guess that it is US Navy. Pretty cool just for the nametapes alone.

I'm sure you know that SERE stands for Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape. I was in the Navy in early 1969 and was sent to a one week SERE school near San Diego just prior to being sent to Vietnam. I remember that some of the instructors had been POWs in Korea. It was not a fun week. I don't recall the type uniforms the instructors wore but it could have been something like this.

Ha, sounds like it hasn't changed much in 30 years or so!

I did the course in the late 90s. It was indeed one of the most miserable things I had every experienced. My fondest memory was the amount of relief that literally flooded over my body when we were finally unbound after having our hands secured behind our heads for the better part of a day. I recall the disorienting forced marches (while starving and thirsty), sitting in a field in the bright sunlight for hours, all kinds of fun things designed to break us!

Awesome, thank you all for the help. I will be heading back to the store on Monday to pick this up (if it is still there).

Drew

Grizzly Adams

+1 Been there, done that, 1968. :)

Corpsmancollector

GET IT! ;)

The tapes are fantastic and look to be done on WWII or Mitchell camo. I'm sure we've discussed some 'Nam ERDL recently with tape stencilled in that way...It may have been one of Spike's topics but I can't remember. Anyone else know further?

Will

• 2 weeks later...

Well I went back last week and picked it up. Here are hopefully some better pictures. I had forgotten about the velcro on the left sleeve, now it is really throwing me for a loop.

Anyways the rundown on the shirt tags are as follows;

Tag found on the neck reads;

14 1/2 X 33

8405-781-8946

Tag found along waist area reads;

Shirt, Mans, Cotton

Sateen OG 107

DSA 100-67-C-0056

I provided some close ups of the nametapes as well. They are stenciled.

Maybe this will help narrow down the unknown, it is and oddball piece but I like it. I dont know if it is a fake or not, I doubt it since the guy that runs the shop really has no idea what is rare when it comes to camo. The modified Ranger top I bought from the same shop was the same price as this piece as well as every other camo uniform, stripped of insignia or not.

Thanks in advance,

Drew

post-5665-1342039031.jpg

Velcro

I forgot to add that the tapes have been on the uniform for a long time. There is plenty of spots where it was pushed into the shirt as would happen during frequent laundering and starching.

Drew

post-5665-1342039148.jpg

• 6 years later...

Here is the patch that used to be on this uniform. I believe it was worn by a Naval SERE Instructor and was for sale at one time on eBay.

post-1389-0-03793400-1534109230.jpg

post-1389-0-60364700-1534109247.jpg

Here is the patch that used to be on this uniform. I believe it was worn by a Naval SERE Instructor and was for sale at one time on eBay.

Thanks for finding that.

I looked at the shirt name tapes and it made me wonder if it was a piece of an old Navy or Marine reverse camo poncho (they used the same style, just with different labels).