101st Airborne Division in the Holland Campaign

PETER HENDRIKX

PETER HENDRIKX

All,

Michel DeTrez and I, Peter Hendrikx, are happy to announce the release date of September 15 2012 of our long awaited photo book about the 101st Airborne Division in the Holland Campaign, titled "Orange is the Color of the Day". The book will be presented at the commemoration ceremonies at Heeswijk Castle, the dropzone of the 1st Battalion of the 501st PIR on September 17, 1944. More details of the release will be posted here.

The book has 720 pages and 1.000+ photographs of which the great majority has never been published before. We also paid special attention to the quality of the photographs. First, like you've come to expect from Michel's books, we don't like small prints. Further, the great majority of the photos are digital copies of the first, original print. The density and contrast have been digitally improved, so in many cases the quality is even better than the original print. If photographs were not available we used stills from Signal Corps footage with surprising results. We were also able to scan the original 120mm and 35mm negatives of local Dutch photographers, which resulted in an even better quality and detail.

The story of the 101st Airborne Division in the Holland campaign will be told in photographs. All photos are identified by either date, location, identification of individual soldiers, equipment and historical context. Often all these leads have been identified. This resulted in very informative extensive captions. Like Michel's previous books, rare Airborne equipment is spread throughout the book where it is relevant.

The book will be divided in the following chapters;

1. Introduction

2. Marshalling Yards. This chapter is devoted to the boarding of the Troop Carrier C-47's and WACO gliders at the airbases in England.

3. The Drop Zones and Landing Zone. This chapter shows the parachute drop and glider landing near Heeswijk, Eerde and Son.

4. Son and the Division Service Area. The capture of the Son Bridge and the activities of the glider pilots in the Division Service Area are dealt with in this chapter.

5. Eindhoven. The liberation of Eindhoven by the 506th PIR and the defence of the reinforced 506th RCT east of Eindhoven. "Band of Brothers" fans will love this chapter as we uncovered interesting new photographs.

6. Best and the Son Forest. The 502nd PIR and the 327th GIR in the Son Forest, the POW's and the amazing story of Joe Mann, MOH.

7. St.-Oedenrode. The liberation of St.-Oedenrode and the capture of the bridge by the 502nd PIR. Also the road cut will be discussed in this chapter.

8. Eerde and Schijndel. Heavy fighting of the 501st in the Eerde-Schijndel area.

9. Veghel and Uden. After Eindhoven, Veghel was the second most photographed town that was liberated by the 101st. The capture of the bridges by the 501st will be shown through many photographs.

10. The Island. After Market Garden was over, the 101st Airborne Division served almost two months as regular infantry south of the Rhine near Arnhem. Many rare photos show their ordeal.

11. The Medical Support of the 101st Airborne Division. The unsung heroes of the medical service get the credit they deserve.

This book is a great addition to the existing literature of the 101st Airborne Division as it follows their action in photographs and highly detailed captions step by step. Even those who've been studying the 101st Airborne Division for many years and believe the've read all there is to it, will discover many new facts about the great achievements of the "Screaming Eagles".

With 720 pages and more than 1.000 photos, the price is € 99,00. After the release in September 2012 it is only available at the website of D-Day Publishing, www.d-day-publishing.com

Thank you for your patience; we assure you will not be disappointed.

Peter Hendrikx

Peter, thanks so much for confirming this book is finally being released! I look forward to purchasing my copy this September!

Corpsmancollector

Peter,

Thanks for the update and congratulations on finalising the book. I've been looking forward to seeing it for some time. I assume you won't be able to purchase it through Amazon after the release?

Will

PETER HENDRIKX
Peter,

Thanks for the update and congratulations on finalising the book. I've been looking forward to seeing it for some time. I assume you won't be able to purchase it through Amazon after the release?

Will

Thank you Will for your interest. No, the book will only be available at www.d-day-publishing.com

I gues ordering it here is just as easy as ordering it through Amazon.com.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the up date on the release of this new book!

I'm pretty sure this will be a Great Buy Sound's like a Must for anybody intrested

in U.S Paratroopers during WWII i sure will buy a Copy of this to add to the Library in Sep,

Thanks for the Heads Up :thumbsup:

Regards

Tomás.

Johan Willaert

I had the pleasure of going thru roughly 200 pages of proofprints in Nomandy earlier this month and if you like rare original pictures, you will not be disappointed!!!

Johan

Sounds like a perfect depiction of the people and these times. Please alert us when we can get on this site to order.

Thanks and I shall look forward to that notice.

Corpsmancollector
Thank you Will for your interest. No, the book will only be available at www.d-day-publishing.com

I gues ordering it here is just as easy as ordering it through Amazon.com.

Peter

Thanks Peter. No worries, will keep an eye on the site!

• 1 month later...
PETER HENDRIKX

post-5561-1345151723.jpg

August 16, the 70th Anniversary... A rendez-vous with history!

On August 16, 1942, the Army created the first paratrooper divisions, The 101st Airborne Division and the Fort Bragg, N.C.-based 82nd Airborne Division would go on to redefine war strategies from World War II.

70 years ago, military officials weren't so sure the 101st "Screaming Eagles" would find success. However their combat operations turned out to be some of the most crucial in U.S. history — the D-Day invasion of France, and Market-Garden bridge too far. The first commanding general of the 101st, Maj. Gen. William C. Lee, said his men had no history but had a "rendezvous with destiny."

Today you have a rendez-vous with history.

Orange is the Color of the Day, the pictorial history of the 101st Airborne during the liberation of Holland is now finalized and in the printing process. 560 pages, over 850 photos, 75 euros.

From the same series, we are also publishing, D-Day Minus, the pictorial history of the 101st Airborne in preparation for the invasion of Holland. 208 pages, over 300 pictures on the airfields in England and all new equipment adopted for this operation, in color photos. 49 euros.

Both volumes will be available for shipping on September 17, 2012. You can today place your order on our websites, day-publishing.com or paratrooper.fr and benefit from our special offer: for the first 100 buyers of the two volumes, receive a free color 1/1 reproduction of the map of the 101st Airborne drop zone.

If you want an autographed copy, your order must be placed on our site d-day-publishing.com <http://www.d-day-publishing.com>

If you want your Paratrooper gift points to be added, it is imperative you place your order on Paratrooper.fr <http://www.paratrooper.fr>

We want to draw your attention to the fact that these two books are a limited edition of D-Day Paratroopers Historical Center Publishing, available in English version only and they will not be available from other retailers, such as Amazon or others.

On September 14, an official release during which the Military Attaché at the American Embassy, Netherlands, will be presented with the first copy of the book in the presence of the press and veterans, will be hosted at Heeswijk Castle, Netherlands. This event will open the commemorations and celebrations of Operation Market-Garden. It will be followed, during the weekend by a book signing with both authors and veterans.

If you wish to receive an invitation to this presentation please contact us.

Johan Willaert

Thanks for the update, Peter...

Will both books be available for purchase (and autographing) at Heeswijk on the 15th September???

Thanks,

Johan

PETER HENDRIKX
Thanks for the update, Peter...

Will both books be available for purchase (and autographing) at Heeswijk on the 15th September???

Thanks,

Johan

Johan,

Yes, Michel and I will both be present from September 14 to 16. The book can be purchased there and autographed upon request.

Thank you for your interest,

best, Peter

• 5 weeks later...
Johan Willaert

I picked up a copy of both books from the authors at Heeswijk Castle yesterday and I have had difficult times putting them down in the past 24 hours...

They are absolutely fantastic and well worth the wait!

While some of the pictures have been published before and some are stills from WW2 USArmy Signal Corps footage, the vast majority of the photos have never been shown to a large audience and do include a couple of huge surprises...

For the first time in my long collecting career have I now seen a photos showing two Converto Dump Jeep trailers in use in the ETO.... And another photographic evidence of an RL35 Reelcart hooked behind a Jeep trailer...

And so many more extra-ordinary pictures and details...

Yes, these are expensive, but if you have an interest in the September 1944 Holland AB-Operations, these books are must haves...

Right...ok. Thanks Johan! :thumbsup:

Kia Ora Ian

I am getting mine autographed plus I get the repro invasion map (first 100 to order) :thumbsup: .Ive been been waiting for 10 years. Don't forget this is a 2 volumes and the site has pictures on the website :w00t: -Phill

Did you win the NZ Lottery Phill?! :lol:

Ian if I did I would be meeting you today to discuss how much pinger for your collection, alas all I got was a bonus ticket and dashed dreams!!!!And some how , I don't think the bonus ticket is going to get me to Wales!!But I am really looking forward to this book, it will fit nicely with my The First Airborne Task Force by De Trez..........Phill

Ian if I did I would be meeting you today to discuss how much pinger for your collection, alas all I got was a bonus ticket and dashed dreams!!!!And some how , I don't think the bonus ticket is going to get me to Wales!!But I am really looking forward to this book, it will fit nicely with my The First Airborne Task Force by De Trez..........Phill

By the time it ships down to the land of the long white cloud the first re-print will be available! :lol: (Good on Gats getting the Lions, eh?! Hope we manage ok without him! :think: )

By the time it ships down to the land of the long white cloud the first re-print will be available! :lol: (Good on Gats getting the Lions, eh?! Hope we manage ok without him! :think: )

EEC post , you can't go wrong , I just hope they don't get mixed up with Zeeland in Holland!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Peter Hendrikx & Michel De Trez,

Your newest Dutch duology is throwing on knees. My great congratulations for both of you. You have to know that am extremely exacting reader who does not accept the level of many publications dedicated to the US WWII era airborne (mainly gliderborne) forces.

I received today both copies of the Peter Hendrikx/Michel De Trez's newest duology plus extra map. It was worth to wait 10 or maybe more years to take these books in my hands. For me it was 10 years, for the authors' friends maybe more? For the first time I heard about the "Orange…" project in 2002 when I was a publicist of the Polish MoD weekly and interviewed Michel for this magazine. Today am 10 years older but wiser now in several aspects of the Market Garden. Both authors -- thank you very much for your gigantic (like I guess) effort and work at this Dutch duology.

I am preparing two reviews now of both volumes of the duology. I am one of the moderators on the Polish-operated Normandia 44 online forum which is dedicated to the US activities in ETO as well as 2nd ID there, because the website and forum belong to one of the oldest Polish reenactment group portraying WWII era US Army, the 2nd ID now. But general ETO threads, including airborne ones, are discussed there as well. Will post both reviews on this forum soon.

Thank you very much, one more time congratulations for your hard work and a final effect.

Warm regards from the US Abn/glider maniac

Gregory

Hello,

I have both books, and i would say it's a great job make by Peter and Michel. The photos are incredible and the mannequins very nice !!!!!!

Thanks

David