A few new pieces of gear WWII and VN

ASMIC2971

Here are a few pieces of field gear I picked up while on vacation. The large one is a Boyt dated 1945 and obviously my favorite of the two.

Enjoy,

Drew

post-5665-1340935427.jpg

Inside of the buttpack. Can anyone help me decode the DSA number as far as what year this would be from. I presume Vietnam.

post-5665-1340935527.jpg

History Man

Very nice marked pack! Do you know what the Boyt marked bag is? Saw one at the flea market but didnt know what it was.

Philip

Hello Drew Your Boyt marked bag with 1st cav div marking is a M-1944 cargo pack modified or made to M-1945 cargo pack standard. Notice the marks for placeing the straps on the lower front and back for the straps that would attach it to the combat pack.Allen

Hello Drew Your Boyt marked bag with 1st cav div marking is a M-1944 cargo pack modified or made to M-1945 cargo pack standard. Notice the marks for placeing the straps on the lower front and back for the straps that would attach it to the combat pack.Allen

Or the soldier might have removed the straps himself. Not 100% on the mods to turn it into a m-1945.maybe somebody with more knowledge on the mods can help. Allen

It hasn't been modified to the M-1945 standard, it's just missing the quick-release straps. The extra straps/buckles to turn it into the M-1945 are not fitted to this one.

Would put money on it being turned into a simple carry-all bag by the soldier by removing the quick-release straps.

Cheers,

Glen.

Thank you all for the info on these bags. Two questions still.

First one is directed at Darby, or anyone else, what does E.P. stand for?

Second, can anyone help me on dating the Vietnam butt back?

Drew

• 1 month later...

Drew

Good Grief Youngster: E. P. is for Elvis Presley - "Taking Care of Business" his motto !

Drew

What Jim said......Elvis Presley! Son are you one of those "aliens" from out space we've been hearing about? :think:

Oh and your second question.....Elvis carried one just like it in the late fifty's and early sixties in Germany. I think it predates that however. Also let me tell you that while he was carrying it......he was "taking care of business"! :lol: