great biggs AFB item

empireguns

Biggs started out as an encampment in 1915, and became an AFB in 1947. I've flown into there on a couple of cargo hops long ago. Needless to say, the NCOs aboard headed straight for El Paso.

As un-PC as that artifact might seem in the 21st century, I have no doubt it was a genuine concern when produced - just as it is today. In my case, the Dear John arrived while I was still in BMT. I managed to recover soon after getting to Chanute.

Its a great historical piece. I wonder if it came out of the BX or off-base?

Knowing the BX in those days, and the fact that Air Force is all one word on the item, leads me to believe this was an off base purchase. Still pretty funny though.

Randy

Spathologist

I spent a couple of years at Biggs AAF. The hangers still had the cutouts in the doors for the B52 tails to hang out, and the B52s still used the airfield for training.

Never forget the mess and noise those things made.

Rakkasan187

Biggs Army Airfield in still very much alive and kicking. The new CAB (Combat Aviation Brigade) part of 1st Armored Divison has stoodf up and now the skies around El Paso are filled with Apaches, Chinooks, Blackhawks as well as C-17's and commercial aircraft for deployments and freedom flights. The DAAG (Departure and Arrival Center is where the deployments and redeployments come into, which is at one end of the airfield, while at the other end is the CAB.

Leigh