2nd Ranger Battalion M1

LetsGo82nd

I had never thought about the replacements coming in just before D-day and them marking helmets … but there again as the men were briefed and incarcerated behind barbed wire - how many replacements came in during that period… I don't think that many because the numbers had already been brought up by 15%. My bet is that they would not have been adding men after they were briefed on the assault - but I have a way of checking that.

If you PM me I will tell you what I know about the marking of helmets.

• 6 years later...
Government Issue

Unfortunately didn't call to request for additional photographs prior to the sale, but thought this was interesting. I'm not ruling out that replacements marked their lids. The gentleman I spoke to over the phone at RIA informed me that the shell did have the same tac marking as the liner. The paint, shape, size, and stencil all are the exact same as the helmet that started this thread that Jeremy had. It's definitely a 2 and not an upside down five. This is the first time I've ever seen that stencil of a 2 outside of this thread's helmet. Here's pics of the screen caps, but there was a marked front seam swivel loop as well, but no photos. 

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/81/1449/us-m1-combat-helmet-with-2nd-ranger-battalion-insignia

Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 10.40.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 10.40.36 AM.png

46 minutes ago, Government Issue said:

Unfortunately didn't call to request for additional photographs prior to the sale, but thought this was interesting. I'm not ruling out that replacements marked their lids. The gentleman I spoke to over the phone at RIA informed me that the shell did have the same tac marking as the liner. The paint, shape, size, and stencil all are the exact same as the helmet that started this thread that Jeremy had. It's definitely a 2 and not an upside down five. This is the first time I've ever seen that stencil of a 2 outside of this thread's helmet. Here's pics of the screen caps, but there was a marked front seam swivel loop as well, but no photos. 

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/81/1449/us-m1-combat-helmet-with-2nd-ranger-battalion-insignia

Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 10.40.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 10.40.36 AM.png

“Unfortunately” how?  I don’t understand your point.

Government Issue

I had something come up and wasn't able to call them for more photos than what's available on the website before the auction occured. They couldn't do it as it's already been sold and shipped. Was hoping to get photos of the lid. 

42 minutes ago, Government Issue said:

I had something come up and wasn't able to call them for more photos than what's available on the website before the auction occured. They couldn't do it as it's already been sold and shipped. Was hoping to get photos of the lid. 

Ah, ok.  Thank you.