O-3 bars; Army Beveled Edge; Flush Crosspieces

hirsca

Sorry to bring this up again, but I just acquired a second set of O-3 tracks with the same similarities---beveled edges, but crosspieces flush to the ends like USN/USMC. Are these just manufacturer variations or something else? Neither pair have a maker's mark. Thanks, Al Hirschler in Dallas.

post-12790-1341009589.jpg

post-12790-1341009605.jpg

craig_pickrall

They could possibly be for Police and Fire Departments or Security Companies as well as military.

The one with the pin running the length of the bars is unusual. I don't recall seeing that before.

They could possibly be for Police and Fire Departments or Security Companies as well as military.

The one with the pin running the length of the bars is unusual. I don't recall seeing that before.

Thanks for the reply. Both came from Veteran estate sales. The one on the right was recently acquired from the estate of a WW2 officer in the Transportation Corps. I acquired a whole grouping of smalls, including his brassard, whistle with chain, black backed (English made?) SSI, other officer rank, etc., so could it be English made? Thanks again, Al.

Just my humble opinion, but I think what you have here is nothing more than a manufacturers variation. Us ciollectors seem to have the mind set that everything must meet a regulation or specification 100% all the time. Especially in years past a lot of military goods were turned out by manufacturers that didn't meet strict specs. and were accepted into the supply systems. Minor variations are part of the game and just because an experienced collector has never seen one like that, sure doesn't mean they weren't produced and used. Nor does it mean a variation was made especially for and worn only by a certian unit. Sometimes it might have been but normally it just doesn't mean a thing.

(Others opinions may vary.)

Just my humble opinion, but I think what you have here is nothing more than a manufacturers variation. Us ciollectors seem to have the mind set that everything must meet a regulation or specification 100% all the time. Especially in years past a lot of military goods were turned out by manufacturers that didn't meet strict specs. and were accepted into the supply systems. Minor variations are part of the game and just because an experienced collector has never seen one like that, sure doesn't mean they weren't produced and used. Nor does it mean a variation was made especially for and worn only by a certian unit. Sometimes it might have been but normally it just doesn't mean a thing.

(Others opinions may vary.)

Makes sense to me. Thanks Lee.

Al

I agree that this is a manufacturer's variation.

Here is a photo of a 3rd Armored Division Captain. The rank insignia on his jacket has the crosspiece at the end of the bars. His rank appears to be sewn-on, but this is just to show that such things did exist and were used. The photo was taken in 1943 at Ft Inidiantown Gap, Pennsylvania where the 3rd Armored Division was preparing to move to England.

Captain.jpg