WWII USAAF 20th Air Force CPL Ike Jacket - Authentic? Info?

anton67

Hello, I purchased this 20th AF Ike Jacket and I would like some info/opinions about it.

The items shown were allegedly found in the pocket of the jacket.

It was supposed to belong to Cpl Vito S. Schiavone 33 946 027.

The leave papers, flag and pamphlet of civilian life were found in the pocket.

I have two concerns:

1. Why would there be an infantry insignia on the lapel instead of a AAF insignia?

2. I am having trouble finding info on Schiavone.

I ran the serial number on the Archives site to no avail.

I did find this website and he is listed under S as a member of the 20th. www.20thaf.org

20th Air Force Association Web Page

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anton

post-63438-1341083943.jpg

I found this on the WWII Memorial website:

Vito Sante Schiavone

BRANCH OF SERVICE

U.S. Army

HOMETOWN

Roseto, PA

HONORED BY

Vito S. Schiavone

ACTIVITY DURING WWII

PRIVATE 1ST CLASS.

The patches on the jacket match the note, so that is good. The jacket seems alright to me, but the infantry brass does seem odd. I don't have any explanation for that.

more

I find this leave/will be discharged paper very interesting. First time I've seen a WWII (albeit Nov 1946) paper that makes a point of stating "race indicated" and the "(W)" following each name.

Have to look at it again to see if anything other that W indicated.

I noticed the race thing too. obviously antiquated. I wonder if it has anything to do with the base being located in MD.

Is the infantry insignia correct?

Any other info on him would be appreciated.

I can't explain the infantry insignia, but I have seen it before in period photos.

One possible reason Infantry brass is worn is that maybe this Vito guy was a member of Army Garrison Force APO 247 Tinian, Army Garrison Force APO 244 Sapian or Army Garrison Force APO 246 Guam. During WWII the Army had small Infantry units known as Army Garrison Forces, these units would occupy already taken Islands and provide it's Garrison, they also were stationed in the Hawaiian Islands. For instance the one on Tinian may have at first been attached to the Western Pacific Command, (as we see a Western Pacific Command fomer unit patch on the Right shoulder) then was attached to the 20th AF which was also had units on Tinian and as we know the units on Tinian were of a highly sensitive and classified nature that perhaps attaching a Full flegded Infantry unit for security was warranted, this may pertain to the othe Army Garrison Forces in the Marianas, as the 20th AF had units on Saipan and Guam.

• 7 years later...