Another Ebay Tragedy

Patriot

History Man

Now that is just ridiculous!

I do know it is someones freedom to dispose of items they own but there has to be a line dont you think?? I mean I can understand a huge grouping of the same shirts and jackets not really telling a story but when it is a nice little trunk grouping or a uniform I do not see why it should be split up.

I was at one of the Military Shows last year and I saw an AAF dress tunic and shirt both patched and named to the same man. They had them priced separately and I would have purchased the pair to display together but they had them at ridiculous prices. Surprisingly the same day there was a nice AAF trunk grouping with items from this mans career. It had his sports uniforms (military), 2 flight helmets, his complete pinks and greens as well as his khakis, I believe there might have been a couple medals and some other gear. It was priced separately as well and was gone in minutes (almost everything sold to a different person.)

Philip

Now that is just ridiculous!

I do know it is someones freedom to dispose of items they own but there has to be a line dont you think??

Who sets the line? You? Me? The forum? Congress?... really the line is wherever the seller wants to set it since where he or she thnks the line should be set is different from where you may think it should be.

Everyone has the right to collect, buy, sell, display, their items however they want. Personally, I tend to live by the motto of our forum "Collectors Preserving History". To me personally that means trying to keep items/groups in tact to preserve the intergrity and the history of a group. This however is just my interpretation and the way I personally collect. I don't expect everyone else to feel that same way and therefore try not to pass judgement on the way others collect or sell.

Happy Hunting!

JD

Who sets the line? You? Me? The forum? Congress?...

Now were a gettin' somewhere! :smokin:

As most all of the items that we collect, were Issued/distributed as "United States' Government Property"; I believe that a grassroots effort is in order:

I have already contacted my Congressman, The Honorable Welfried N. Wallabeeze, who has responsibly agreed to sponsor:

"H.R. 556.762.45.04-07-12A":

"The Omnibus U.S.G.I. Militaria Collection, Grouping, and Consolidation Act of 2012."

Key Provisions of the Bill:

1. Anyone involved in the possession, sale, purchase, transfer, or trade of any item that has, was, or will be Issued by the U.S. Government, and to or for use by our U.S. Armed Forces Personnel, shall be required, under penalty of law, to keep any and all items obtained, or found to be, having been "Issued to the Same Individual during their Tenure of Service"*, shall remain forever (and a day), together; and not be separately dispersed in any manner, shape, or form.

*[Hereinafter referred to as "Grouping".]

2. Each item shall be required to be marked with a new identification number, commonly applied to each and every item within said "Grouping", and indelibly stamped or engraved, in a visible location.

The new Identification Numbers, and Stamping Equipment, will be available from the U.S. Division of Taxation and Finance, for a fee yet to be determined.

3. It shall be further required, and punishable under penalty of law, to use the "ID/Tax Stamp Numbering Equipment"* for falsely and/or purposely attempting deceit, in attributing items of unknown origins, to a specific Armed Service Member (AKA, commonly: "A Put-Together").

*[Hereinafter referred to as "IDTSNE".]

4. Any and all items construed, considered, or 'thought to be' from the same "Grouping", shall thus be first submitted to the newly created "U. S. Department of Military Surplus Grouping Affairs"*, for verification; prior to application of the "IDTSNE", to any items within said, or supposed, "Grouping".

An assessment fee, yet to be determined, will be imposed based on number of "items" submitted, for verification purposes.

*[Hereinafter referred to as "USDMSGA".]

5. The "USDMSGA", reserves the right to confiscate any item(s) that it believes may have been unlawfully obtained, fraudulently described, deceitfully gathered as a "Grouping", or for any other reason whatsoever; including that of "Just On A Whim" or "Felt Suspicion".

6. With the Provenance of Lawful Fact, that All "U.S.G.I. Military Surplus"*, is, was, and can still be considered as "United States Property":

Any and All: possession, trade, transfer, purchase, disposal, acquisition, collecting, gifting, including gifting to succeeding family members, shall be under the jurisdiction and auspices of the USDMSGA; and is inherently, and necessarily, subject to the "IDTSNE".

*[Hereinafter collectively referred to as US Militaria, or simply "USM".]

6A. Pursuant to the above (6): Any and All "SINGULAR ITEM(s)" of "U.S. Government Issue" (USM), and not simply the combination of a claimed "Grouping"(s), shall also be under the jurisdiction of the USDMSGA; and is inherently and necessarily subject to the "IDTSNE".

6B. Furthermore, and pursuant to the above (6): "TRUE LEGAL OWNERSHIP", of ANY and ALL, "USM", shall be Subsequently and Retroactively Transferred as "Legally Owned" by the U.S.A., as stated in the (fine print of the):

"Re-Inventoried Property of U.S. Militaria: Policy Division"*, a newly created adjunct section, of the "Defense Reutilization and Marketing Office (DRMO)".

While authorized, approved, and properly marked "IDTSNE", "USM" items, will be allowed to remain in the "CARE" of those who are in compliance with the terms, and conditions, of the "USDMSGA"; failure to comply, may result in the Revocation of those Privileges Set Forth.

*[Hereinafter known as "RIP/USM-PD"]

6C. The newly formed "USDMSGA" shall now be responsible as the primary hierarchical "Divisional Authority", with the "RIP/USM-PD", and the "DRMO", now being subjugate and subordinate to the "USDMSGA"; and responsible for Administration of "USM"; under the Provisions set forth, into Law, by the "The Omnibus U.S.G.I. Militaria Collection, Grouping, and Consolidation Act of 2012."

7. Those individuals whom have interests and indulgences of, or in, the acquisition, possession, transfer, or trade of "USM" items: for "historical and collecting" interests, or simply 'to-turn-a-buck':

Shall remain cognoscente of the fact that, said individuals, are all simply the "CARETAKERS" of these items of USM.

Those that Fail to Follow reasonable, prudent, and lawful, "Caretaking Procedures"; shall be liable for prosecution, to the fullest extent of the law.

Not 'just' simply "of" the actual items of "USM"; but of MOST ESPECIALLY:

In and of the Area of Remembrance, Respect, and Honor, for those who have "Proudly Devoted their Service" to this "Great Country of the United States of America"; and ACTUALLY have used, and cared for, these items of "USM", in their Armed Forces Service, to the U.S.A.

"ALL GAVE SOME; SOME GAVE ALL." :salute:

HAVE A RESPECTFUL, GRATEFUL, SAFE, AND THANKFUL INDEPENDENCE DAY.

RustyCanteen
I agree with Bugme on this one. I'm a helmet guy, and I hate putting down three grand for a helmet, a stack of patches, a pile of cloth, and a ton of hats. I want the damn helmet! ....... The important thing, as Bugme touched on, is to keep the history with each individual piece.

Basically, this is what it comes down to. A lot of collectors specialize in one thing, be it helmets or web equipment, bayonets,etc. If someone bought a group, kept what they wanted; which is better, dump the unwanted stuff into the trash or pass it on to other collectors who would like to own it?

Definately, the history is the most important piece of an artifact (and that is what what a piece of WWII history is , doesn't matter if it's a helmet, uniform or a pair of socks. IMO) is it's past.

so.mostyank

TO SOME GUYS THE HISTORICAL VALUE OF ITEMS HAVE NO MEANING BUT MONEY,MONEY,MONEY!!!!! THAT GUY SHOULD HAVE HIS HAND CHOPPED OFF. SO.MOSTYANK