101st Airborne Division in the Holland Campaign

PETER HENDRIKX

Peter Hendrikx and Michel De Trez have received the Medal of Excellence from the Embassy of the United States of America for their contribution to the preservation and transmission of American history.

Congratulations.

PETER HENDRIKX

Gregory, David and Skyline Drive,

Thank you for your kind and positive reactions to our books. We're glad you appreciate the work we put into the books and hope they are a worthy contribution to the legacy of the 101st Airborne Division.

The American Army Attaché in the Netherlands did us the honor to accept the first copy of our books and in appreciation he gave us the Coin of Excellence. This will remind us that our next book about the 82nd Airborne Division in the Holland campaign, titled "Burning Bridges", should live up to the standard we set ourselves.

Check out our facebook page for photos of the presentation;

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Paratrooper-...349122821837590

www.d-day-publishing.com

Thank you again for your support and interest in our books!

Peter Hendrikx

Hi guys,

Wow!!! My copies arrived Friday, what can I say an absolute must for anyone with an US airborne interest, yes it was worth the 10 year wait.

Regards

Russ

Have any US members received their book(s)?

A mass email went out last week saying all preorders were shipped, I'm assuming, the week of the 17th.

I'm just anxious to get them and was wondering if the US orders have started roll in.

Received mine today; they look great.

I am really into signed books so I was disappointed that one of the books was not signed. Bummer.

Looking forward to relaxing soon and reading.

PETER HENDRIKX

Gregory,

Thank you for your interest and support.

I don't know what I can add to the You Tube film. I don't know who made it and put it on YT, but these are some scenes of the presentation in the Heeswijk Castle on September 14. During the presentation I told about Michel De Trez and myself, our cooperation, the making of the book, what our book adds to the existing literature about Market Garden, the sources of the photos, interesting backgrounds of certain photos and the purpose of our book.

Colonel Leo Buzzerio, the American Army Attaché to the Netherlands was present to accept the first copy. Also present were three veterans of the 101st Airborne Division; Ray Nagell of the 321st GFAB, Jack Womer of the 506th PIR and John Primerano of the 501st PIR. Their attendance made the presentation a great succes.

Peter Hendrikx

I know some people have moaned that this book is not on a deep discount at Amazon. Having worked in the book biz for far too many years I have to admit the authors did the right thing by self publishing it and making it avaiable only from them.

These are specialty books, and thus cannot be printed in mass quantities in China for cheap. Plus, I can tell you the quality of the work in just the "actual book" (paper, printing, etc.) is really high quality, and doing it right does not come cheap. Of course, any one that is anyone in the paratroop world knows at least one of Detrez Books, and so they will sell sight unseen. And it's not like all of a sudden it will hit the NYT best seller list. And I dare you you will never ever find it remaindered for $1.95.

By NOT going through a distributor, you are paying a small price in hassles, but you are getting a much higher quality book, at a lower cost that had he gone through traditional paths.

And the physical quality means photos are clear, pages will not fall out, colors will not bleed and distort over time, and all that good stuff.

(sorry, I was just having an argument with someone about book prices and it annoyed me that they thought everybook should be $9.95 at Amazon.)

PETER HENDRIKX

Hi Texas Longhorn,

Sorry to hear one of the books was not signed. I noticed every individual reader has their own wish whether or not they want the book signed and how they want it signed. Some want it signed to them personally, while others don't. But I hope the content more than compensates your disappointment. Getting WW2 veterans to sign the book, regardless of their unit, makes the book truly special in my view. I have many veterans' signatures in my books!

In general, I believe the books are sent from France, Michel De Trez lives in Belgium and I live in Holland. So I guess it is getting hard to get both of us to sign the book, unless you meet us in person or at a militaria show. For that matter, we will be at the Ciney Militaria show in the Ardennes later this month.

Best, Peter Hendrikx

Received mine today; they look great.

I am really into signed books so I was disappointed that one of the books was not signed. Bummer.

Looking forward to relaxing soon and reading.

Thanks Mr. Hendrikx. It was probably just an oversight I'm sure. Two of the three books I ordered were signed.

I know you guys have been very busy.

They are excellent books.

Peter -

Just ordered both books today - ordered autographed copies but sounds like I may or may not get them signed, which is ok,a bit disappointing, but I understand the circumstances.

Curious - I ordered off the DDay Pub site - will I get an email confirmation and/or some notification when the books ship?

Also, I was extremely excited to hear that a companion series on the 82nd Airborne in Holland is forthcoming.

Thank you and best regards

Bill K

PETER HENDRIKX

Bill,

Thank you for ordering both books; you will not be disappointed I promis. To be honest, I don't know whether you'll receive a confirmation or not. To be certain I'd suggest to email the publisher.

Yes, I am also very excited to start working on "Burning Bridges", our book about the 82nd Airborne Division in Holland. We aim for September 2014, but don't hold us to that date. We never know what happens in between.

Best, Peter Hendrikx

Peter -

Just ordered both books today - ordered autographed copies but sounds like I may or may not get them signed, which is ok,a bit disappointing, but I understand the circumstances.

Curious - I ordered off the DDay Pub site - will I get an email confirmation and/or some notification when the books ship?

Also, I was extremely excited to hear that a companion series on the 82nd Airborne in Holland is forthcoming.

Thank you and best regards

Bill K

Bill,

Thank you for ordering both books; you will not be disappointed I promis. To be honest, I don't know whether you'll receive a confirmation or not. To be certain I'd suggest to email the publisher.

Yes, I am also very excited to start working on "Burning Bridges", our book about the 82nd Airborne Division in Holland. We aim for September 2014, but don't hold us to that date. We never know what happens in between.

Best, Peter Hendrikx

Peter -

Thanks for getting back to me - You suggest I contact the publisher, but isn't D-Day Publishing the publisher?? I'm confused.

Best,

Bill

PETER HENDRIKX

Bill,

D-Day Publishing is our publisher. If you wish you can contact them at [email protected] to make sure the order came through and when it is sent.

Best., Peter

PS. Today we put our first "Then and Now" comparison on our Facebookpage. Check it out at;

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Paratrooper-in-Normandy/349122821837590

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Peter

I received my books , map and signed by you and Michel. I have waited 10 years and have not been disappointed with the thoroughness you and Michel have gone into to detail from the smallest item , showing pictures of WWII chewing gum packets to the amount of pictures involved in the operation and everything in between concerning personnel , uniforms and the famed old abe in its full glory. I liked the pic of a platoon leader inspecting one of the troops and has finger on old Abe and why there is NO airborne tab! I wonder what was said. But that is the detail these books go into. Well done it is a salute to the 101st, US Airborne and to the memories of those Americans who gave the ultimate and to all Allies that participated in the operation and freedom of Europe. I can't wait to get the 82nd story and hopefully will you guys add The British Ist Abn and Polish story. Again congratulations on a magnificent effort.-Phill

I can't wait to get the 82nd story and hopefully will you guys add The British Ist Abn and Polish story. Again congratulations on a magnificent effort.

Peter & Michel did unique and excellent job.

I count on the 82nd duology very much as well. The British 1st and the Polish 1st? Would be fantastic but if possible? In the meantime am happy to see at least 12 Polish surnames in the "D-Day Minus – 17 September 1944" and at least 18 in the "Orange Is The Color of The Day". All of them were the Polish-born Americans so we had in M-G "our" boys in both US Army and the Polish 1st Independent Parachute Brigade.

By the way -- I do not know if it is the truth but in the circles of the Polish historians and reenactors of a.m. Polish para Brigade there is a "legend" about "bad Dutchman". He reportedly has thousends of the photographs of the Polish Brigade taken in the Netherlands but he does not want to show them and release. But am emphasize that am not sure what kind of "information" is it -- truth or not? There is so many bad emotions in the midst of collectors, researchers, historians, reenactors...

I have to have this book set! I saw it briefly at the MAX as I was leaving and had no more cash! I found the D-DayPub site to order ........my only question is how much is shipping to USA? The site list the 2 vol. set at 124 euros( I am guessing thats about 175 US) Anyone in the US who ordererd this book is able to tell me what the totla was? Thanks, Dave T.

Dave T. -

When I ordered the books a few weeks ago I was sent a confirmation email from Michel De Trez himself informing me that the publishing company had negotiated a cheaper shipping price and that I would be charged 159 Euros total for the two books, so 35 Euro for shipping. Hope this helps.

My question to anyone from the US who has ordered the books, roughly how long was it before you received them?

Best,

Bill K.

Dave, I can echo Bill's comments above. I emailed the D Day Publishing address with a question/concern regarding the total cost of the order with shipping.

Michel was also nice enough to email me personally explaining the situation. It came out to approximately $35 or so for me as well, which he stated covers postage and no handling charges (for what it's worth).

Michel then reminded me that both "Orange" and "D Day Minus" packaged together are quite heavy. Judging by the pictures I've seen on here and FB, I tend to agree.

Hi guys I paid 59 euro or $US 73.0 for shipping to New Zealand. Michel was good enough to explain they are heavy 6kg / 13lbs and negotiated a special pricing from 124 euro. I had no issues with that and ordered straight away.

The reason why, after 10 years of waiting for this mammoth work and having several other books from this series, I know the the breadth and depth of research the authors would go to.

When they come out with the 82nd "Burning Bridges" and any other in this series I wouldn't blink an eyelid for shipping.

I can say the same for when Jack Angolia's mammoth works , Heroes in our mist come out and a lot of other authors on the forum and their forth coming books, the amount of effort and passion they put in is staggering.

Believe me you will not be disappointed.-Phill

• 3 weeks later...

Dave T. -

When I ordered the books a few weeks ago I was sent a confirmation email from Michel De Trez himself informing me that the publishing company had negotiated a cheaper shipping price and that I would be charged 159 Euros total for the two books, so 35 Euro for shipping. Hope this helps.

My question to anyone from the US who has ordered the books, roughly how long was it before you received them?

Best,

Bill K.

Keep in mind I ordered both of the new Detrez 101st books as soon as they were announced, however once they were 'released' for the public, I got mine in approx 3 weeks in the US (IL). Both books were shpped in 2 seperate boxes and arrived the same day. However other people that I know in the area received theirs either both at the same time or 2 different times. Days apart in some cases, but w/the same ship date. Both books are well worth the shipping cost!