"Let's Go!" 3rd Battalion/325th PIR/82nd Airborne Division beret.

Sabrejet

The 325th PIR (formerly GIR) has a long tradition of being a spearhead of the US Army. In WW2 they landed in gliders on D-Day. In the post-war era they were at the forefront of Operation Urgent Fury and both Gulf Wars. The beret illustrated here, typically, has had its lining cut out so there is no label present. However, I believe it to be of 80s vintage.

post-8022-1340788481.jpgpost-8022-1340788493.jpg

...... The beret illustrated here, typically, has had its lining cut out so there is no label present. However, I believe it to be of 80s vintage.

Any idea why the soldiers would cut out the lining?

HGButtentee

Well, I assume the reason ist the same as when I did so serving in the german Army. They are a lot easier to shape and keep the sharp look a lot better without the lining..

The process of changing your brand new issue beret that looks like something my italian pizza guy wears to a sharp looking, tank busting stare complimenting piece of headgear involves secret ingredients, showering, a lighter...

JS, yes. Linings were cut to help shape it better. Same with the stiffner by many. Also, shaving the beret, to get rid of the "wooly" look, which also helps shape it.

It's common to cut out the liner, unusual that the tails were left intact. The liners are cut out for 1) better appearance 2) better fit and 3) to cut down on the heat retention of having a piece of wool stuck on your head in summer. I wore one for almost 4 years. They are a pain and I'm glad the army reversed it's decision to go back to patrol caps as the standard headgear. Here's mine, 229th Aviation (Airborne), the left one was made without a liner, the right one I had to cut the liner out of:

post-32676-1340810396.jpg