U.S. Navy vessel losses WWII

patches

Wow..that's quite a sobering list when you see it like that...reads like a phone book! :o And yet...despite those terrible losses, the USN still ended the war as the world's largest and most powerful navy!

When you look at the numbers for 1942, you have to wonder what the mindset was with the navy's brass...4 carriers, 7 cruisers, 25 destroyers, 7 submarines...that's a lot of inventory, especially when one considers what remained as they were trying to accelerate shipbuilding.

It was bleak, to say the least, as 1942 was winding down.

I have always been interested in the British Royal Navy losses, I know they lost a great deal of major warships.

I have always been interested in the British Royal Navy losses, I know they lost a great deal of major warships.

Capital ships such as HMS Hood, HMS Repulse, HMS Prince of Wales etc.... I just checked Wiki and there's no published list for the Royal Navy as there is for the US Navy.

Thanks Kev! :thumbsup:

Your welcome. There is also on this page off to the left side info on the Causalties from the losses, both British and Dominion in WWII, The Home page for this site also has loads of other clickable subjects on Naval History.

bronxboymike

Nice link. Although the USS Princeton should be in a separate category as she was a CVL not a fleet carrier. And the USS Langley while recommissioned as an AV, seaplane tender, at the time of her sinking was serving as an AVT, which is an aviation transport ship.

Mike

Yes I use this Wiki catagory all the time, one of my most go to links.

What is sad is when you read about the submarines that went to do a combat cruise and they never returned, never saw it written all in one place.

:salute:

LF

I echo Ians words it is a very sobering list. What I found impressive was the lack of big ship loss's after the carrier battle group concept really got up and running and the smashing defeat of the Naval forces of Japan at Midway.