101st Airborne Division in the Holland Campaign

PETER HENDRIKX

A really terrific recent book about the U.S. side of Market Garden is "September Hope" Incredible! D-Day was a superbly planned operation that had a badly flawed execution relative to the airborne segment. Market Garden was an horribly planned operation that had a superb execution.

I really never appreciated what the airborne had to do until I read that.

What incredible soldiers!

Blachwk, thanks for that info. It saved me alot of headache. I came home today to find the package on my doorstep......one book! D-Day Minus. If you hadnt posted your info I would have been bouncing of the walls wondereing why I hadnt got both books. I look forward to Orange is the Color and hope it is here tomorrow. This book (D-Day Minus) is great and only half the size!

• 2 months later...

New big shiney book about Holland with lots of big pictures in the same style as the other classic 2 books.

The whole story told to perfection leaving no stone unturned.

If you are into 101st in WW2 you need this book.

Highlight for me was seeing a M-43 field jacket with M-42 jump jacket pockets sewn on the sleeves .

book has 560 odd pages and needs 2 men to carry it so if you have a bad back do not buy this book it weighs the same as 2 bags of russet red potatos on a good day muck and all.

owen

I bought those books at the publication at castle Heeswijk.

There are 2 books: Orange is the color of the day (about the 101st airborne during Market Garden, including dressed mannequins, very rare photos etc).

The second book is d-day minus, 17 september 1944 (preperation of 101st airborne for Market Garden, also a lot of dresse mannequins en rare photos)

If you are a 101st collector, or you want to have reference material, I recommend to buy those books.

At the publishin, both authors signed my books, and the 3 veterans that were there (Jack Womer, John Primerano and Ray Nagell)

• 2 months later...
Fender Rhodes

While the books are wonderfully constructed and contain many new or rarely seen photos, there are a number of mistakes which takes away from the overall quality of the book. The majority of the mistakes were made with regard to the 506th PIR. I will be glad to elaborate with Peter if he wants to contact me via PM.

R/

FR

• 1 year later...
PJK Hendrikx

While the books are wonderfully constructed and contain many new or rarely seen photos, there are a number of mistakes which takes away from the overall quality of the book. The majority of the mistakes were made with regard to the 506th PIR. I will be glad to elaborate with Peter if he wants to contact me via PM.

R/

FR

Hi Fender Rhodes,

As I forgot my pass word and it takes a rocket scientist to fix it, I haven''t been able to post for a long while, but here I am again.

All my sources for the texts were original documents, veterans and all published books on the 101st, which I quoted with a critical eye. However, all mistakes and interpretations are mine.

After the publication of a recent book "Fighting Fox Company", I discovered I made a mistake in my book by writing that Lt. Thomas Rhodes was commander of F Company, 506th PIR. He was a platoonleader instead of the company commander. I assume you are related to him? Of course I welcome your comments; you can contact me at [email protected]

Best, Peter

• 3 months later...
PJK Hendrikx

Johan,

We aim to publish in December. Unfortunately we're unable to finish it before September, but it will be worth the wait.

Peter Hendrikx

Gidday Peter

I have both volumes of the 101st in Holland and can't wait for the 82nd. Would you guys be doing the same for the British and Polish Airborne in the campaign.

Phill

respectingthesacrifice

Agreed with Phil... And please don't forget North Africa and Sicily, very interesting topics too!!!

• 2 weeks later...
PJK Hendrikx

Thank you for your interest in our books; it is always good to know our efforts are appreciated. We have plans to do a book on the 82nd Airborne Division in Sicily but it might take a few years. We have no plans for a book on the British/Polish Airborne contribution.

If I speak for myself, I would also like to do a book on the 17th Airborne Division in the Varsity Rhine jump. Many great photographs were made but it is hard to tell if people would be interested in the 17th AB. Their story is certainly worth telling.

Peter Hendrikx

respectingthesacrifice

Peter

I would personnaly be interested in Sicily and Varsity.

Books on other topics than Normandy are very welcome! Good to remember other operations!

Eric